LUA Scripting

Jegleebow20

So I know that there won't be any npc's, but I've been wondering to what depth will the scripting be. EX: I build a drone and program it to search for and kill players

basically will we be able to create simple AI using the in-game LUA scripting tool

We will be able to create some simple reactions between players and objects. The exact specifics have not yet been fully revealed, but it has been stated that they will try to prevent automating things in such a way that will create imbalance. For example, if people could create unlimited war drones then they would have an extreme advantage over newer players or players with less resources, so there certainly be limitations on that sort of thing. 

Sometimes NQ mentioned that the limitation could be based on a fixed and low number of actions par minutes achieved by an automatic system, or automated elements statistics would be reduced in comparison to non-automated element....

So I think AI is a too strong word for what we will be able to create in DU. It might be just "simple automatic systems".

For example: you protect a building coupling weapons with a radar. Radar detects an enemy and trigger the weapons back. And in that case the limitation might be on the number of fires per minute or a limitation in the efficiency of the locking system. So, the same weapons would be more efficient if controlled directly by a player.

"Scripts are run locally on the client, but they can only generate legal actions towards the server. The number of actions per unit of time is also limited (so, if you make a light blink very fast locally, someone next to it looking at it via the server will not see it blink so fast, but some steps will be skipped). Scripts are also sandboxed and limited in number of instructions per seconds, total memory, and of course the set of functions that can be called. "

That was in answer of a comment by the Dual Universe CM on this video :

I am personally thinking that you will have to go to the old style days  of booby-trapping your base with the scripts system! Think : Indiana Jones and the temple of doom but a futuristic Sci-Fi version for you bases! =) I personally already have a few ideas I would like to try and a maze system.

It would be fun to create Challenge Houses where you pay to enter a base and try to get to the chest at the end, if you die on the way, your participation is added to the chest minus a percentage fee.

If video feeds are available it could be recorded and made into a competition fun to watch and bet on.