The [Luminous] are the first group. They consider the main driving force to be knowledge and wisdom. They value science, industry and technology as the main sources of progress, and were heavily involved in the Rebirth Program, which led to the construction of the Arkships. They are, of course, very much respected for this even if some may criticize them for their all too rational take on things.

The Alphas are the second group. For them, the main driving force is, well, … force. They believe that people will respond mostly to strength and balance of power. They favor military action as a way to control and orient the evolution of the world in an attempt to avoid chaos and prevent instability. Their intentions are good, but they often fall to scandals involved with their expeditious way of handling subtle situations.

The [Ethereans] constitute the third group. They believe in the power of culture and arts. For them, humanity needs to be driven by dreams, beauty and ideals before anything else. This is what gives us meaning. They are not against more practical endeavors, but like to see these activities as a way to expand and support their vision. They have many supporters, but are also often criticized for their lack of pragmatic action.

The [Emporium] is the final group. They believe in the power of money and commerce. They think that this has been the life and blood of human societies for millennia and, even if they will gladly regret it in private, they think this is nevertheless what gets the job done and can really set people in motion. Some point to them as a cause of an ever greater inequality, but they know how to silence critics and make people happy.

We know of various cultures within Dual Universe that arrived within the last centuries of Earth. The Luminous, Alphas, Ethereans and the Emporium. Aside from this little tidbit of knowledge, not much else is known about them. While we await for Alpha to be released, why not have some fun and speculate. What drove these cultures to arise? Who would you side with. Maybe create some history for one of them. Each culture will have their own ups and downs and intricacies. I hope they're given a proper lore/background by NQ, and I'm looking forward to them being picked up by various organisations out there.

I re-found this while trawling through the lore double checking things for another project. And spent a few minutes creating potential emblems for each culture for fun. Feel free to touch them up as there are definitely better artists than me and I used my laptop+track pad. Or come up with better designs.

DU Culture.jpg

As the skill system will possibly work the same way as in eve I can imagine you get different starting skills for each group but you're still able to train all others ofc.

Those emblems are dope and I would definitely join the phallus with 3 testicles....because you can never have enough ballz xD

18 minutes ago, Lethys said:

As the skill system will possibly work the same way as in eve I can imagine you get different starting skills for each group but you're still able to train all others ofc.

Those emblems are dope and I would definitely join the phallus with 3 testicles....because you can never have enough ballz xD

The Emporium logo looks like something from mario

I am (will be) an alpha player. I played Eve online. I stopped EVE because of the brutality of the economy, and the skill system which means "if you want to play another way, you can : just buy several accounts". If DU is so close to EVE ONLINE, will players feel really free in this infinite universe ?

43 minutes ago, kirito said:

I am (will be) an alpha player. I played Eve online. I stopped EVE because of the brutality of the economy, and the skill system which means "if you want to play another way, you can : just buy several accounts". If DU is so close to EVE ONLINE, will players feel really free in this infinite universe ?

Well yeah, eve is limited to ships for the most part. Although the economy and skill system will be similar DU will have a lot more to offer with the player created and driven content.

42 minutes ago, kirito said:

The brutaity of the economy - the freedom to trade/buy/sell how we want is what made it enjoyable for those of us who played the market game... we waged our own wars in doing it, but instead of using guns we used the power of the almighty credit to make our enemies feel our wrath... I do hope to be able to do the same thing here eventually... the market games are so much fun to play...

It goes hand in hand with making lots of money...

"Confessions of an eve trillionare" 

While those 4 are canon, we would remind the community of a 5th path - Aetherians.

While the other 4 paradigms focused on how mankind would meet the destruction of Earth, and the human diaspora and the subsequent creation of a new society - Aetherians (of which the Aether is representative, but noting membership in the Aether is in no way a requirement for a given character to follow Aetherian thinking) are focused on the now and neutral pragmatism - we are concerned with the outcome, not the means, and in ensuring mankind will be around to have the luxury of one day deciding which of those 4 approaches will work.

Aether lore suggests that Aetherian philosophy was popular with cultures and groups on the fringes of society who did not have the luxury of thinking about life from a "first world problem" perspective and for whom life was short and violent - the independent Belters who we postulate would be come BOO, professional military outfits and cultures like Vanguard or the Anzaki for instance, or traditional international human rights and aid groups for whom fixing a problem now was more important than thinking about what might be.

If you aren't sure where your next meal is coming from, or even if you'll wake up tomorrow - you're unlikely to be debating the philosophical aspects of mankind's survival.

