Rotating Voxels

Sir_Rat

In one of the topics, Nyzaltar responed to Daddio, talking about how elements could be rotated, but rotation of voxels is not yet supported. Nyzaltar said about this, "but it should be implemented when the Voxel Elements will be introduced ingame." That was in May of 2016, so something could have changed that I missed.

So if this hasn't already, is it definitively going to happen at some point?

If rotation of voxels happens, to what degree of precision and accuracy can this be done?

Can we rotate a Voxel Element down to the degree, half a degree, tenth of a degree? Or are we more limited to, say, 15 degree intervals?

Can we type in a value of rotation like how you can rotate a selection in Blender with a keyboard shortcut and then value, or are we limited to rolling the mouse wheel and eyeballing it or snapping between 15 degree intervals?

What I have in mind specifically is how very large, round, circular, and spherical shapes (such as in a space station...which is a sphere...and is sometimes mistaken for a moon... ;)) will be designed/constructed: will it only be possible to create a massive sphere out of upright, aligned blocks (aka minecraft style) and then smooth the whole structure afterwards? Or will it be possible using aforementioned rotation techniques to build a large hollow sphere/cylinder in a way similar to the makeup of a static mesh by connecting thousands of ever-so-slightly rotated voxel tiles (comparable to polygons of a static mesh), voxel tiles being large flat shapes? If that last part is too poorly described, imagine making a giant soccer ball by first making the hexagons and pentagons out of voxels and then rotating them and placing them together at the seams.

If this topic is already answered elsewhere, please leave a link.

Thanks 

- Sir_Rat

Hi Sir_Rat and welcome.

You can see voxel rotation in the Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - February 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video (at 1min10s)

When they speak about rotation of voxels, I'm not sure they plan to rotate less than 90 degrees.

Because with a 90 degrees rotation, you can have no degradation of your shape. But at less than 90 degrees, this is not so sure, and I think far more complicated.

But there may already be a way to do so, with more than 1 core unit.

Hi there,

For the time being, the only rotation angle available for Voxel Elements will be 90 degrees.

The development team might allow customizable angles later, but if it happens, it will be most probably after the Official Release.

Despite the look of it, it would need a significant development time to be done properly: it's much more complex to anticipate how voxels would behave with anything else than a 90 degree angle, and so far the preliminary tests conducted in this direction haven't been satisfying. It's not impossible but it's a long road to get good results on this topic. So it has been decided to work on this kind of feature only when we will have enough time to allocate to make it properly (as you can imagine, the team has already a lot on the plate until end of 2018 before going for such feature).

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Okay, thanks for the replies.

8 hours ago, Elildar said:

You can see voxel rotation in the Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - February 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video (at 1min10s)

Haha totally forgot about that DevDiary. Thanks m8.

2 hours ago, Shynras said:

You should be able to obtain the same results with the building tools already in the game.

Which building tools, exactly? Are you referring to using the selection, copy, and symmetry tools or smoothing tools. Please elaborate what you have in mind.

Thanks

22 hours ago, Sir_Rat said:

Okay, thanks for the replies.

Haha totally forgot about that DevDiary. Thanks m8.

Which building tools, exactly? Are you referring to using the selection, copy, and symmetry tools or smoothing tools. Please elaborate what you have in mind.

Thanks

January Devdiary at 0:54 sculpt tool

and you can see it's possible to create steep angles here with a tool that connect faces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWcuwt9bjHo&list=PLA_lhIAGheMF-urA3BTdVCEIJ8SWeYMQE&index=7

• 2 years later...

I hope turn is added soon  I hope it is 1/4 turn voxal farms made it work I am shuer you can too but 90 is beter than nothing 

you guys are doing a great job  thank you  love what I see so far  I hope smooth tool has a strength adjustment I need low strength  to make paper thin  voxals beter 

Guest Annabella

I would really recommend looking though https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/

there are a lot of showcase and contest examples that have been created in game to show off what can be currently done in game with the voxels and elements.

If you are interested in building in game, I would defiantly recommend buying a package and getting in game now, you can buy the base package now and upgrade later. I can say much, but it takes LOTS of time to really get proficient with the voxels and learn how to work with them. This game has a learning curve, I would say a steep one because of the complexity of it. If you are really wanting to build in game, the time and experience you get from the alpha will be invaluable come beta and launch.

On 8/14/2017 at 12:23 PM, Elildar said:

Hi Sir_Rat and welcome.

Sorry but this is not rotation in my view, if i see rotating voxels i thing of placing a voxel to an element and that voxel rotates. lets say to build a hangar door, or a blastdoor or anything with a rotating voxel, an atat walker :P What is shown in this vid is copy pasting a section and turning it by hand by the designer or player, thats about the same as i turn my mouse while playing and i call it a rotating mouse, or i steer my car while driving and calling it a rotating car. 

if pasting a voxel in a different angle is seen by NQ as rotating a voxel then i will throw my head through my desk as thats not even a desk face, thats a deskFace of Utter Destruction.

Rotating is rotating, a rotor rotates, which means a block must be able to rotate without actual help of the person who placed it but by pressing a button or any other technical way.