Reduce mining/building radius

fabsch412

The current mining radius seems way too high. I actually wanna spend time mining. Digging a base into a mountain with this radius/speed is just ridiculous.

I'd say 50% of the current size would be better. Same goes for building and cubes etc.

Examples of the size:

I think they already said somewhere that it's the size it will be at release, not sure 100% though.

Clicking a button for hours is boring, maybe not for you, but for most people. You'll spend a lot of time scanning for resources, transporting and refining those, so at the end of the day, you still have a lot of gameplay, but more fun and various.

1 hour ago, Shynras said:

I think they already said somewhere that it's the size it will be at release, not sure 100% though.

I remember that as well. 

To be honest I was stunned that was going to be the size at release.

Perhaps that's just the size for dirt and mining an ore requires extra time. 

I don't mind the size; I feel that it is important to not have people getting bored with mining, especially considering the massive amount of mining that will need to be done for things. I do wish that there as a bit more control over it. I feel like with that tool they just sort of carved out a random blob of space. I would want to be able to create a fairly coherent shape when mining. 

11 hours ago, Mazillus said:

I remember that as well. 

To be honest I was stunned that was going to be the size at release.

Perhaps that's just the size for dirt and mining an ore requires extra time. 

I was surprised too, but in the end i don't think it really matters as long they balance it out.

Maybe they will add some kind of delay like when you click to mine some kind of effect will appear and it will take like five seconds to extract the ore same with the building when you click to build a wall and it will take some time to materialize the wall depending on its size.

Not sure whether that has been stated or not, but I believe that you can actually increase or decrease the radius of the mining sphere.

You can see in several gameplay videos that the blue glove the player is wearing sometimes turns red and the hand starts shaking once they start digging. I always took it that during the red phase, it takes time for you to actually remove the ground and the bigger your radius is, the longer it takes for the glove to turn blue again and you'll be able to proceed mining. So basically, you could select whether you want to dig in a big area and it takes a bit longer and dig faster in a smaller area. What you see in the videos you posted is rather likely to be a dev tool as already mentioned.

However, the red glow is more likely to just be an optical feedback for when you're aiming at an area that can't be mined or your Nanoformer runs out of energy or something, because it's not consistent in any video I've seen. I have zero proof if anything of what I said about the red glow actually makes any sense and thinking about it, it probably doesn't, especially if we look at this video.

However, larger radius needing more time is still a thing. The mining entry on the devlog actually mentions this.

[...]
The harder the material and the larger the volume collected, the longer it will take. We have chosen an energy-based model where each material is capable of absorbing a certain level of energy before being “mined”. So, you will be able to upgrade your Nanoformer energy throughput to improve your mining as well as various mining skills.
[...]

So you probably just don't need much time for dirt, maybe it's different for stone, similar to how much time you need for each block in Minecraft. Maybe you'll need longer the deeper you go. 

But the darn red glow, I just can't get behind how it works.
digging-nov-2016-w560px.gif?w=630

5 minutes ago, _mefsh_ said:

Let me get this straight... You want a super repetitive task to take longer?

i think with the current speed if 10 000 players start to mine planet would be consumed very quickly and there is only 10 000 backers so i imagine there would lot more players when it will come out  maybe 30 000. and if they really want to make it long term game like they want stargates to be build in month or two it necessary to slow it down . 

12 minutes ago, borzol said:

i think with the current speed if 10 000 players start to mine planet would be consumed very quickly and there is only 10 000 backers so i imagine there would lot more players when it will come out  maybe 30 000. and if they really want to make it long term game like they want stargates to be build in month or two it necessary to slow it down . 

For me, the immediate breaking of minerals/ores when you mine them brakes the immersion and makes mining way too easy. It takes away the sense of earning you would get for mining something; and example is minecraft where each mineral and ore has a different durrability and hardness. So if mining dirt is just as easy and simple as mining tungsten, then theres no reward or sense of acomplishment for collecting a valuble ore, because any new player can go to it and mine it without any upgraded tools or skills.

I would not say it will be easy.

Mining is intended to come after scanning (to find the right spot). Some resources will be very rare, and only available in specific biomes.

As other games, the amount of time it takes to mine a specific volume depends the type of resource and the mining skill level of the player (and its tool), and it will require energy...

And once you have your materials, you'll have to refine them, make alloys if you want, before to use them for building (using Mechanical Press, Foundry and other industrial elements).

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/11/04/scanning-mining/

https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Builder_Guide

About the minimal size of the hole you dig, it's about 1 m, if I recall well, and the minimal building size is about 25cm

Dual Universe Explorers - Live Q&A w/ JC Baillie - 09/17/2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Y0YmqGYDM 24:00 min

I actually find the scanning to be a bit simple. 

I'd like to see directional scanning to work on only surface level ores and have a deployable 3/4/5 point sensor matrix for deeper more valuable ores. (like EVE sensor probes)

Scanning and mapping ores should be something that you could skill heavy into. 

3 hours ago, Jegleebow20 said:

For me, the immediate breaking of minerals/ores when you mine them brakes the immersion and makes mining way too easy. It takes away the sense of earning you would get for mining something; and example is minecraft where each mineral and ore has a different durrability and hardness. So if mining dirt is just as easy and simple as mining tungsten, then theres no reward or sense of acomplishment for collecting a valuble ore, because any new player can go to it and mine it without any upgraded tools or skills.

Each mineral HAS a different hardness to mine, and as others said, it's not done with mining alone. It's already hard as it is without mining ships (like in SE) and you already need a lot of materials to even make a simple spaceship

• 3 weeks later...

Wait for skills, tools that will directly correspond to mining capabilities. It's a perfect opportunity and make sense for this to happen if we really want this to be valuable profession as well.

If digging will be too easy and like that for everyone one? Balance of the game, performance of the servers etc.. I simply can't comprehend why you guys assuming otherwise.

Sure it's boring, and hell yeah! make it slower, invest into equipment, create variety of it! Stimulate the market! But if you feel is too boring for you, probably you should not be a miner! ;)