BOOM - BOO Mass test for alpha

Lethys

Greetings people,

As alpha is approaching fast we would like to announce the first player organized Mass tests, called BOOM!
For all alpha backers out there we in BOO would like to do those tests with as many people as possible. As this is an MMO with a strong focus on player interaction we want to help NQ in testing their server tech.
It’s perfectly fine if you test the game for yourself or with friends but doing the same things in huge groups has to be tested thoroughly too - so watch this thread (follow it!) or discord for the announcements of the next BOOM!

tl:dr facts:
- player organized mass tests
- narrated and guided by BOO staff
- two tests on the same day (8pm GMT+2 and GMT-6) for EU and US timezone
- NQ will monitor these tests for further evaluation
- weekly tests of different areas of DU
- g-drive storage for bug-reports and easy access for NQ

What YOU need to do:
- join https://discord.gg/CYNYpT9 (BOOs relay discord) 
- go to https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJofzdOkjNAU0RuMkYtVWE4QkU
  and RTFM
- download the spreadsheet and enter your details (ingame name, system, drivers)
- watch out for the announcement and join the voice channel in the BOO discord
- hopefully understand english
- if you hear “CHECK CHECK” - STFU
- do what you are told to do
- have fun!

We plan on doing those tests on a weekly basis, depending on the server-uptime and our RL. As the adults we all are you should easily be able to understand the rules of these tests and how to deal with the spreadsheet.

If you want to help organizing stuff for these tests (building ships in advance, scripting, building bases to test in,...) feel free to contact a staff member of BOO.
If you have any questions, issues or just want to improve stuff - please reach out to us.

We will upload a document before each test where we will outline the basic testing scenario. Feel free to reach out to us via discord or in that document (you can edit it!) with your ideas! Each of these documents will be in the respective folder on the drive to let you guys know in advance what to prepare for the tests and what we will do.

The first BOOM will include:
- movement
- gathering people in a spot
- jumping/crouching/running/whatever with different distances to each other
- (hopefully) a little surprise for you all

*NOTE* The spreadsheet might be subject to change, as we want to make the reports as convenient as possible for NQ for further evaluation

See you in alpha

The first mass test will be announced here and on discord - most likely one week after official alpha release of DU

Note: As things change in such a phase of a game, things like the discord, gdrive and other stuff might and possibly will change too. In order for everyone to be on the safe side (NDA) and because of the ever changing nature of a pre-alpha and alpha, I'm in contact with NQ since the beginning.

Well this thread is a very good idea and I'm sure many of the alpha players are interested in participating.

As you Cybrex said, it is a community effort, and I would prefer to see it organized at it.

Sure you have the credit for leading this project, but well, this topic is full of BOO and doesn't sound like a community project.

There is already a DU discord, and this kind of event should be done on DU discord more than on BOO discord.

And maybe other organizations would like to help organizing this project.

As I said, this is a very good idea, and I will participate if I can. But I think you would have more people interested if it was more a "community project".

3 hours ago, Elildar said:

Well this thread is a very good idea and I'm sure many of the alpha players are interested in participating.

As you Cybrex said, it is a community effort, and I would prefer to see it organized at it.

Sure you have the credit for leading this project, but well, this topic is full of BOO and doesn't sound like a community project.

There is already a DU discord, and this kind of event should be done on DU discord more than on BOO discord.

And maybe other organizations would like to help organizing this project.

As I said, this is a very good idea, and I will participate if I can. But I think you would have more people interested if it was more a "community project".

3 hours ago, Shockeray said:

I think these should be led by someone not associated with an organization, maybe even a mod.

That's why we said:

If you want to help organizing stuff for these tests (building ships in advance, scripting, building bases to test in,...) feel free to contact a staff member of BOO.

There's a lot of BOO in there, that's true. So what? We had the idea to do this for the community. We contacted NQ about it. We put long thoughts and effort in it. 

As I and others of BOO don't have full mod rights on the DU discord, we can't properly run a mass test there - as we need to adapt to certain situations as we see fit. 

