Anyone else taking time off work for Pre-Alpha?

yamamushi

Alright ladies, settle down.

One thing we all need to realize is that we have no idea what the uptime schedule is going to be. From my perspective, even though I have more PTO than I'll ever need, it makes no sense to take time off if I don't even know it will be worth taking time off. Yes I will take at least a day or 2 if we're given enough notice of when the first uptime is and it takes place during my work hours. We're all fans of the game here. Most of us are super excited just as much as the next guy. Sometimes our situations just aren't the same. It may make sense for some people to take time off and not others. Some people simply show their excitement in different ways.

On top of everything, it is pretty insulting to say a person isn't a fan because of how you perceive, without context, what they write.

I'd love to play devils advocate here as well and side with Yamamushi on something but all you're doing is poking and prodding at a point with only the context of a few words that you assigned an emotion and feeling to. Maybe Lord_Void got your intent wrong as well. However, he's not the one saying you're not a fan or even too fanatic about the game.

Let's just all take this as a learning experience and move forward. Don't make get the switch.

3 hours ago, MJLaukala said:

Alright ladies, settle down.

One thing we all need to realize is that we have no idea what the uptime schedule is going to be. From my perspective, even though I have more PTO than I'll ever need, it makes no sense to take time off if I don't even know it will be worth taking time off. Yes I will take at least a day or 2 if we're given enough notice of when the first uptime is and it takes place during my work hours. We're all fans of the game here. Most of us are super excited just as much as the next guy. Sometimes our situations just aren't the same. It may make sense for some people to take time off and not others. Some people simply show their excitement in different ways.

On top of everything, it is pretty insulting to say a person isn't a fan because of how you perceive, without context, what they write.

I'd love to play devils advocate here as well and side with Yamamushi on something but all you're doing is poking and prodding at a point with only the context of a few words that you assigned an emotion and feeling to. Maybe Lord_Void got your intent wrong as well. However, he's not the one saying you're not a fan or even too fanatic about the game.

Let's just all take this as a learning experience and move forward. Don't make get the switch.

Yeah I mean that's one of the reason ls I wouldnt take time off even if I did have a few spare vacation days; we just don't know when we'll be able to play, or what the experience will be like.

It's like the eclipse. People took time off of work to travel across the country, for a two minute event that can be ruined by partial cloud cover. Some people don't think of that; some people do, and take the risk anyway. Myself, a decision like that goes against my principles; I can't use something valuable, like time off, on the off chance it wont be cloudy. Too much risk, too little gain. 

This alpha, how do we know it'll be up a lot? How do I know my PC will really even be able to handle it? It's borderline on the specs. How do we know the game will even be stable in it's pre-alpha? It might be literally unplayable in that time. I waited years for NMS, and that was set to come out in June, and people took off work for that... Delayed. Then people took off work for it's later release... And well yeah. People took off work to play NMS. Let that sink in.

Not saying DU is going to be any sort of disaster like NMS, but the unpredictableness of the game in pre-alpha, so much we don't know, just makes it something I would never take off work for unless I had like 6 weeks of vacation days. 

I love NQ, I love this game, I love JC and Nyzaltar and Nomad. I thank them for this awesome game, and I look forward to playing it when I get the chance, because I WILL get the chance. 

Just a warning don't make Jokes here and talk about on Discord or you will get punished on Discord. Mine was a joke of course even indicated with the ban and tongue out. But I get issues a warning on Discord over it. Beyond silly and immature and this one the reasons why I worry about certain people running community sites. Not only that I fear because of ANON moderators that friends of friends also have power in this community. 

For the rest of you actually being serious about taking free time off being pathetic then you need to grow up and enjoy life. There is more to life then being stuck as a slave working 40+ hours a week! Someone actually taking the time off to enjoy something they enjoy is a honorable thing no matter what their enjoyments are.

Either way the bears been officially poked and everyone is on Notice! 

I think that's something that needs to be handled privately.  None of us know what the joke is, nor do I think that's something we should know.  If it is their discord channel, then that's that.  You're free to send them a PM or something.

No one has the right (or backing?) to call any type of lifestyle pathetic.  If someone loves to throw their heart and soul into their work, awesome.  If someone loves taking work off, awesome.  I personally take work off far more than I should when a good swell is pounding.

I am currently between jobs at the moment and aim to be back in full time employment before pre-alpha so I doubt I'll be able to dedicate much time.

I will aim to get at least one or two sessions though. 

Maybe for the official release, but otherwise saving for family and clearing my conscience (alternatively, philanthropy). 

Will definitely be making the most of that weekend though.

I hafe a week off the week before so.... No, i can't take some time off again for the pre-Alpha. But i doubt that i would do it if i could. It's a pre-Alpha, the servers will not be online the whole time...

But in my free time i will take a look into the game thats for sure :D

4 hours ago, Bluestorm said:

Hopefully they'll let the server live enough time to cover all time zones

Something tells me that's how it will work.  Alternatively, they could alternate the time it is up.  So like 12-2pm next one is 2-4pm... 6-8pm.... 8-10pm.... etc.

I'm sure they've already taken this into consideration and it is a non-issue

I feel like it will be more like 72 hours, etc then shutdown and fix / change things etc and do it again and again. I doubt it's like super old school they only turn it on while at work or something like that. But I guess will see. 

I work on Saturdays! =(  sigh! I all ready let my boss know I needed that day off! haha and that's why I am thinking of taking a few days off because of time zones : there day time game schedule might be my night time play schedule, but if they release the play times schedules I can plan my schedule to match theirs a little better.