Reduce mining/building radius

fabsch412

11 minutes ago, devu said:

Wait for skills, tools that will directly correspond to mining capabilities. It's a perfect opportunity and make sense for this to happen if we really want this to be valuable profession as well.

If digging will be too easy and like that for everyone one? Balance of the game, performance of the servers etc.. I simply can't comprehend why you guys assuming otherwise.

Sure it's boring, and hell yeah! make it slower, invest into equipment, create variety of it! Stimulate the market! But if you feel is too boring for you, probably you should not be a miner! ;) 

This.

I have lost track of how much time I've spent digging long, pointless shafts in Space Engineers just for the sake of setting up a small outpost at the bottom of a colossal silo.

Or just making tunnels through a mountain for mildly quicker passage around it. Highly impractical in terms of time saved/gained. Satisfying? Oh yes.

Barreling down a long, pitch black tunnel, where your stopping distance is about ten times greater than what you can see ahead of you, even though you know there's nothing to crash into ahead (or is there..?), is a very unique sandbox experience.

On 8/27/2017 at 9:33 AM, Jegleebow20 said:

For me, the immediate breaking of minerals/ores when you mine them brakes the immersion and makes mining way too easy.

On one hand I get what you're saying... all that stuff just vaporized in an instant.

However, on the other hand - are you looking for a pick axe? 

This is a sci-fi space game after all.

Just saying....

I believe there is room for some variation in mining speed/sizes, but I'm not of the opinion that the speed shown is too fast, or too large an area. Without the ability to mine with a construct (like in Space Engineers), then there is no real way to "work up-to" mass-mining. In Space Engineers you can build bigger and bigger mining ships, making your task of excavating a lot of earth easier. NQ doesn't have any plans at all to allow constructs to mine, which means it'll all be by-hand, one shape at a time. This is very very slow compared to even a "small" mining ship in SE.

That being said, this is an MMO after all. I'd love to see there be different variations of mining module for the nano-former. We might discover that in order to mine certain minerals, you need a higher-tier mining module that mines a smaller area, but can pick up heavier ores. We might find that there is also a higher tier nanoformer that can dig a much larger area, but only lighter ores as well, and a successful minor might alternate between two or three mining modules during a mining run. Perhaps there might even be a very high tier that is big, quick, and can pick-up everything but the heaviest ore.

Plus you've got scanning to think about too. In SE, it requires almost no investment to actually detect specific ores, you just add the right part to your ship and you can detect them. The biggest chore was actually finding sources of each ore. In DU though, scanning will be a skill that you spec into and invest gear in. That alone might be enough to keep mining entertaining.