Taking inspiration and idea from other games

Mazillus

Something I wanted to say was that I really love that they JC, developers and community really take on board ideas and game mechanics that work well in other games like EVE online.

A lot of times in the past if you mention another competing game you ended being told: "This is not x game". 

There is a lot of game mechanics out there that simply work well and the fact that DU is taking inspiration from those games is great in my opinion. 

I dissociate myself from discussions when these killerargument fall. Instead, I quote from a game developer.

It's not about cloning games, it's about learning how to take what you want and tweak it enough that it no longer feels like a past game.

This is a process that Blizzard has used to great success, and they're not shy about sharing it.

"Let's take a game that we all love playing, do what we want to do to make it ours, just like we've done with every single game from the past. Vikings was Lemmings. Rock and Roll Racing, name any of those car games out there. Warcraft came from Dune, so it's the same thing with Heroes of the Storm," Sam Didier, a senior art director at Blizzard, told Polygon in an interview about Heroes of the Storm. "It's like, we take a game that we like and then we make our version of it. If we like it, it turns out that people like it as well."

Source:

https://www.polygon.com/2014/7/28/5944393/copy-steal-game-design

So what's wrong with taking something that works? And you improve this mechanics and adapt it to your system.
Voilà, solved the problem.

From early on I had the feeling DU is very much like a cross between EVE and Space Engineers. EVE is great for it's persistent single shard universe with deep and complex mechanics, economics and politics but IMO lacks the first person immersion Space Engineers offers by being able to actually walk around a planet or be in space and build your own environment/ships/tech.

From what I have heard so far it seems DU is pretty much going to be able to merge the two concepts into one universe and add a touch of KSP op top which will open up so many fantastic options and possibilities. It will be a while (I very much do not expect DU to be ready by the end of next year), I believe the vision and 'roadmap' will allow for fairly steady progress with a clear point where the game is good to go 'public' which is something some other projects seem to lack (Yes SC, I am talking about you here).

What NQ is working towards is very complex and hard to do well but I think they have the right attitude to pull it off.

It's also not just about taking the good from the good games, but also leaving the bad. I made a topic about this a long time ago; survivorship bias can be dangerous. 

I know JC and his team are smart, and I trust they'll do what's best. Their development is proceeding well, and since we'll be playing the alpha we can help to shape the mechanics. This is something I think the developers really want to do, which is a fantastic way to make a game. I too applaud Novaquark!

JC itself said at gamescom, he played hundreds of hours of EVE Online and Minecraft (Space Engineers wasn't out at this time). He wanted to join the building and first person part of Minecraft with the singleshard and complex structure of EVE. So he founded NQ in 2013 ?

13 minutes ago, Sharknoon said:

JC itself said at gamescom, he played hundreds of hours of EVE Online and Minecraft (Space Engineers wasn't out at this time). He wanted to join the building and first person part of Minecraft with the singleshard and complex structure of EVE. So he founded NQ in 2013 ?

Yes he's said this before in interviews as well B)  Space Engineers is based on Minecraft and I've spent more time playing SE and Eve than any other games, which makes DU the perfect game for me.

On 29/08/2017 at 1:28 PM, SirJohn85 said:

I dissociate myself from discussions when these killerargument fall. Instead, I quote from a game developer.

Source:

https://www.polygon.com/2014/7/28/5944393/copy-steal-game-design

So what's wrong with taking something that works? And you improve this mechanics and adapt it to your system.
Voilà, solved the problem.

I like your analogy here. I can refrain that with another.

I've got advice from composers when I introduced my piece of work to them asking for opinions. Their first question was... do you like your piece yourself? Are you enjoying it?

I said.. well not quite what I had in mind but yeah, tune is good. So work on quality of tune, polish it up to the level the thing in your head sounds like you want it. When I did it, and asked again they only said.. if you happy and enjoying it, that's the most important thing!

So... going back to subject, conclusion is people with passion can execute the idea for many others to follow. Sure NQ took several games and put it all together but they did it with passion. In fact if many gammers out there faced this title first time the first impression was ... to good to be true. But the greatest impression was... Hell yeah this is the game everyone was dreaming about playing all of this titles. They took it to another level, implemented it... and put it all together. When I was reading devblogs long time ago I could sense a spirit of people passionate about it, it is the ONLY reason i pledged.

Of course, it is subjective and the personal perception of a game does not necessarily reflect the opinion of all / most players. Ultimately, we are not only players but also the customers. And the customer thinks twice where he will invest his money.
Everyone has their own motivations here. Everyone comes from a genre and a game-portofolio what he has played up to now. Their own desires, their own ideas, why "Dual Universe" so attracts, is more different the ever.

And that is why I simply ask the question, which everyone should answer for themselves: "Why are you here?"

And this brings me back to the topic: Inspiring words, a strong ambition and the necessary passion can be seen at the NQ team. As stated in my other post already, I have no problems when looking at elements from other games. The mechanics should match the game and it should enrich the game (experience). There are a handful developer studios that I blindly trust and also buy their games. NovaQuark has so far not been able to build a reputation worth mentioning with other games. But this is the beautiful thing: I give them the opportunity to prove it to me; That's why I pledged.