This is a player organized mass test for DU to help the devs - there are no orgs in Alpha to me - nothing more. If you want to help DU, then feel free to organize a mass test yourself. Please contact NQ and BOO so we can figure out a timetable - we don't want such mass tests to happen at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

There's a lot of BOO in there, that's true. So what? We had the idea to do this for the community. We contacted NQ about it. We put long thoughts and effort in it. 

As I and others of BOO don't have full mod rights on the DU discord, we can't properly run a mass test there - as we need to adapt to certain situations as we see fit. 

This is a player organized mass test for DU to help the devs - there are no orgs in Alpha to me - nothing more. If you want to help DU, then feel free to organize a mass test yourself. Please contact NQ and BOO so we can figure out a timetable - we don't want such mass tests to happen at the same time. 

I apologize. I didn't mean the comment as a negative against you or BOO. I don't suspect foul-play since you have taken the time to make sure that everything it done right and planned ahead of time. I was merely thinking that since we are already spending the time running organizations, there may be someone outside of all of that willing to oversee these tests. Other people and organizations would of course be able to help out to the extent that they are interested, but that way it would be completely independent. I had assumed that there were going to be mods or posts in game letting everyone know when mass testing was needed.

But regardless of what I said, this idea of having mass organizations during the alpha for testing or fun purposes has been mentioned and commented on before so don't think that you are alone in it's conception. Although you do seem to be the first that has actually began an effort to organize for it, please don't act like you are the only one who puts in forethought about the game, there are many dedicated people outside of BOO.

1 hour ago, Shockeray said:

I apologize. I didn't mean the comment as a negative against you or BOO. I don't suspect foul-play since you have taken the time to make sure that everything it done right and planned ahead of time. I was merely thinking that since we are already spending the time running organizations, there may be someone outside of all of that willing to oversee these tests. Other people and organizations would of course be able to help out to the extent that they are interested, but that way it would be completely independent. I had assumed that there were going to be mods or posts in game letting everyone know when mass testing was needed.

But regardless of what I said, this idea of having mass organizations during the alpha for testing or fun purposes has been mentioned and commented on before so don't think that you are alone in it's conception. Although you do seem to be the first that has actually began an effort to organize for it, please don't act like you are the only one who puts in forethought about the game, there are many dedicated people outside of BOO.

I don't quite see the benefit of someone outside the game organizing such tests. And I don't understand why they should be independent....we're not trying to scientifically proof here that someone is guilty of shooting someone. We're just helping the devs improve the game.

These tests are only there to help NQ, give them data to work with, improve the game and test DU with as many people as possible every week - if people have time and participate great, if they can't - No big deal.

I never heard or read anything like this idea before so I'm not aware of any endeavor like this - we would've definitely talked to them beforehand about our intentions and ideas. Maybe those groups will approach us now.

And just to be clear here: I never meant or said that others don't put forethought into DU

11 hours ago, Lethys said:

I don't understand why they should be independent....

I think it comes a bit from fear. 

I don't think I need to remind you of the many controversial stories from Eve concerning insider knowledge etc. 

I understand why it might make someone uncomfortable. 

I personally haven't seen anything yet to suggest that NQ might be crossing some kind of ethical border in this or any other situation where cooperation is taking place. 

If it needs to be said, it takes a lot of time setting things up for the community. Whether it be this BOOM, du-stats, Sleepers, DU Explorers, moderating the subreddit, building the gamepedia, Cinderfall TV or even Oz (did I miss anyone?).

These things are done by regular players with a passion for DU. If you feel you want to contribute then think of something and Do it. Most if not all of the player run initiatives want nothing more than to engage and encourage people. 

But the truth is many people prefer to critique from the sidelines, the arm chair experts. And that's fine, but if you want to be involved in or with the community in any way beyond just playing, put in the time and work to make it happen. 

I appreciate BOO taking the initiative in setting this up. It's something that is needed and it enables NQ and all of us to spend time on something else.

6 hours ago, Falstaf said:

I think it comes a bit from fear. 

I don't think I need to remind you of the many controversial stories from Eve concerning insider knowledge etc. 

I understand why it might make someone uncomfortable. 

I personally haven't seen anything yet to suggest that NQ might be crossing some kind of ethical border in this or any other situation where cooperation is taking place. 

