MXM

Hades

Not sure how many of you guys are into enthusiast laptops, but I have some interesting news for you guys :P.  Obviously, I will always love my desktop... but I love tinkering around with laptops as well.

I've got a Clevo p751zm sitting around, with an i7 4790k and no GPU, as I bought it barebones (no gpu/CPU/ram/hdd).  I was going to throw an msi MXM 1060 inside, as the card would fit... I'd just have to flash the vbios.

However, I recently learned Eurocom is creating standard MXM 1070 and 1080 cards.  None of the MXM 3.1 junk pulled last year by other companies.  They will probably cost an arm and a leg, but 1080 performance in a 4-5 year old laptop I snagged for pennies?  Yes please.  They are also working on standard MXM Vega lineup for 2018.

This is great news for the few of you have old laptops with a beefy CPU, but lacking in gpu power.  Granted, if your gpu is soldered you're pretty much hosed.  Or if your laptop has serious power draw restrictions.

Obviously going to hold out until I see the card specs, if they gimped out on anything I'd like to know... can't let them pull some of that maxQ BS by nvidia.  We stepped away from mobile chips a year ago, we don't need them back.

Not sure if anyone cares, but Eurocom plans to release these cards in November/December.

I also forgot to mention that you MUST have an eDP panel.  LVDS is not supported on newer generation cards (Pascal or Polaris).  Unfortunately many aging laptops are LVDS, but if you have an external monitor I imagine that would work.