The Vanities/Fashion and other pretty things

Munney

Although much is being said regarding the game mechanics, physics this and that, I have heard very little about character creation, clothing fashion and though for the more techically inclined this matters little in the grand scheme, as a female who appreciates a good charactor creator and loves the silly vanity items like jewlery and clothes, pets and lets not forget SHOES!!! I would like to hear some more about this subject.

I know myself well enough to know I will hate to see my char wearing the same space jumpsuit day in and day out and dont even get me started on those helmets. I can see if you have to be out on the dock of a mother ship working in space because that makes sense, or even farming mats on a planet whos atmosphere isnt oxygen based but all the time?!?!

I know after decades of playing mmorpg's that even the gender bending males (Dudes who play only female chars) like dressing up their chars. I would like to hear others thoughts on this subject and by all means post some images of the kind of fashion you would like to see offered ingame. :P

If you look at the stretch goals, it says first level character customization. So I think there is a level two and hopefully a level three. Though I don't think it's a high priority for them just yet. 

My ideal scenario is that we get some body shop element to customize our look whenever we want. And all I want is a cowboy hat and a trench-coat. I do love my hats. :)

7 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

If you look at the stretch goals, it says first level character customization. So I think there is a level two and hopefully a level three. Though I don't think it's a high priority for them just yet. 

My ideal scenario is that we get some body shop element to customize our look whenever we want. And all I want is a cowboy hat and a trench-coat. I do love my hats. :)

Tribal tattoos, rocking heavy industrial exoskeletons, and of course a parrot.

Yeah we haven't heard much about character creation in a while. I would like to see some customization that you can make unique, instead of just pick 1 of 6 canned bodies/heads/hair. Also the ability to change clothes/suits. It might not be that advanced at release, but maybe it will get there.

We also know of the Alpha team outifts you get from backing, but other than that I hope we see a range of costumes that people can muck around in. As long as there's no in-game benefit to them, but thats a whole different topic.

I consider a good character creator to be an essential part of a good MMO.  I want to be able to make a character with the image that I want to present in the game.  However, I think having only helmets available was a good choice at this stage of development.  This way, our faces can remain hidden until there is time to develop a character creator that gives us a lot of flexibility in choosing our appearance.  I prefer this to starting with one that would only allow us to pick from a number of preset faces, and then have people associate that look with our characters. 

3 hours ago, yamamushi said:

This is all we know about Character Customization so far :)

Yes I know. How awful is that? and why do the females stand like a dude LOL It HAS to get better, it can only go up from here.

I too would like to eventually see other outfits and modifications of those outfits, either through dying and/or mixing and matching. But I don't think that the idea fits as well into this world as it would into say the WoW universe. We are all going to be space explorers from the same mothership, so realistically the uniform variety would be minimum seeing as everyone is the same rank. But ignoring that fact, it would be nice to see a variety of climate based outfits for people in different biomes as well as some way that you could differentiate different organizations at a distance just by what they are wearing.

1 hour ago, Kuritho said:

Don't make this a gender thing.

Men and women generally stand the same.

Especially in a world where everyone may be machine-raised/genetically-modified.

I want decals... lots of them.  User created ones too... I'd prefer to be able to directly upload my own but I can see that potentially being a problem so... maybe have a contest every few months where 20 decals submitted by the community get added to the game.

Any way... I want to be able to drag, scale, and place such decals onto anything I own.  Clothes... ship parts... my characters skin...

It annoys me greatly when character creation has jewelry and tattoos but they can only be toggled on or off... you can't move them... combine multiple... rotate or scale them up or down.  Really frustrating.

I don't think community content would have to be limited in quantity in a given time like that.

You can add a few prerequisites, for formal requirements (organization needs to be X old and / or have X members, for example at least 2 registered chars or user needs to have a certain standing or post history in the community). These do not have to be exorbitantly high but can lower the potential input or work load of the next step.

The next step would be that you can request custom decals or visuals to be uploaded (once you meet requirements and / or pay a certain in-game fee, for example) and a moderator, trusted community member or someone specifically assigned to check those requests all day then has to take a look and clear them after checking they are within reason.

You can also cap this so that an organizational entity itself can only request new uploads or clearances of X within Y. Say, X initially and then only a few every few weeks or so.

The task itself could simply consist of (briefly) looking at an entry and then clear it, postpone it (inquire with uploader, etc) or deny with some reason - likely a reference to a rule if something does not conform.

It would be a possibly menial tasks if you have many requests in line, but it would be fairly quick for each request. Take a look, see if it fits, then clear it or deny it and state why it does not conform and what rule it touches. If there's disputes because something is unclear, if it's a mod or trusted community member who is not directly a mod, you can move it up one level and let one or several mods / NQ in general decide and you move on.

As there is no content checking with voxel I don't see why it wouldn't be okay to not have any for decals.

If this is really an issue, we can have a community-driven organisation that hunts player reported to be out of line in their character customization or in their buildings, warn them to get rid of it or get a sort of punishment such as destroying their assets or being cast out of cities/zones, etc...

It could the one of the role of a Police organisation for example.

I believe those options will be eventually applied later in the game. It would be nice if we had some customization already available at launch tho, since I'm also a big fan of fashion in MMOs xD

Anyway, the priority should always be the gameplay and server stability otherwise it's pointless to even have char customization.

On 8/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, Kuritho said:

Don't make this a gender thing.

Men and women generally stand the same.

hahaha well it could more be a generational thing, I am old son raised in a time when girls stood and sat with their legs together lol some like a vise LOL So not so much gender but personal preference ;o)

• 4 years later...

I like to dress up, and I also like to dress my characters. That’s why I’m for as much customization as possible. I like when you can put on a character, something like a regular outfit that you would like yourself, and then change it with another one. I am more of an appearance guy and think that game designers should more often visit popular websites with clothes like forstep style and take some notes on what is trending now. This might help them make the game look more user-friendly and attract more people who would not normally play it. It’s a smart trick to involve more new people in the game you create without even making a great marketing campaign.

Edited by bastalin

27 minutes ago, bastalin said:

I like to dress up, and I also like to dress my characters. That’s why I’m for as much customization as possible.

I know we've had some necro posts...but this is a bit overboard with the topic being 4 years old...it is a bit hilarious to see people talking about "launch" back in 2017 assuming that so much would change in the years to follow. Ah, back when the forum was optimistic about what this game would be.