Ship Combat Conditions

ShadowLordAlpha

Something I have always found extraordinarily dumb in a lot of the Science Fiction books I have read is the fact that, under combat conditions, the ships stay pressurized with atmosphere. In general for a plain flight this would be fine but in combat it can lead to many problems such as fire, depressurization, secondary explosions, people getting blown out into space, ect. It would make far more sense to simply deal with the problems of some space suit (its a future so I am assuming the suits are no where near as bulky and hard to move around in as current). Maybe some places could stay pressurized but the whole ship doesn't need to. In game this could be as simple as slightly changes damage values like some things don't actually penetrate as much or cause secondary explosions though its very dependent on the mechanics in the game. Those two suggestions were basically to simulate it without actually needing to model a simple atmos type system.

I mean game wise, any ship atmosphere is going to be made from a bubble like generator if possible at all. So no depressurization and fires are probably element specific animations that will play regardless of atmosphere and none of us can even take off our space suits

Quote from Kickstarter AMA Event - Third & Last Part :

Will there be pressurized environments? So if an unshielded and unarmored construct is hit by a missile, would we have to close bulkhead doors to prevent the ship depressurizing?

This feature is hard to implement in a non-predefined environment, and in Dual Universe everything will be made by players, so we cannot know in advance the shape of volumes inside a ship. The computational requirements to calculate what is a sealed area is therefore potentially unbounded. So it is very unlikely that we can implement physically-based pressure systems. 

Just adding, this is what you want :

You all seem to be thinking about it wrong (at least to me) You don't actually need a pressure system simply a few Booleans connected to a construct and an environment check. you can fake stuff extremely well without actually having a lot of the complicated parts.

maybe we could see the pressurization system as still a buble, but wich would act as a shell around the ship following the aproximate contours of the ship,

if a ship is "pressurized" all voxel damage is severly increased, and if not, then regular damage would apply...

That's the simplest way to incorpore your idea, however I can't really consider the amount of complexity involved in drawing the contours of a 3D shape...

So unless there is a magical solution to that... i don't see a way pressurization could be better than plain oxygen bubbles....

I for one look forward to the day when I get blasted out into space because of an explosion in the hallway I'm running down during a battle. 

Especially if it happens during in the middle of a warp... 

If we have pressurization in ships, what positive purposes would they serve? I only see negatives being listed here :P 

If they provide a breathable atmosphere, I could see them being useful if being in space requires the use of oxygen in air tanks. 

If we have to eat food in Dual Universe at some point, then I can see having pressurized environments important for any ship big enough to have a garden onboard. Or for transporting livestock.

I could also see pressurized environments being important for transporting certain types of minerals, perhaps some materials will combust when exposed to an atmosphere so they need to be transferred explicitly in a vacuum pressurized cargo hold. 

It just seems to me that it would be easier to push for being able to pressurize ships if there are other things in place that necessitate it.