Alpha Postponed. Thoughts:

Shockeray

1 hour ago, triplehelixxx said:

I'm somewhat curious as to  how signing this NDA with work. 

Will it's simply be something we have to agree to here on the forums, or will they send out emails that we then have to agree to with an electronic signature?

Or are they actually going to mail us some documents we have to sign and then return? 

No I highly doubt they'll mail anything. It'll probably just be an email for the accounts that have gold backer status and up. You'll have to digitally sign the NDA and click you accept. I don't think it'll be anything on the forums either.

17 hours ago, Lord_Void said:

Then again, playing devil's advocate here, if we assume that footage will leak and people will rant about it, wouldn't it be better to let all the other people having wonderful, positive experiences speak too be a good thing? The best way to drown out 'bad speech' is with more good speech

That is not how these things work in the world of YouTube and Reddit. Sensible voices will quickly become 'fanboiz' who will try to mask and hide the 'horrible bugs and issues with the game'. The negative parties will ignore the fact this is (now a) pre-alpha and troll away at the game with no intention but to cause enough damage and make claims of wasted money and demanding refunds.

The more I think about it, the more I feel releasing now is a mistake which will cause more problems than taking the hit of delaying it.

Obviously still be playing the game as far as it can be from day 1, I have the 30th off anyway and will fly out to Vegas for EVE Vegas the week after so plenty of time to test and try stuff out. I do hope there will be a solid and constructive feedback channel for anything we find.

I'm glad I get to have a hand at the game even if it is in a lesser version than the promised alpha, what has been shown is already enough to get me started and start exploring and testing the game.

But I'm curious about what are the features that should have been in alpha and will be missing of pre-alpha, still I can't wait untill the 30th of September!

As for it being a good move or not, I think it is a smart move because NDA will refrain most player to leak and NQ trust will prevent a lot of rant as well on the state of the game and if the forum is available to let people's steam out and make the community closer, it should work out pretty well and the rest can be dealt with accordingly

I don't think it's fair to Novaquark that we began saying the Alpha got postponed or,  *Postpone* being the right word to describe this. Since untilmately we will be getting what we were promised, just under a different name for once simple reason;

NQ doesn't feel comfortable (yet) calling this relesse "alpha"

Anyways, whether pre-alpha or alpha or whatever name NQ decided to call it, we are getting a release of DU in September. 

We should be happy that what was promised is getting delivered!!!

DU is love

DU is life

Cheers,

Comrademoco

I am excited by the "Pre Alpha release.

I think allowing up to 1500+ people at the server at this time will be a good test for NQ and DU. The fact that they want to keep what a promise although it is not quite ready to their standards of release may speak to a desire for perfection.

Until we can get into the game and see what is waiting we'll never know. As for the NDA and not wanting to see it streamed; I can understand that.

Some people just have a desire to try and destroy something so they can feel good about themselves. It's sad but true.

Bring it on NQ, Thanks for having some faith in us as a community.

11 hours ago, Rammforge said:

No I highly doubt they'll mail anything. It'll probably just be an email for the accounts that have gold backer status and up. You'll have to digitally sign the NDA and click you accept. I don't think it'll be anything on the forums either.

Some NDAs I have worked with are simply a pop-up that shows up when you bring up the launcher.  And you have to digitally sign of course, every single time you open the game.

It's a nice way to do it in my opinion, as it reminds you of the NDA before every single play session.  Furthermore, if they need to make changes to the NDA they can easily do so.  Granted, it's hard to tell if people will actually read the changes...

5 hours ago, blazemonger said:

That is not how these things work in the world or YouTube and Reddit. Sensible voices will quickly become 'fanboiz' who will try to mask and hide the 'horrible bugs and issues with the game'. The negative parties will ignore the fact this is (now a) pre-alpha and troll away at the game with no intention but to cause enough damage and make claims of wasted money and demanding refunds.

The more I think about it, the more I feel releasing now is a mistake which will cause more problems than taking the hit of delaying it.

Obviously still be playing the game as far as it can be from day 1, I have the 30th off anyway and will fly out to Vegas for EVE Vegas the week after so plenty of time to test and try stuff out. I do hope there will be a solid and constructive feedback channel for anything we find.

I am apt to agree with you blazemonger. Although I would like to play DU as soon as possible, this doesn't seem like the best way to solve this issue. Of course it may have been unavoidable since development on certain things took longer than expected.

40 minutes ago, mrjacobean said:

It's hard to tell if people will READ the NDA at all. 

Well it has been proven that most will not...

Here's a link to a article where college students gave away their first born children in an experiment on reading terms and conditions...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/03/terms-of-service-online-contracts-fine-print

39 minutes ago, Soro said:

Well it has been proven that most will not...

Here's a link to a article where college students gave away their first born children in an experiment on reading terms and conditions...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/03/terms-of-service-online-contracts-fine-print

Did they take into account that some people would do that willingly?

Well, i guess me watching you guys playing (videos, streams...) will be delayed but i will definitely follow the thread dedicated to the pre-alpha feedback. I'm really curious to see how the server will handle with +1000 players in the same area. If it works, you guys will be making history within the MMO genre and will experience it in first hand. I'm jealous xD

52 minutes ago, Mazillus said:

Pretty sure that NDA in large bold letters is all you need to make a gamer stop and read. It's not your usual T&C.

This, plus as someone else pointed, every time you log into the game. This should help keep people in "check" for lack of better word!

The thing is, regardless of the reasons the stuff that happened to be already implemented into game as we have seen on dev diary videos is way above my expectations.

They have been polishing content already... wait what? Seriously, that was the least thing I was expecting to see in Alpha. 

Physics momentum and shock-wave damage - didn't expect that at this stage at all.

Functional logical blocks - I was expecting to have a LUA API at this point. Those extras are nice to have but again non expected.

Voxel building system improvements - it only shows me how much attention they paying to usability but again wasn't expecting that at Alpha!

Custom UI and in game screens that supports html/css/svg - seriously? Who did expect that. It is crazy cool feature but in alpha?

All functional blocks redesigned for new look - placeholders is the thing being used in Alphas ;) SE took 2 years to replace them to call it Beta.

The list goes on and on but about 9 months ago when was clear to me, the Alpha will be just a server stress test and voxel building exercise.

It shows me that JC is a perfectionist and maybe we all worry a bit too much ;)

My thoughts on the postponed alpha:

In my opinion, NQ had a taff decision. Last month they've done a lot of code refactorings and bugfixes to keep the game easily to expand in the future but also stable. Unfortunately this process was needed to keep the quality of the game high and the development of new features had to wait. They decided to give the backers a peek (you could call it a tech-demo) into whats possible with DU, but dont expect a game, that has a full gameloop! The alpha will be complete, when the gameloop (mining -> crafting -> building -> trading...) is finished. Btw, trading is coming in the first update for the alpha (Alpha 2). So in general I think I would rather have a complete, bugfree game at a later stage instand of a buggy game, which has all the features hastily implemented.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:41 PM, Demonneo said:

Well, i guess me watching you guys playing (videos, streams...) will be delayed but i will definitely follow the thread dedicated to the pre-alpha feedback. I'm really curious to see how the server will handle with +1000 players in the same area. If it works, you guys will be making history within the MMO genre and will experience it in first hand. I'm jealous xD

well darkfall has done this already BUT it doesnt have voxel building but it was fps aiming