Ground vehicles and wheels

Thor Wotansen

While I'm sure the vast majority of the people here are hoping to make a kick ass ship and fling themselves into the endless abyss of that last frontier, I am wondering about a more terrestrial mode of travel: wheels.  Obviously when the game launches it will take a bit of time before we all get the skills/blueprints/materials/ability to make ships capable of spaceflight, and we will need a cheap and effective way of getting around on the surface.  Will there be a selection of wheel elements of various sizes to make this happen?  And will the physics allow us to set things like the torque and friction on the wheels to overcome rougher terrain?  Also having wheels would enable us to have a racing league and have awesome races like in Speed Racer where you have those tracks that go upside-down and across continents and stuff.

I haven't read or seen anything on terrestrial vehicles either yes or no.

I'd imagine the materials required wouldn't be that much less than for a ship so would it even be worth it?

Unless there was some hard to fine resource that differentiated the two.

I don't see why wheels would be even comparable to spaceships in complexity.  The devs have so far not said a thing about wheels, however I see no reason not to have them.  We will need some form of mechanical actuator, be it pistons, flexible joints, or rotary motors.  I have no problem making my own wheels if need be, but it would be simpler to have a wheel element.  The devs have said it would be possible to build giant spaghetti monsters so they are thinking along the lines of some form of joint, but they have yet to say anything about wheels.

There will be no wheels, NQ confirmed that with an email they sent me in response to some of my questions before I joined the forum. Instead the primary way of terrestrial travel will be via hovercraft.

There will be no wheels, NQ confirmed that with an email they sent me in response to some of my questions before I joined the forum. Instead the primary way of terrestrial travel will be via hovercraft.

Hoverboards???!!??!??? :D

scoo5j6suvxrin5se6hh.jpg