Considering a pledge

Skunk

Hey there fellow wanders of the universe!

I am a long time EvE player along with a host of survival games. This project on the surface could be looking like my new addiction... So I have a couple of questions & comments before taking the plunge to pledge. and please forgive me if they have been asked and answered.

Eve Online is known for its incredibly steep learning curve (which frankly kept me interested in the game for years so it's not a bad thing), and is infamously known by some as a 'Spreadsheet Simulator'.

Frankly there is no right or wrong way to play Eve Online. What Eve Online lacks is the ability to build something unique like a ship or space station that doesn't look like every other space ship or station in the universe.

What I am hoping that there is nothing to stop a player from jumping in solo, mining for minerals, running missions (player or AI made), manufacturing, holding cargo or resources and manipulating the market. Where things really become interesting is having conflicts with players over territory, over resources and even over identity or philosophy. That is what I am hoping for Dual Universe.

Do you think DU is being developed in these directions? If so I may have a new place to call home and wreak havoc.

One last set of questions: What is the death penalty? Do you loose everything when you die? Is there perma-death? Do you create a lootable corpse when you die? Can I take a trophy from your corpse?

If you are looking for me; find the most wretched hive of scum and villainy in the universe and i'll be drinking at the bar. Come and say hello and maybe we can do some business...

Mephitidae aka Skunk

Hello and welcome to the forums Skunk,

Solo play is a possibility, the only think in your list that is for sure not gonna happen is AI made missions/quests, all missions/quests in the game will be player created.

The death penalty is talked about in some of the devblogs specifically the one about the res nodes. short version is when you die you are transported back to a the closet res node you have access to, you will lose random items in your inventory along with any ship you were flying in.

here is a faq page we as the community made for easy navigation.

Yes it seems like it will be entirely possible to play solo. I plan to play solo a bit in the beginning, but like Eve, team play will be advantageous and provide a more complete experience.

There are already lots of us eve players here, so you're good.

There's no pve (No mobs, missions, npcs). 

It'll be hard to play solo because you can't do everything alone, but it should still be possible. Just be smart about the mechanics and you're good

As everyone said, you will be able to play solo, but prepare to have a tougher time alone, and maybe not be able to do the same things as big groups do, not that i think that will take away too much from your experience, on the contrary i believe it will be the most intense route to follow.

Welcome on board!

Hello! Good to see more eve players joining in :)

You can always play solo, but it will be a more difficult experience than playing with a group. There are no invulnerable stations in this game with infinite storage capacity like in eve, so storage is more of an issue. This makes it hard to trade in market manipulating quatities by yourself. 

On death, you lose some of the items in your characters inventory and some stay with you. I'm not sure whether lost items become lootable or if they just disappear. Many mechanics are still under development so that may change. 

No, it will feel very different from EVE. The focus has been heavily on the voxel manipulation of terrain and buildings, with customization, pvp, market simulation, and other fascinating game play taking a backseat to mining and building.

2 hours ago, Neopolitan said:

No, it will feel very different from EVE. The focus has been heavily on the voxel manipulation of terrain and buildings, with customization, pvp, market simulation, and other fascinating game play taking a backseat to mining and building.

I think you are describing Space Engineers here.. DU will have full player driven economy. Politics and commerce will be an integral part of the gameplay. In that respect DU is very much like EVE. On top of that add what looks like much more detailed VOxel based building and 'real world' physics  (a dash of KSP).

You can think of DU as combination of SE, EVE, Minecraft and Entropia Universe to some extend.

All the hopes you have for this game are ours too. And the only reason we pledged is because we believe in it :)

Some of us following this project from over a year and over that period of time nothing has changed our faith in this project.

Personally I would add there is more unexpected stuff happened as a extra addition already.

So if you really want to pledge.. 

Alpha in mind? Expensive but you will get your hands on some basic tools very soon.

Beta? You will get more complete package ready to try out your ideas in practice... but not official launch. You will still participate in debugging process.

Keep in mind this is not early access game. It's an old school Alpha/Beta when people actually testing features. Almost forgotten function these days.

If you looking for all those things above, you are in right place..

By Pledging you buying DAC, witch is essentially time in game later on. So, this is not paying for access itself.

So pick your addiction level and just DU it! ;)