Newest DevDiary

SimonVolcanov

Hope I'm the first one! 

This months DevDiary includes info on the (Pre-) Alpha, a view at the game menu, a glimpse at the inventory system, redesign of the cockpit widgets and several things about building and scripting!

This one has me more excited than the others. It's like... All of the little things from all the other dev diaries, combined into one big video showing them all working together, coupled with the news that we get to play it in less than a month.

6 minutes ago, SimonVolcanov said:

I especially like the headlights. I wanna see some police drones hunting a thief or murderer in the forest, each equipped with a headlight...

Ha I thought the same thing! I was like, it would be awesome for there to be a practical use for searchlights in the forest. I was imaging scenarios.

I'm curious about the material textures; does each material have its own texture, or can you apply a set of given textures to any material?

And also, 20m screen... Billboards, just like everyone wanted!

Really happy to see the cool new UI, I played the old one at Gamescom. While it was usable, the keybindings and the readability weren't that good. But the old UI was just a placeholder. The new UI seems to be way better.

Also the new Textures look very nice.

Some of the new Elements are really great. For example having a bigger bar at the bottom of the screen unit makes it way more easier to align it. Wasn't easy with the current one. Also the new lights look very promising.

NQ is really exceeding my expectations on DU ? Very good job NQ ?

3 hours ago, Sharknoon said:

Really happy to see the cool new UI, I played the old one at Gamescom. While it was usable, the keybindings and the readability weren't that good. But the old UI was just a placeholder. The new UI seems to be way better.

Exactly that! I was a bit worried that what we saw at Gamescom would be the "design" they would go for pre-alpha release... but the new stuff has a much more "polished" feel to it!

I wonder why they didn't show us that build at Gamescom... probably they just finished it a few days ago! xD

Also that autonomous drone is amazing!

...to make it follow someone around is neat, but I wonder if you could program a fully fledged autopilot using that new radar unit shown in the end. (e.g. navigating to a certain waypoint using collision avoidance) Ok, they said automation will be very limited, but we'll see! ;)

This is great, I think a "creative mode" pre-alpha test is a smart move for NQ. Scaling and performance have been my greatest concern so testing that and getting a load of people to build a bunch of stuff lets them stress test the game engine and their server architecture. If they waited to get the mining done it may take a long time to find any show stopper performance bottle necks due to the need to build up inventories and production chains.

4 hours ago, CyberCrunch said:

Exactly that! I was a bit worried that what we saw at Gamescom would be the "design" they would go for pre-alpha release... but the new stuff has a much more "polished" feel to it!

I wonder why they didn't show us that build at Gamescom... probably they just finished it a few days ago! xD

The build they showed at gamescom was the build from july with some of the august features added in arrears. The august build was very unstable at that point so they decided to use the july one.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

If they can get 1000 alpha testers in one world, building and flying ships from one planet to another, they will absolutely KILL Star Citizen.

Can't wait  :P

I'm a big fan of advancements in gaming and DU, in my opinion, is miles ahead.

If they can pull this off they will be setting a new bar in gaming history.

The game they are trying to build is on the edge of what is possible.

pre-alpha:

1000 players

1000 constructs

1000 planet voxel edits per/s

It reminds me of CCP when they released their single shard universe back in 2003. Now 14 years later its Novaquarks chance to make gaming history.