Gamescom insights

CyberCrunch

17 hours ago, Sharknoon said:

• They havent done much yet to prevent hackers

This interests me as I hope that they will stop LUA scripts from interacting with the computer's as talented people can use a LUA script to create a door into someone's PC. 

17 hours ago, Sharknoon said:

• Right now, you can embed any HTML-content, except for Javascripts, in the Screen-Unit, e.g. embedding a Youtube-Video works right now, they arent sure, if they continue to allow that

Not sure how it works, but isn't the data streamed from youtube servers anyway, like any website with embedded videos?

Thanks for sharing.

2 weeks is reasonable. It's not too long and not too short.

Can see corps building seed ships.

They'll be able to see how many players are traveling and allocate resources as needed.

3 hours ago, Darrkwolf said:

This interests me as I hope that they will stop LUA scripts from interacting with the computer's as talented people can use a LUA script to create a door into someone's PC. 

They will have a whitelist-system on lua-libraries. Only the ones reviewed by novaquark are going to be enabled. Network-connections arent allowed. This way, NQ has the full control of what you can and can not do with lua scripting.

2 minutes ago, Sharknoon said:

They will have a whitelist-system on lua-libraries. Only the ones reviewed by novaquark are going to be enabled. Network-connections arent allowed. This way, NQ has the full control of what you can and can not do with lua scripting.

Which is a relief tbh, I was worried it wouldn't be moderated, but glad to see it will be. 

3 hours ago, Shynras said:

Not sure how it works, but isn't the data streamed from youtube servers anyway, like any website with embedded videos?

They arent developing the HTML-technology itself, they are using CoherentGT from CoherentLabs (http://coherent-labs.com/coherent-gt/) which is actually a embedded browser. The size of the screen unit also influences the dpi of the website. BTW, the whole ui is also made in HTML, so you can freely edit the whole UI of the game :)

1 hour ago, Sharknoon said:

They arent developing the HTML-technology itself, they are using CoherentGT from CoherentLabs (http://coherent-labs.com/coherent-gt/) which is actually a embedded browser. The size of the screen unit also influences the dpi of the website. BTW, the whole ui is also made in HTML, so you can freely edit the whole UI of the game :)

ye but isn't the data streamed directly from youtube? if it is there's no problem with the server bandwith (I guess it isn't though, since their statements)

2 minutes ago, Shynras said:

ye but isn't the data streamed directly from youtube? if it is there's no problem with the server bandwith (I guess it isn't though, since their statements)

Yes, in this case, the data is streamed directly from youtube. I dont know, if the HTML-Code of the screen-unit is hosted by the server or by the player via peer to peer. I guess by the server. The Youtube-Video itself has nothing to do with the DU-Server, its a connection between the client and Youtube.

6 minutes ago, Sharknoon said:

Yes, in this case, the data is streamed directly from youtube. I dont know, if the HTML-Code of the screen-unit is hosted by the server or by the player via peer to peer. I guess by the server. The Youtube-Video itself has nothing to do with the DU-Server, its a connection between the client and Youtube.

similar to the garrys mod screen addon. you can watch videos and streams. i guess its loaded locally but its synchronized with other players.

23 hours ago, Lord_Void said:

Wow. I hope that is just with "early ship tech"

You send probes/drones out to a distant system and have them build a stargate/portal.

Interesting dynamic here would be the potential of 'toll' gates and ownership claims/politics/combat including destruction of gates..

Another potential development would be Jumpdrives once the universe gets mapped.

41 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

You send probes/drones out to a distant system and have them build a stargate/portal.

Interesting dynamic here would be the potential of 'toll' gates and ownership claims/politics/combat including destruction of gates..

Another potential development would be Jumpdrives once the universe gets mapped.

Actually, the probes don't build the gate. They just let you jump to them a limited number of times so that you can build the gate. 

On 8/27/2017 at 0:16 AM, Sharknoon said:

The client and the server are written in C++. The client needs C++ for the performance, the server is also written in C++ due to the high amount of the same code with the client. They wished, they could make it in a safer language like Java, but htey simply doesnt have the time to write a lot of code twice.

С++ FTW, Java is not safer :P

Thx for info. Now i waiting for pre-alpha =/

On Lua, I am curious if you saw anything if you can have your own framework stored up somewhere? Like let's say I implement some common functionality that I use a lot in all of my script to make my life easier. Also any info on if we can fiddle around with metatables however we want or are there limitations on that?

On 8/26/2017 at 2:39 AM, CyberCrunch said:

Orbital mechanics:

In space there are actual physics calculations like in Kerbal Space Program! I managed to catapult my ship into orbit with atmospheric engines, but it was pulled back in a parabolic curve by the gravity.
JC said that atmospheric engines are actually a bit overpowered, as you could reach escape velocity with them and fly straight into space… without any control… because the engines only work in atmosphere… xD
I have to say that I really liked the atmospheric flight mechanics; they felt very realistic just like a real airplane.

As a long time flight simmer, and as a dedicated Kerbal player for almost as long as the game has been available, I am very very interested in this. Love to learn every detail about atmospheric flight and orbital mechanics in DU. I was under the impression that we were going to be flying with a typically oversimplified arcade-type flight model both in and out of atmosphere, and honestly... that was the only thing about DU that I was disappointed in.

Just how much depth is there to flight physics? How simplified is it?

On 8/28/2017 at 0:23 PM, Groogy said:

On Lua, I am curious if you saw anything if you can have your own framework stored up somewhere? Like let's say I implement some common functionality that I use a lot in all of my script to make my life easier. Also any info on if we can fiddle around with metatables however we want or are there limitations on that?

I havent seen an option to load your own library sadly. I also would love to see this feature being implemented. Right now, there is just a whitelist system of libraries. Maybe they will add some player-made libraries to the list. No Info on the metatables, gues wee have to wait until September 30th

• 2 weeks later...