Likelihood of running pre-alpha on my Macbook Pro?

Saul Retav

I don't think I'll be able to get a decent gaming machine until the beta, so any ideas on what would be adequate to participate in pre-alpha? I know it's impossible to really predict how the game's going to perform at this point, but I'm inexperienced and hoping someone can at least give me an idea of my laptop's potential with Boot Camp.

Macbook Pro Specs:
2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

39 minutes ago, Haunty said:

You really need dedicated graphics, Intel HD won't cut it

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It looks like I might be able to run an eGPU through thunderbolt though... Even though I'm on thunderbolt 1, as long as I had a thunderbolt-3-compatible enclosure it'd be future proof and I could just use an adapter. I'm not sure how effective it would be bottlenecking through 10gb/s thunderbolt though (also used for my external display).

14 minutes ago, Sualretav said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It looks like I might be able to run an eGPU through thunderbolt though... Even though I'm on thunderbolt 1, as long as I had a thunderbolt-3-compatible enclosure it'd be future proof and I could just use an adapter. I'm not sure how effective it would be bottlenecking through 10gb/s thunderbolt though (also used for my external display).

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pcie-slot-dgpu-vs-thunderbolt-3-egpu-internal-display-test/

Stats for eGPU to thunderbolt 1/2/3

@Mazillus Thanks for the link. I was just reading through all that.

Well, I'm looking at a 20% performance drop with this setup - which should be negligible with a good enough GPU.
Still, that'll put me out ~ $700. I wish the crypto miners would stop buying up all the GPUs and inflating the price. =P

trend.gpu.chipset.geforce-gtx-1070.8489b3dd8a0e186e0e54429209c9b325.png

Go AMD, for $900 you can get a decent platform to game on. And when comes to GPU 1060/ RX580 should be good enough. Let miners go for newest Vega bonanza. When comes to high end 1080 still makes more sense to go green team. But when comes to CPU RED team hold better value for performance/price ratio

Well, I'm crushed. Turns out even with the a new GPU my CPU will be too much of a bottleneck... :(

This is seriously depressing.

Option 1: buy a new computer.
Option 2: don't play DU.

(option 1 would require selling some of my investments... :()

i doubt a dual core will work cause the voxels need the cores hence why the game runs on a 960 2 gig mobile version but likes an i5 and a i7 even better 

Btw i see the op did buy gold BUT that hd 4000 might be alil rough but hey maybe you can tweak seetings through properties and ini files tog et it to run some what that i7 will help alot tho

13 hours ago, yamisniper said:

i dont think it will but like the guy below your post whatd ual core you might be able to upgrade it to a quad or 6 core

I looked into upgrading, but my laptop's size doesn't support an upgrade.

I've gone over my finances and it looks like over the next month I can pull together a nice hackintosh (I prefer Macs, so I'll just dual-boot Windows for DU). I'll probably miss the grand-pre-alpha opening by a couple weeks and it'll be a painful blow to my wallet, but with the motherboard I'm looking at and an i5-7600 with OC potential, it should last me several years.

And I'll FINALLY have an actual gaming rig. I can't wait to put this thing together. B)

(I think my profile picture needs an update...)

21 minutes ago, Sualretav said:

I looked into upgrading, but my laptop's size doesn't support an upgrade.

I've gone over my finances and it looks like over the next month I can pull together a nice hackintosh (I prefer Macs, so I'll just dual-boot Windows for DU). I'll probably miss the grand-pre-alpha opening by a couple weeks and it'll be a painful blow to my wallet, but with the motherboard I'm looking at and an i5-7600 with OC potential, it should last me several years.

And I'll FINALLY have an actual gaming rig. I can't wait to put this thing together. B)

(I think my profile picture needs an update...)

Going to build a PC and boot windows and OSX on it right?  Would be the best value 

I don't think the non (k) processors can be overclocked.  I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I've owned a locked processor.

Processors are rarely the bottleneck in gaming, but from what it sounds like DU may be an abnormality in that regard 

1 hour ago, Hades said:

Going to build a PC and boot windows and OSX on it right?  Would be the best value 

I don't think the non (k) processors can be overclocked.  I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I've owned a locked processor.

Yeah, I'm in the market for the unlocked processor. It'll probably be $200.

1 hour ago, Hades said:

Processors are rarely the bottleneck in gaming, but from what it sounds like DU may be an abnormality in that regard 

I think that used to be true, but looking at the latest AAA games... some don't even start with less than 4 cores.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:17 AM, Sualretav said:

Yeah, I'm in the market for the unlocked processor. It'll probably be $200.

I think that used to be true, but looking at the latest AAA games... some don't even start with less than 4 cores.

4 cores isn't much of a requirement.  An i7 mobile chip can run all AAAs.  CPUs are rarely a problem.  Unless you went AMD before ryzen.  Any i5/i7 in the past 5 or so generations will run AAA without a hiccup.

Very few games are CPU intensive, ashes of singularity being one.  Perhaps DU being another, won't know until we get in.

• 1 month later...

I think you may also have an issue with just 8GB memory as pre-alpha requirements are 16GB. This will likely reduce as the game is optimised over the next year or so. 

You also would have to run DU under WINE to get it to run, so thats extra overhead ram wise and graphics wise (Im facing that issue running Ubuntu Linux here).

5 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Late but you might be able to use something like Liquidsky or some other cloud gaming pc provider to run DU

I've never heard of them. I mean maybe but the latency.... actually that would be strange? The client would get a good connection to the server, but yours would be worse than the clients connection to the server.... I'm guessing?

It's like a detached VPN essentially.