I know that NQ doesn't have any kind of road map for wheels at this time. And while I'm sure that's based on their projections to having a stable single shard Universe. There have been other threads started about wanting wheels for the sake of having them but not too much linear thought down that line of what we would do with them beyond the obvious. 

So I propose (Assuming we get wheels and any other form of locomotion) we work towards having a Planetary scale race track!

For those who have seen the Anime 'Redline' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH7eBCTu_eM  There is a Race that is held in 3 teirs. Blue, Yellow, then Red 'Line'. At the highest class about a dozen racers have a ground race where the vehicles go sometimes several hundred miles per hour with the race lasting somewhere in the 1+ hours range. The main Idea for this race is primarily based on this anime.

-A track would need to be built with crazy speed in mind, varying types of vehicle types and weight to power ratio classes.

-So wheeled (if implemented), hover, *anti grav*?, skid, legs, possibly a flight type as well.

-Could do a Newton output maximum with a weight minimum perhaps. 

Would like to know some feed back on if this would be something everyone would be interested in doing. Have all corporations and organizations large and small compete in this race that could impact the winner in a huge way. Vehicle designers could be awarded contracts for having their blueprints churned out by large military factions wanting the winning design. Drivers could be hired out based on skill shown in the lower brackets and be sought after by the highest bidder. There are tons of opportunities here!

There are some key issues I'm sure I'm unaware of that could make or break this idea but wondered what everyone here thinks.

(Please remember to be constructive with your criticism, if you think this is a terrible idea please detail it) 

pAr3TPsl.jpg

"A good idea, but it will have to be created by players, not Dual Universe. All in all, it will provide a good chance for shipbuilders and craft builders to showcase their creations and allow for a good get-together. Brilliant idea! Let's hear what the others have to say."

I like this idea quite a bit. I have been thinking about a planet dedicated solely for shenanigans and tournaments for a little while. Arena's, race tracks, bumper ships...... Jenga. 

"All from the idea of a small racing patch. You see, Dual Universe forums are places for the creative. Who wouldn't want a nice tournament--more so an entire planet made for it. Diplomats would want to prove trivial things about the importance of trade exclusivity and pirates would want to joust and compete for fun! (and sell candy floss)"

This kinda adds to the idea we could make Mech's of some sort. But where i mentioned legs being a form of locomotion, or rather a bracket for a type of vehicle to be raced, the anime IGPX (Youtube) would be awesome to recreate as well.

make3d05_02.jpg

Game mechanics that allow players to actually do something? Like piloting a vehicle in a race? Learning how to take corners at the right angle, how to brake not too early and not too late?

It would be nice.

But with the direction in which DU is going, it may end up as a damn branch of the bloody skill tree. Good pilot? Someone who chose that timer bar and waited long enough. And then he goes "tab racing": Picks the destination, selects "race to this point" from a menu, leans back and watches.

Game mechanics that allow players to actually do something? Like piloting a vehicle in a race? Learning how to take corners at the right angle, how to brake not too early and not too late?

It would be nice.

But with the direction in which DU is going, it may end up as a damn branch of the bloody skill tree. Good pilot? Someone who chose that timer bar and waited long enough. And then he goes "tab racing": Picks the destination, selects "race to this point" from a menu, leans back and watches.

That's true, there are currently released details of the game that parallels to the Eve pilot learning, however there are going to be many parallels to Space Engineers as well which leans towards the 'player' skill being a factor in how any vehicle operates.

To elaborate, just like in FPS games using w.a.s.d to move and mouse to aim will be a factor for many functions of the game. Your skill as a player will be a determining factor in this regard. The skill learning system (as i know it based on my research through the dev blogs so far) is going to be aimed at being the limiting factor on your availability to tools, parts, and tech level. The skill learning system being elaborate enough for the player to just click on the finish line and have the ship to fly there seems a bit outside the intended function of the skill leaning system game-play. 

Taking that into account, assuming your 100% correct, that could also add another entire tier to the race brackets. Completely automated drone races! We also know that LUA has a large part of how automation 'could' be used in the game so a LUA savvy programmer could make a drone and have it compete in the race. Coding would / could be based to have the drone adapt to a track it could have never seen before and deal with other drones it is competing with. Or perhaps have a fully revealed track or even drag races. Pulling back a little bit, skills learned put towards auto pilot could leave the player to setup turrets for attacking competitors. 

Drone.jpg

The rules applied to the race could be a way to determine how a player would setup his skills. Have brackets where 100% player piloting is required, LUA programming blocks could be banned, or limits placed on complexity / capabilities for the craft, or none at all even.

That all being said, I would prefer the learning system to be tailored towards making the most modular to all situations system as possible. T1 thrusters T2 Thrusters etc etc.. with some custom to the character improvements based on the blueprint research. 

I would like to know what information you read to lead you to your conclusion. I have tried to verse myself on as much of the dev blogs as possible and I didn't come to the conclusion that the skill tree was going down that direction.

It would be nice.

I believe tab targeting only applies to the combat. at least the way the video shows it. it looks like you actually control the ship itself.

on a different note for this thread. I see this as a good way for different ship building organizations to show off their goods. both showing off styles and speed and all that. id like to see maybe a death race style race on top of it. be interesting as well

I believe tab targeting only applies to the combat. at least the way the video shows it. it looks like you actually control the ship itself.

on a different note for this thread. I see this as a good way for different ship building organizations to show off their goods. both showing off styles and speed and all that. id like to see maybe a death race style race on top of it. be interesting as well

I think he meant a tab of a skill tree, kinda like WoW

Vulture Corporation would support a racing league. And we would certainly build some ultra quick craft for use in such events.

Glad to have your support! Defiantly will be fun to have you compete with the Couch Testing division of Ninja Clan Fu.

• 3 months later...

I was planning to create an organisation of that kind, so you can count me in.

As everybody else, I don't know where the game is going in terms of skills training but if a pilot as "+2% to thrusters power", I have no problem with that, it opens new career opportunities with specialized training.

If one can get too high bonuses, there will need to have pilot categories or something.

Concerning the place of LUA and driving assistance in racing, some combinations could be interesting:

- build a ship, program its script and pilot it

- get a standard ship, program its script and pilot it

- get a standard scripted ship and pilot it

- build and script an automated racing drone (sounds like a dream, but if you've played Mindrover you know it's possible)

Industry needs to advertise its software as much as its design.

A racing league with enough members and teams could run more than one of these options.

Having some experience with Trackmania and never having finished the "1-hour track", I think the tracks should be a lot shorter than that.

Realy good idea. Make a corporation or many corporations who take all the tracks of the galaxy one time or else by year. After take the best tracks of the universe, one or two by galaxy and for califications and after that the championship. Make a leatheer board to let our name in the legend. Of course there will be money and other rewards to win. Make corporation is a part of lua. It is not an obligation to make wars, something more intelligent can be done, in peace. Of course there will be violence and peace and a little both of them. The choice is ours. There is a lot to create

Realy good idea. Make a corporation or many corporations who take all the tracks of the galaxy one time or else by year. After take the best tracks of the universe, one or two by galaxy and for califications and after that the championship. Make a leatheer board to let our name in the legend. Of course there will be money and other rewards to win. Make corporation is a part of lua. It is not an obligation to make wars, something more intelligent can be done, in peace. Of course there will be violence and peace and a little both of them. The choice is ours. There is a lot to create

This is exactly what the Intergalactic Hovercraft Racing Committee DICE is about.

• 4 months later...

I think that projects like this would make the game great, even if its core gameplay was boring, or if it was as buggy as space engineers. Fun events and such are so much better when the players have to band together to make them. I hope to see this in-game someday