I have one HUGE concern.

killabits

Greetings,

I have to say this game looks amazing and I am very interested to play it. I do have one HUGE concern though. How do you plan on managing trolls? What is stopping some one from damaging others creations for no other reason but to be a troll? What if they go around erasing everything they can? Sadly this is reality. In every game I have ever played there are those people who's only joy in life is to grief others. How do you plan to combat this issue? Thank you for your time and attention on this subject.

Sincerely,

Killabits Healsum

English (Translator used)

Hello killabits Healsum,
I have to develop the best defense together with others, best to help us.

German (orginal)

Hallo killabits Healsum,

ich habe vor mit anderen zusammen die Beste Verteidigung zu entwickeln, am besten hilfst Du uns.

mfG Die Waldfee

Hi Killabits, welcome to the forum.

I am trying to give you a short and precise answer.

1. Land under cover is protected with a unit. (TCU) Depending on whether it is in the safezone or not, it can be destroyed.

2. If I remember correctly, the developers can track everything that is placed and broken down.

Or did you mean something else?

Greetings. 

To me it is simple: get a TCU / into a safe zone to have a somewhat safe area. 

Beyond that,  it is open game or emergent game play where damage or combat has to be expected regardless of the actual motivation of the aggressor. 

In some cases you might simply have to do something about it yourself or let other players do something about it. Maybe there will be a police or military force responsible for the area. Or mercenaries / security. Maybe some help you actively once you request it,  maybe you have to pay them first. 

Emergent game play. You won't totally be vulnerable to others (or not at all times) depending on where you go or settle down, in short. 

NQ is hoping, that the community is going to regulate the trolls. People who behave against the rules of NQ, are getting first a short temporary ban, second a longer one and third a permanent ban. I share the same concern, because I dont think that the community is willing to invest much time and effort to prevent trolls outside of their organisation.

Well as discussed already in length a year ago or so: ,this is a sandbox mmo. Get people together, make a police force and do it yourself. This game is about emergent gameplay where people do stuff and not just get everything handed to them. Want something done? Do it! That's what makes such games so thrilling

27 minutes ago, Sharknoon said:

NQ is hoping, that the community is going to regulate the trolls. People who behave against the rules of NQ, are getting first a short temporary ban, second a longer one and third a permanent ban. I share the same concern, because I dont think that the community is willing to invest much time and effort to prevent trolls outside of their organisation.

While out of context this statement is a good one, we're talking about trolling and I think it's a bad idea to make that a bannable offense. The game is shaped and built by the players. Players that want to destroy for fun can do that, it shouldn't be against the rules; it should be up us, the players, to police that.

If you build a house on a hill then log off for a week, it's should be a no brainer that when you get back your house will have been ransacked.

I can see though how there might be some doubts though, like how civilization will work around the Arkship when no one has a TCU yet. That, I don't know...

If I remember correctly, all constructs require a core. The core manages the RDMS. If you do not have permission under the RDMS you cant edit someone's construct. you will have to sit there blasting it with a gun to destroy the voxel element.

Basically you can set permissions on territory you own / buildings you own / vehicles you own so that the trolls can't mess with them.

I understand your concern but there are Minecraft servers with permission systems similar to this (see Minecraft mods like Towny and Regios). The biggest issue would be if you're in a small org and a big org wants the tile you built your stuff on and you can't defend it, but then that's not really trolling, that's just how the game works.

5 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Just wanted to clarify it. People already got the idea at some point that TCU means safezone.....

Yeah XD

But also to point out, you won't necessarily have to pvp in this game. But if you don't pvp, you'll have to pay people to defend you or join an org that you can work for in an area they're protecting.

EX: You just want to do mining operations. You make money off of the mining operations, but now that people know you're making money off of mining, pirates want to steal your crap. Use some of the money you made from mining to hire pvpers to fight the pirates.

EDIT: I remembered there's a safe zone XD so you can probably stick to the safe zone if you want, but you probably won't make as much money, and claiming land there will cost you money.

I share the OP's concerns.

Hiring a player or player group to provide "security" is a very popular suggested solution. It's a myth, however.

In reality, hiring players to provide security won't be remotely viable for anyone but the largest org's. No player is going to guard your cabin in the woods for an hour or two. Watching paint dry will be a more exciting activity in comparison. And paying that guard would mean at least matching their potential earnings from other game play activities. Not to mention that you'd need 24/7 guards... it's just not going to happen.

You could also cover your cabin in multiple gun turrets, walls, traps, etc. (ruining the aesthetics), but static automated defenses are notoriously unreliable when faced with a patient and inventive aggressor.

The RDMS rules defined in your territory control unit (TCU) will protect your structures from "casual trolls" editing your stuff, but it won't prevent destruction/theft of your stuff. But TCU's are supposed to be expensive and hard to build, so they might not even be a practical solution for solo players or even small groups, especially in the early months after launch.

Your best bet is to join a reasonably large player org and build within the "safety" of their guns and defenses.

However, it's impossible to predict the risks in DU at this early stage of development. Much of the detail has not been finalised yet. It sounds like there will be a relatively high "opportunity cost" to everything in DU. Casual trolling for lulz may even turn out to be a very costly hobby.

@killabits  I had HUGE concern when I was at secondary school. How to deal with bullies? Well.. it tuned out I had some advantage and used it against them. Those who didn't.. well you had no choice in RL but man up. I just don't get it why online people seeking some protection from outside. Same social patterns apply. Find a group of people you getting along with or you think can give you that protection if you can't deal with it on your own.

47 minutes ago, yamisniper said:

think people are forgetting they can build under ground

and hide unlike most pvp games

I guess we'll have to see what kind of scanners will be implemented, as well as the skill training time associated with them.

The entrance of your underground base will be hard to hide, it has to be big enough to allow your ship to pass through, of course, otherwise the parked ship on the surface will be a dead giveaway...

1 hour ago, yamisniper said:

well im sure we can come up with something to hide doors

like side of cliffs that only a ship can enter

Others see that too....So that's not "safe".

A base in the middle of space, well, that's better

Seems to me this huge concern by many can be converted into a huge opportunity for a strong organization. Call yourselves Kneecappers and Knuckledraggers Inc. Let all the peaceful builders know your services are available for hire. Use their money to hire and outfit the best PvPers. If some troll messes up your client's stuff, you pledge to find the troll and mess up his stuff a whole lot worse, and you reimburse your client for the damages. If you're proven effective, all the casuals will want to hire you, and all the best roughnecks will want to work for you.

Rolepay as insurance, mafia, private security, cops, whatever you like. It's all the same.

On 8/29/2017 at 3:51 PM, killabits said:

Greetings,

I have to say this game looks amazing and I am very interested to play it. I do have one HUGE concern though.

The rude answer here would be that if this is a concern to you a game like this probably is not for you.

But seriously; as seen in other games such as EVE there will always be griefers, gankers, those out to only cause harm en seemingly find enjoyment in that. It is part and parcel of the way these games work. What you do about it is the same you would do about preventing people from breaking into your house. 

TL;DR

HTFU ;)