If it needs to be said, it takes a lot of time setting things up for the community. Whether it be this BOOM, du-stats, Sleepers, DU Explorers, moderating the subreddit, building the gamepedia, Cinderfall TV or even Oz (did I miss anyone?).

These things are done by regular players with a passion for DU. If you feel you want to contribute then think of something and Do it. Most if not all of the player run initiatives want nothing more than to engage and encourage people. 

But the truth is many people prefer to critique from the sidelines, the arm chair experts. And that's fine, but if you want to be involved in or with the community in any way beyond just playing, put in the time and work to make it happen. 

I appreciate BOO taking the initiative in setting this up. It's something that is needed and it enables NQ and all of us to spend time on something else.

Absolutely correct. BOO is a community with very dedicated and passionate people who are willing to take the time and effort to organize initiatives like BOOM in order to help the game. I'm perfectly okay with this if NQ is - nothing wrong with a little help from players. I'm looking forward to helping improve this game during alpha and beyond, and I encourage our members at the Cinderfall Syndicate and the greater community at large to take part in this exciting endeavor.

Everyone has their own style - so do I. Really, as long as alpha does what it's supposed to (gathering data and testing the game for improvement), then we're good to go.

Cheers!

Does this mean there will be no official way of reporting bugs directly to NQ? I was under the impression that logging bugs could be done directly through the client. Is this incorrect?

47 minutes ago, Kurock said:

Does this mean there will be no official way of reporting bugs directly to NQ? I was under the impression that logging bugs could be done directly through the client. Is this incorrect?

I have no clue if and which system they have in place......

We just had this idea with the g-drive to collect all reports for NQ so that we don't spam them with thousands of pns/mails/reports. 

I have yet to talk to NQ about the best way of doing it and I will announce it here tooin but for now just assume that:

- we will upload every report to that gdrive

- if there's some kind of automated system or whatever, report the bug with it too

We'll have to see what NQ prefers and how we help them in the most efficient way

English (Translator used)

Hello Lethys,
Nice that you invite us all into the "Alpha Team Vanguard" group, does it know NQ-Nyzaltar already?

German (orginal)

Hallo Lethys,

nett das Du uns alle in die "Alpha Team Vanguard" Gruppe einlädst, weiß es NQ-Nyzaltar schon ?

mfG Die Waldfee

5 minutes ago, huschhusch said:

English (Translator used)

Hello Lethys,
Nice that you invite us all into the "Alpha Team Vanguard" group, does it know NQ-Nyzaltar already?

Think you misunderstood some things there....

This is for all alpha backers (Gold andand above)

I just released the first draft of what we will test in the first BOOM (drive storage, inside the folder everyone can edit) - feel free to add your ideas as comments.

Remember that these are only ideas and are subject to change at any time, depending on what we can test ingame.

Edited the Main post too

Nice work, can't wait to see what will happen during the BOOM. 

Maybe too much for the first BOOMs, but an idea for a later one:

Experiments with light. Stuff like how many light voxels are possible on one construct

-without crashing the Server

-without interrupting a player's connection and

-until no one can see anything but light.

Those Tests may help NQ to prevent light bombs in the future as a pvp glitch ... oh yea, never underestimate a bunch of light bulbs, it's annoying :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this idea again and because we're approaching pre-alpha release:

Reach out to us about ideas you have for mass tests, if you want to help organize stuff or if you want to run one - get involved now!

We've just added a BOOM tag on our discord and will start assigning that tag to people with gold+ pledges. 

We will announce the first test once we all get to know the server uptimes

On 12.9.2017 at 1:39 AM, yamisniper said:

everyone dig at the same time

please read the google drive readme and test descriptions of the first test to avoid double posts/topics which are already planned

As the pre-alpha is approaching fast we need to make sure only people with gold+ pledges are invited to the BOOM channels as there may be an NDA

Everyone who wants to participate in the BOOM Mass tests and pledged GOLD OR ABOVE should write a PM ON THE FORUMS to me (LETHYS - https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/profile/2114-lethys/). You'll get a password in return which you will send to me via DISCORD PM. This is necessary as the PRE-ALPHA may be under NDA !

Also, join our channel: https://discord.gg/CYNYpT9