Just some thoughts. I promise I will write a lot more when I am in a better head space.

On 17/08/2017 at 3:05 PM, WilksCheckov said:

La brutaité de l'économie - la liberté de commercer / acheter / vendre comme nous voulons est ce qui l'a rendue agréable pour ceux d'entre nous qui ont joué au marché ... nous avons mené nos propres guerres en le faisant, mais au lieu d'utiliser des armes à feu, nous avons utilisé Le pouvoir du crédit tout-puissant pour que nos ennemis sentent notre colère ... J'espère pouvoir faire la même chose ici éventuellement ... les jeux de marché sont tellement amusants à jouer ...

Il va de pair avec beaucoup d'argent ...

"Confessions d'une veille trillionare" 

You may work at Goldman's sachs ^^

• 4 months later...
50 minutes ago, TheMasterArchitect said:

Any groups related to this?  I have found two groups named "Emporium" on the DU organization page.  They slightly seem to be connected to the lore.  Does anyone know if the groups are connected or not?

They are not.

NQ has not made any organisations in regards to the lore itself - nor should you take Lore seriously, I for example, have made up the lore that Squirrels became highly  intelligent and humanity is on the run from them in DU.

41 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

nor should you take Lore seriously,  

Ignore him, he just likes to spoil the fun :P

But no, I haven't seen any groups following these and this is the only thing we have about these groups so far from NQ. I personnally think it would be cool to see a subculture emerge around these groups. Which we would most likely see in political entities.

3 hours ago, TheMasterArchitect said:

https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/emporium-corporis

https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/galactic-emporium

These two groups that I'm talking about are the ones that seem like they are following the lore.

Which means nothing. It's lore. Once the game launches these orgs' purpose becomes empty. You got farm more chanceso f making something out of a new org than basing it on Lore, which will change - a lot - as it usually happens with any game's Lore.

It's a sandbox, build a sandcastle.

The lore and groups will evolve with the game. As events happen and devs add more in. So you could make the groups now, but as twerk says, you'll probably be changing them often so they fit.

Maybe you can even manage to find a (subjective) "balance" and cater to more people that way, minding the past and setting (lore) while being unique and doing your own things that make you stand out for the future.

Besides, classic RPers will always try to mind the lore in some way, and I guess DU will invite those, too. They can not literally create their sandcastle but any faction and style they want, which seems to be more than lucrative if you ask me. Next thing you know you might even have groups resembling famous factions from other franchises. Not that this did not happen already, eh? :P

I'm creating lore for my own group.  Maybe I can tie it in somehow to the DU cultures.   My group's theme is that we are crusaders fighting in the name of our gods and trying to build the ultimate utopia.  For now I don't see it fitting in with any of these groups.

I come from mainly games with role play involved so I would like to involve the lore into my group.

17 hours ago, TheMasterArchitect said:

I'm creating lore for my own group.  Maybe I can tie it in somehow to the DU cultures.   My group's theme is that we are crusaders fighting in the name of our gods and trying to build the ultimate utopia.  For now I don't see it fitting in with any of these groups.

I come from mainly games with role play involved so I would like to involve the lore into my group.

Yeah, see, this is the problem.

You claiming you are an ex-soldier of the UMF can work.

You claiming "I was the hero of the [Battle that happened between player orgs]" is not gonna fly well, you''ll only be trolled and mocked if you did so. RP has its place.

And DU has its "religious fundamentalists" in the form of some nihilist terrorists who want everyone on Earth to die and are opposed to the idea of the Arkships... So, if your thing is to murder people and see the game burn to the ground, hey, you got a group you can RP as. If Captain American can get away with Hydra infiltrating a top secret organisation in the span of 70 years, anything is possible :P .

Just don't put things like "crusaders" in your org's lore. That is asking to be messed with. Crusaders were ex-convicts who were given pardons in order to go and commit crimes against fellow christians in Constantinopole and Asia Minor territories and then go murder half a million muslims and christians in the middle-east - not to mention how much Jerusalem suffered under the crusaders. You may be american or not familiar with history, but 90% of eastern europeans and almost 100% of any Middle-Eastern players will see your "crusader" comment, as Jews see the word "Nazi".

But hey, if you want to RP as something like the Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout 3, using the image of a knight, and being an Anti-PK group, sure, I don't find any issue with it, heck, you can even  claim some dead - or almost dead - dogma, like Mithraism, as your worship.

