Realistic Limitations

mrfrazz

Hello,

I am a casual gamer who loves sandbox style games. I've been a hardcore Minecraft fan since the beginning also pre-alpha and I always will love the game for what it has done to this industry, and unfortunately it's starting to run dry for me. I'm also a huge fan of EVE... well the concept of EVE. I love reading up on the game and hearing stories from veterans during the BoB wars. I wanna be apart of that, except leading a fleet of my own imagination and devastation. This game promises that... it's an excitement I haven't had since I was a child.

I want to be apart of the testing, helping this game grow. The only issue is that I just feel weird about investing my money in the game this early... but I want to. I'm really hesitant because I don't know what the player can't do. I've caught a few on the videos, like auto locking due to update frequencies, and no mining drones (really sad about that, but your reasoning was well justified... I was thinking of monopoly too), and no planet destroying superweapons, Totally fair. You mentioned fairness What rules do you have set out to maintain "fairness"? What can't I do because of technical limitations and what cant you do?

Those questions are the only thing that is keeping me from pledging. They're the questions that kept me from No Man's Sky and I want to be able to trust this game.

Thanks,

Frazz

So you've heard lots of good, and you want to know all the bad? I can respect that. 

The game is meant to be a huge scale sci fi single shard mmo. This means the game will be running constantly, and everyone is playing in the same game. Since nothing is perfect, this will obviously have limitations. You're right about limtations on automated weapons, and mining can only be done manually by the players. 

There are some other drawbacks too. Planets will most likely never move from their point in space (though they may rotate about their own axis), at least not for a while. Certainly not in the alpha. Constructs do not deform and destroy each other in spectacular fashion like they do in games like space engineers. And constructs themselves cannot be broken in two; if I make the Enterprise, and you completely destroy the parts connecting the main body to the saucer and two nacelles, the ship will still fly as a single entitiy as though there is a rigid connection, when none exists. And it is pure speculation, but the graphics will likely never compare to a game like star citizen, at least not for years. It's just not the focus. 

That being said, I can tell you though that the fun potential far outweighs the drawbacks. The game will have tons of features and so many ways to do so many things to adapt to so many playstyles. Just watch the devdiaries, these developers are transparent, pasionate, driven, and most importantly... They are capable. They don't try and sell you concepts or ideas. They show you what they have and even let you play it, if you can make it to one of their meetups.

I can tell you another drawback about this game: starting later. The game will be huge, and difficult to get into and understand. Right now, we're all on the same page. A year from now, it won't be out still, but any newcomers will be at a disadvantage. And a year after release... Well. All I can say is I hope I can be a part of shaping the game around the Arkship, and being a part of a start of the new civilzation. Those who join late will find that much harder to be a part of.

So as for the intial drawbacks I mentioned, yes they are unfortunate, but I feel that the features and mechanics taking their place far outweigh them. And as for that last drawback I mentioned... Well, there's a solution to that one, and I think you know what that solution is. 

I'm worried that this game will be a grind fest if NQ don't get the game loop right. I hated EVE because 80% of the time I was pod mining with a corp which was really dull. I really like the idea of prospector specialization it mixed up the dynamic.

2 hours ago, VioletBannana said:

I'm worried that this game will be a grind fest if NQ don't get the game loop right. I hated EVE because 80% of the time I was pod mining with a corp which was really dull. I really like the idea of prospector specialization it mixed up the dynamic.

Well I wouldn't worry about the grind fest as much as just simply getting enough people to really... not die? There are some problems with invalid preparation and if you are not ready to kindof find a group and get settled in well then. 

So in response to to the main topic, let me get onto some more pros and cons.

So first off, we have a big con. It may just be that this isn't your type of game to play for some reason. I doubt this, since you are a fan of both Minecraft and EVE(Time + Grind), so you have some of the requirements for getting into this game. However the other may be that you just aren't getting anywhere quickly. By that I don't mean that you are not really doing anything with skills and such, but that you aren't getting to planets like you want or flying across the sky. This will more likely be when you are in the first stages of the game world, or during the first release. Things are expected to take a while to begin form and may or may not be what you like. It's more Minecraft during those times. Things will pick up the farther into the game the playerbase as a whole gets and it may become like EVE.

So you have a good bunch of general information on the game in the above topic. Let me get into reasons why you would like the game(like ATMLVE did). The game is still being developed and your say has some word on what the developers do. It may not change core game components, but it does change some things about the game. There were players who complained about some core mechanic about the game(it was heated with two sides), however the devs did either change or show their plans for the topic, and kindof cooled down the debate. So joining the game early helps you have some influence in it.

One last thing I might like to add. This community, while not the most generous, is a good one. I can't say some of these people here won't stab you in the back EvE style, but they will most certainly have the same goal of getting to pre-alpha and helping the dev team with the game(by mean of community participation!). I hope we have given you enough info!

P.S. on the pledge this early. I did it when the original kickstarter was going. NovaQuark is certainly going through, as they have game demos at all of the events they go to and are actively participating in the community. There is reason to believe they follow through. So your question should more be on whether or not you think this project is worth it, rather than if they follow through.

3 hours ago, VioletBannana said:

I suppose you think you will be doing something else in DU for most of the time? Or do you think your ships magically get replenished after every time a pirate explodes you?

EVE is a social experience, if you play it like WoW, expecting "log in, queue up for battleground, kick peoples' shins in PVP, get free loot", then you of course won't like them. Mining Ops is when people get to chill and talk about stuff - you know, social things, it's an MMO. I'm getting the vibes you are not one to do those in games, so, time to dust off he social skills playbook.

Mining Ops in EVE also happen so the corp's industry division can keep the miltiary division supplied. You call that "grind", others call it "teamwork". If you don't like Teamwork, you won't like it in DU either.

Cheerios o7

On 02/09/2017 at 4:40 PM, VioletBannana said:

Truth is, DU may require MORE mining than EVE, because not only does the mining feed the shipbuilding industry, but it also supplies the infrastructure building industry (i.e planetary bases, space stations, stargates, etc.). And in DU mining is done manually, there's no massive mining ships hoovering-up megatons of ore...

That doesn't mean you have to mine though. Find an org that makes their living from other activities, or fill a role that doesn't require mining, like security perhaps.

Of course, it's impossible to tell at this point how things will work out in practice, because we don't know the details of the final implementation. We don't know how many hours of mining it will take to build a small, medium or large ship. We don't know what the intensity of PVP will be, which means we don't know how many ships will need to be replaced every day. We don't know how many resources will be needed to build a base or a space station.

I agree there. It's all about balance - they might let you mine not that much ore by hand, but through skills and factories you might still be ablepossible to produce 20 ships a day. It'll all depend on variables like mining amount, time, minerals needed and many more