Ship Building

"

Good day(or night) all who read I was wondering when the game comes out are we going to build ships or is the game going to provide it for us or even both. will production cost be mineral and money or only minerals.

I'll jump in quick here to (try to) stop a lot of trouble. Ships will be built by players and player-run organisations. While I don't know if there are going to be NPCs that give ships as rewards to quest completions (like the ones seen in the Dual Universe videos and screenshots), for the time being, the developers have spoken only of players building their own form of transportation."

There will be some very basic designs given at the start or "unlocked" with "skills". Now this is based off of the information given from the alpha gameplay dev blog so I'm not sure this will go for launch as well. but as far as I am aware there will not be a quest system in place. 

Quote from ABOUT THE ALPHA GAMEPLAY

The next experience for you will probably be to try and build one of the construct blueprint available in your inventory. Like, for example: the hover car, or the balloon powered explorer vehicle, or… the rocket!

All you need to assemble them is to find the raw materials

"A warning to all who will harass my Aether family member: Stay away. Protection is fierce. Let me handle his questions. Paragon, let's talk on the PM for a while."

"Cute kitten....I hope the Aether has not been infiltrated by the COPS already..."

Would not bet anything on that aetherios, infiltration as I have stated in another post can be a big problem for an organization - so watch your back, for your own sake and safety. 

Would not bet anything on that aetherios, infiltration as I have stated in another post can be a big problem for an organization - so watch your back, for your own sake and safety. 

"Well, I believe Yamamushi and nietoperek wouldn't be much interested in the Aether...Then, again...everybody is interested in the Aether, they just don't know it yet!"

• 4 weeks later...

OK the basics are voxel ships that are fully editable by the owner with so far mat black grey and metallic, but not shiny, white. JC attached copper to those ships in the demo. Attach the elements to the voxel matrix to define flight, propulsion, sensors, crew seating or cockpit. I suspect the cockpit does no define flight direction.  On finalisation everything is defined as the one thing for movement purposes. 

The resulting ship has a big bounding box as indicated by the collision in the game-play video. Yet that does not effect players. They are dealing with a smaller bounding box of the elements. 

The voxel engine supports fixed direction gravity, on the station and spherical, to the centre gravity on planets.

[it would be very interesting if it could do radial, out from an element defined axis. That would give us a semblance of centrifugal artificial gravity: Stanford Torus, O'Neill Cylinders, etc, every National Space Society member would buy the game and that is most of NASA and almost every astronaut. It would not actually be rotating but an animated texture on the out side would appear to fix that. ]

Ship flight is as a unit so there is no tracking of loose bits like in space engineers. That's their main source of lag. Battle damage DU will probably not blow stacks of stuff off to create tons of lag. Combat is tab targeting, logically the player and the elements or the bounding box not the voxels them selves. No bullet physics to mess about with.

Cutting a ship in half may be possible with "weapon mining" of the voxels, assuming you are  left with only two bits for the game to track (and a rage quitting newbie or two). Calculating the new bounding box will be fun particularly if the rear gunner surprises you by having a backup control seat handy. You just turned one angry ship into two! 

The server demo shows that the large number of players or stuff in a fixed space problem has been solved by JC baillie by decoupling the servers from specific in-game locations and tying it to population density and by making the update rates inversely dependant on distance. A sniper sight may over ride this for seamless long distance engagements. Size affects this distance update effect. 

Arkzone crowding can be solved with a few player built newbie busses dropping people off out side town and an in game emulation of Uber. 

So from what's shown it does look like you can build the ship of your dreams and fight each other with it, with minimum lag issues. Cloud computing for the win! 

If you're worried about your ship building skills we should have a dozen player made stock designs before the end of the Alpha testing phase. And we will need to test the sales tools for those designs so I guess you just volunteered. lol. 

PS I'm not a dev or alpha tester, I need to update my computer before that sort of shenanigans.