Yes, Tolkien was an unoriginal british fella who stole 99% of his Lore from other cultures. Mithrantir (Gandalf's real name) is based on the mth of Mithra.  Of course, Tolkien's real work is on the message of his stories, not the lore itself. And take that as a guideline for your lore, the MESSAGE, not the lore. Nobody wants to hear how "badass" you are or how "divinely ordained" your group is. Make your lore about what you stand for without belittling others.

Cheers.

Nah we will have our own mythical beings that we follow.  I like the idea of having gods in the group.  I came from Conan Exiles and really liked choosing between gods over there (crom, mitra, set, ect.).  That's where my inspiration of starting a Godly group comes from.  We won't be christians or what have you but we are creating our own story for it.  I wouldn't consider bringing in any actual religion into the group.  Were not like these Nihilists that you speak of.  Possibly we are more similar to the Tau of Warhammer 40k but in a non aggressive manner.

So if crusaders is something that bothers people what would you call us then?  We are still a group that pushes forward in the name of our gods.  I thought that's what a crusader is all about.  Fighting in the name of your god..

I am not religious at all but all religions have had "crusader" moments in history, including muslims.  Not sure if you were implying that they werent but it seemed like it so I wanted to point that out.

1 hour ago, TheMasterArchitect said:

Nah we will have our own mythical beings that we follow.  I like the idea of having gods in the group.  I came from Conan Exiles and really liked choosing between gods over there (crom, mitra, set, ect.).  That's where my inspiration of starting a Godly group comes from.  We won't be christians or what have you but we are creating our own story for it.  I wouldn't consider bringing in any actual religion into the group.  Were not like these Nihilists that you speak of.  Possibly we are more similar to the Tau of Warhammer 40k but in a non aggressive manner.

So if crusaders is something that bothers people what would you call us then?  We are still a group that pushes forward in the name of our gods.  I thought that's what a crusader is all about.  Fighting in the name of your god..

I am not religious at all but all religions have had "crusader" moments in history, including muslims.  Not sure if you were implying that they werent but it seemed like it so I wanted to point that out.

Call yourselves Templars O.o who actually started by fighting to protect the caravan roads.

And no, a crusader is not a person that fights in a name of a god. Wearing a cross on your chest doesn't amke you a holy warrior.

I can see you are not familiar with actual history, so I will just let the comment "muslims had their own crusader moment" thing fly by. Those people that news dub "jihadists" are not that, same way the rapists and murderers who went on the crusades were no christians. Do not get caught on sensationalism. Middle-Eastern countries may have differences culturally, but all of them celebrate Salladin as the person who kicked the murderous crusaders off of their lands. Trust me, you don't really want to be associated with the crusaders, there is a lot of bias on that word culturally over this part of the world.

As for Conan Exiles, I used to play the MMO, Age of Conan, and my class was a Herald of Xotli. So, if you like demons from dark dimensions that even Mitra is scared of, you can look that up.

Just don't try to inject fantasy elements in an MMO based around science. It won't work well :P . Do allegories instead, like the Judge Dredd series, where Lady Justice is an idea, not an actual goddess.

Cheers.

P.S :Star Wars is not sci-fi FYI, it's Space Fantasy. It has as much to do with actual science as Lord of the Rings has.

I think that the definition crusader can be interpreted in different ways since the vocabulary of it is changed depending on the circumstance and pretense that its being used in.  You are going on the notion that am I am referring to actual crusaders during Europe's medevil era but the definition I am using comes from this:

"a person who campaigns vigorously for political, social, or religious change; a campaigner."

We could even say that we are "religious campaigners" according to this instance.

I don't know if English is your first language but the word can be manipulated or changed depending on the context you use it in.

With that being said I am still moving forward with my groups theme nonetheless. It's popular for Imperium of Man in 40k. I used to play as Orks in the 40k tabletop so I have some experience with the lore of 40k Imperium of Man.

3 hours ago, TheMasterArchitect said:

I think that the definition crusader can be interpreted in different ways since the vocabulary of it is changed depending on the circumstance and pretense that its being used in.  You are going on the notion that am I am referring to actual crusaders during Europe's medevil era but the definition I am using comes from this:

"a person who campaigns vigorously for political, social, or religious change; a campaigner."

We could even say that we are "religious campaigners" according to this instance.

I don't know if English is your first language but the word can be manipulated or changed depending on the context you use it in.

With that being said I am still moving forward with my groups theme nonetheless. It's popular for Imperium of Man in 40k. I used to play as Orks in the 40k tabletop so I have some experience with the lore of 40k Imperium of Man.

Ultrasmurfs? O_o

I'm more of a Chaos Marines guy myself. :P