Ghost Colors

Ben Fargo

I like the blue, yellow and red ghosts that were shown in the August dev diary.  It will be very helpful to know if there will be some voxel distortion or the intended operation is not permitted, but I was wondering if there will be an alternate indicator for someone who is colorblind and not able to distinguish them.

I was thinking there could be some kind of warning in the info box for the construct.

jHQbJdD.png

It would also be nice if the ghost helped us to know how and why the voxels will be deformed.  In this case, I thought the deformation would occur because the part being added both slopes down and tapers inward, while the first example only had the slope.  I expected the voxels along the outside edges to deform, since those would be affected by both the slope and the tapering.

9Tzt1xa.png

This means I do not understand why they are deforming, but I would like to have more information to help me learn why they deform the way they do.  Maybe there could be some indicator in the ghost to show how each voxel is contoured as the overall shape changes.  This should be an option we would need to turn on, since not everyone would want that much information, but for those who really want to understand what is happening to the voxels, it would be very useful.

@Ben Fargo at 99% probability NQ actually chose Blue / Yellow / Red, due to the nature of colorblindness.

I am green colorblind, and the "yellow" indicator I can tell easily apart from the Red and Blue ones.

If a person is Blue colorblind, they will be able to tell which one of the three indicators is the "blue" one.

Now, if you are wondering "but what about monochromia" - AKA, black and white colorblind- then, adding more stuff on the screen is going to cause even more of a headache to a person who's monochromic on their sight. If you think reading dark grey text over grey background is fun for you, try do that while playing a game. Trust me on this one good sir, it's not fun.

And I can bet you, NQ will actually add "pulses" later on, to help the colorblind with the designs and indicators. Why? Cause that's what is the norm with such situations when designing a game. Ther's a reason mosst MMOs have "pulsing" outlines around mobs. You see the NPC highlighting as red and orange, the colorblind person's eyes though "click" on it and associate the action.

Cheerios.

P.S. : Stop overthinking simple issues like that :P Game's in pre-Alpha.