Wipes?

Ceepert

The biggest factor for me to preorder befor the 7th of september is the question of wipes.

Does anyone know if wipes of the world/progress will happen during alpha/beta,

because as I see you will need to put countless hours into this game and it would suck to have it all removed.

If anyone can shed some light on that, that would be great.

I would expect wipes as an almost certainty, especially on full release it will be reset. Alpha/beta is for testing, so you can use the opportunity to give feedback to the devs and learn the game mechanics. Then at full release you'll be ready to start over and progress.

the lore behind the alpha and beta to explain the wipes is this......we are still on the arkship and we are in a VR simulation while in our cyropods.  Alpha might even have weekly wipes. This isn't an early access game. This is also a single shard persistent world we will be living in. To not have wipes would cause so many issues. So while it might seem annoying that you might "lose" your creations you shouldn't go in to a test phase thinking what you are doing will be in the final game. Even how the game plays is up for change in a full release.

On 8/29/2017 at 7:18 PM, Ceepert said:

The biggest factor for me to preorder befor the 7th of september is the question of wipes.

Does anyone know if wipes of the world/progress will happen during alpha/beta,

because as I see you will need to put countless hours into this game and it would suck to have it all removed.

If anyone can shed some light on that, that would be great.

One key thing that has not been mentioned is that NQ is seriously looking at the ability to take with you blueprints of constructs you have made across wipes, either local or otherwise.  Still a work in progress, but they understand that people are going to spend considerable time designing things in the alpha and beta.  

They are trying to balance an unfair advantage come release for those in Alpha/Beta if there was no wipe against not completely disregarding the many hours and days people will be putting into creating things during these periods.   

Also as mentioned above, have to reiterate that the nature of the Alpha and Beta require wipes in some situations to make changes to how the mechanics, servers, etc function.

Expect to hear more as we approach the change over to Alpha from the Pre-Alpha (or maybe even in the upcoming devdiary, as wipes should be expected in the Pre-Alpha).

This is no early access, this is an alpha. So yeah, as other said: there will be wipes as stated by NQ. In alpha more often but definitely between versions (alpha-beta-release). 

This early version is for testing the game and helping the devs to improve it. If you're just here to play this game for yourself or want to ripe the rewards of putting thousands of hours into this game - then you're 2 years too early. 

If you want to help this game thrive and get positive attention then feel free to help - but as this is a real alpha, expect changes toin core mechanics at all times and lots of bugs. Plus they might not 've able to transfer blueprints to the next version

JC mentioned in the dev diary today that your designs will remain as you can make blueprints which will carry over between wipes. That said, you would have to restart to the point you can rebuild these. Personally I would not be surprised (in fact I would expect) that, especially during early alpha development, these blueprints may become incompatible and need tweaking or even may not be usable.

3 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Personally I would not be surprised (in fact I would expect) that, especially during early alpha development, these blueprints may become incompatible and need tweaking or even may not be usable.

Most of the time it would be that the design no longer works due to an implementation of something new (such as conveyors where there were none). You could still build it, but it won't run as intended.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, SimonVolcanov said:

Okay, newest DevDiary confirmed: We're gonna be able to keep our constructs in form of blueprints.

That's Awesome! Ether way I am excited to finally be able to play it my self even if it will be buggy, but it will really make me smile if we do get to keep our blueprints because it only save you time from redoing what you did once be for right?  Plus most of my blue prints will probably be things I planned on putting on the open market anyway.

17 hours ago, GunDeva said:

That's Awesome! Ether way I am excited to finally be able to play it my self even if it will be buggy, but it will really make me smile if we do get to keep our blueprints because it only save you time from redoing what did once be for right?  Plus most of my blue prints will probably be things I planned on putting on the open market anyway.

yeap, this is the nice-feature-to-have at this stage.

Even without it I would be eager to try. I'm sure it will take some time for all of us to master those tools to make something useful anyway.