Debate 5: Planetary Biomes and Weather Effects

Wilks Checkov

Okay, since I do not feel that well tonight - I figured I would bring up a relatively simple subject that still holds some weight, and of interest to me personally.

Planetary Biomes and Weather Effects:

What I want to bring up for debate is if there will be weather effects in the game based either on planetary type or biomes. As well as the potential weather types that may be encountered and the effects that they may have on structures, ships, and other technology. 

Potential planetary types with weather:

• Temperate: Grassy biomes with wind, clouds, and rain effects. Weather can effect flight with lightning, communication interference, and wind blowing ships around. 
  • Desert: Sandy biomes / planets with windswept plains and mesas. Weather results in massive dust storms that can create lightning and disrupt ships systems, sand can also interfere with ships engines and other delicate electronics. 
  • Frozen: Ice and show biomes / planets with snow flurries, incredibly low temperatures that can cause massive blizzards that effect ship components. 

These are just a few of the possibilities, if you have any extensions to add; feel free to do so. 

Any other ideas are welcome as well as long as they pertain to the topic at hand.

What do you think of weather systems added into the game? Do you think they should have an effect on ships and other components?

Anyway - have fun debating. . .

I don't know if the weather affecting ships/components would be ideal sounds resource intensive. Different biomes having different effects would be easier on the server than tracking weather patterns for the entire universe would be a challenge. 

Fog- it doesn't do much but reduce visibility

Drought- Character gets dehydrated easier, plants have a harder time growing (lasts longer than other weather effects)

Survival Elements: We are considering to implement survival gameplay. In the case we would develop this aspect, we haven't decided possible features yet. Some ideas we are currently looking into are harsh environmental conditions, like atmosphere toxicity, gravity, temperature. The goal is to have survival gameplay when you explore a wild, unknown planet, not colonized yet. But once proper gear or element is crafted and population start to grow on the said planet, all the survival aspect would slowly fade as the environment start to be controlled.

Unless there is a tech to balance the weather effects then no.  If balance is able to be done then that would give more depth in gameplay/building for specific planets/areas.

From what I read about survival it seems the most detailed it would be is like shielding/armor to keep the ship from being damaged from radiation, toxicity, extreme coldness or heat.  The only effect is damage, but there are different "defenses" for the different causes.  Like a rock paper scissors type of play.

If the game would handle more in depth/varied effects than great but I wouldn't bet on it.