Teleportation/transporter units

Lau2356

Hello, you will start to see me on the forums more and more soon, I wanted to add my two cents here.

I personally do not believe there would be any degree of harm caused to immersion by adding a teleportation method. For starters, even in Star Trek they could not always use them. The shields would be up on a ship, a planet would have too much background radiation, they would be one the first things damaged in a firefight, the signal is being intentionally canceled out through some means of electronic warfare. Most importantly, the Transporter had a very very limited range. Also do note that I recall each planet having different conditions tied to it, which included radiation.

I would love to have a Transporter pad in my headquarters, so that I could have Corp Employees take a quick and convenient shortcut. But of course, if somebody tried to beam right in who was not permitted, I do imagine the building's automated security ripping them to shreds; Which would be another risk or allowance to immersion.

The other obvious choice is something like previously stated here, Stargate. The Ring Transporters in particular would be probably more suited, maybe a bit longer range, but even they could beam down anywhere if they where within the right distance, like just hovering over a planet. If something like this got added, I imagine being able to 'encrypt' your transporter pad's codes, so they cannot just board you. In addition, like in Stargate, remember that they could be intercepted, and you could steal cargo (If you could escape weapon fire).

Personally I think having more technologies in the game, will permit more variety, and more immersion. They sure as hell added to the movies and shows the above examples came from. However I do see how a system like this could become a bit overpowering, if we do not anything we can do to counter it; But that's just an extra immersive challenge, right? Either way, I do not see transporter ships being phased out at all.

Hi Kusanagi, thanks for the reply ! Altough I first had an idea of transporters like you described, I found some issues in a system like this. These issues being more than anything the risk of having too much power due to the speed of this system of teleportation. You did talk about this in the end. The thing is, if we want some kind of transportation system, it needs to be limited so it doesn't affect the gameplay in terms of overpowering and immersion. A way to do this would be to have a limit of transporter uses for a certain amount of time, so it is a quick and convenient shortcut, but only once in a day. Also, it could be implemented in another way like elevators or train systems/hyperloops with regulations of course so they don't become overpowered. I think this subject is really interesting but this type of movement systems are not a base feature of the game and they will not appear, at least until the release (or after). I guess we'll have to see what kind of transportation system is possible in the game and until then, we can propose ideas but we'll have no way of testing them. Have a good day!

Thanks so much for the like, I really enjoy discussions  like these. I do understand that necessity. I mean imagine if I could just beam up the captain of a large ship that has its' shields down? While it happens plenty in shows, I see constant rampant abductions becoming quite an issue.

Or even worse, sudden boarding parties.

The big mechanics behind a transporter though, is you need to know where you are going. So unless you know the interior of an enemy vessel, you couldn't simply beam in I believe, or at least this would make sense; You might just beam right into the hull plating and die. One of the big things to combat that with a transporter that does not need a receiving pad, is you could require a marker, beacon, or simply for the spot to be "painted" any number of ways. Another thing you can do, is make it so it is very much one way; A pad can only beam out, not beam people in without another pad (Either a permanent, or a temporary thing, which will greatly limit it immediately to I believe non overpowering levels). A big reccomendation I would add is also to immensely shorten a one-way transport, let's say half a kilometer (0.5). Pad to Pad, I would say to permit it from orbit to ground, whatever the average distance of an atmosphere in DU is, make that the limit.

The big reason I see a transporter pad becoming kind of a big and crucial mechanic, is eventually the game will get much bigger, ships will be bigger, bases will be bigger, cities will be more intricate. While I agree with not just teleporting all over the place, It is a short range thing after all. Plus many of these limitations actually exist in the show, granted in Star Trek the transporters can go pretty far pretty quick.

As for limited use, I'm not sure. I think there shouldn't ever be such limits imposed; Remember, we're moving within just half a kilometer of the pad; Not across the galaxy to meet up with friends. I also just simply do not see this really breaking any war mechanics, or ruining immersion as I stated previously (Let's be real, we're going to see giant yellow duck and dick ships).

Another bonus to the system is just how easy it will be to implement in the future (not at release). We'll have stargates, which I hope will be unlimited use, as I'd love to go exploring; Which will already form a level of point to point teleportation. So it's really just an adaptation of the same mechanic. At least that is my assumption.

Anyways, personally I would love to see it; The only last thing I could state; Like a revival chamber, what if they where personal or organization use only? That would solve most issues I think.

I just imagine having a flagship to doorless HQ transport made possible. Anyways I am off to bed, thank you for your thoughts!

I'm sticking by my stance that I think we should have teleporter pads, but limit them heavily to prevent people from abusing them in various ways :T

In all cases I think teleports should require both a sending and receiving pad. I don't think people should be able to teleport from a pad to a non-pad position. In addition you can either:

1. Make it use fuel/electricity to operate and have it use more the further away the receiving teleporter pad is.

2. Same fuel/electricity concept except the cost increases based on how much inventory you're carrying / armor you're wearing.

3. Both 1 and 2

4. Make it so no armor/items (except for maybe some costume or cosmetic item, if that end's up being a thing) can go through the teleporter

5. Both 1 and 4

Oh yeah, I made those points largely myself. Not sure how much power the thing would use anyways, they seem to somehow be low power devices in the shows. As for not transporting items... I think the large point of them is to do exactly that; In the outer rims, a flagship is not going to necessarily have the means to transport enough aboard it to keep it flying with just the tiny little personnel shuttles.

I genuinely do not see them being game breaking; They aren't in any of PvP space games I've played. Some of them even let you weaponize them, like we saw a few times in Startrek or Stargate, beaming out a power relay coil, etc.

Anyways, good morning everybody, I hope you all have a great day.

On 2017-08-18 at 3:39 AM, Kusanagi said:

Thanks so much for the like, I really enjoy discussions  like these. I do understand that necessity. I mean imagine if I could just beam up the captain of a large ship that has its' shields down? While it happens plenty in shows, I see constant rampant abductions becoming quite an issue.

Or even worse, sudden boarding parties.

The big mechanics behind a transporter though, is you need to know where you are going. So unless you know the interior of an enemy vessel, you couldn't simply beam in I believe, or at least this would make sense; You might just beam right into the hull plating and die. One of the big things to combat that with a transporter that does not need a receiving pad, is you could require a marker, beacon, or simply for the spot to be "painted" any number of ways. Another thing you can do, is make it so it is very much one way; A pad can only beam out, not beam people in without another pad (Either a permanent, or a temporary thing, which will greatly limit it immediately to I believe non overpowering levels). A big reccomendation I would add is also to immensely shorten a one-way transport, let's say half a kilometer (0.5). Pad to Pad, I would say to permit it from orbit to ground, whatever the average distance of an atmosphere in DU is, make that the limit.

The big reason I see a transporter pad becoming kind of a big and crucial mechanic, is eventually the game will get much bigger, ships will be bigger, bases will be bigger, cities will be more intricate. While I agree with not just teleporting all over the place, It is a short range thing after all. Plus many of these limitations actually exist in the show, granted in Star Trek the transporters can go pretty far pretty quick.

As for limited use, I'm not sure. I think there shouldn't ever be such limits imposed; Remember, we're moving within just half a kilometer of the pad; Not across the galaxy to meet up with friends. I also just simply do not see this really breaking any war mechanics, or ruining immersion as I stated previously (Let's be real, we're going to see giant yellow duck and dick ships).

Another bonus to the system is just how easy it will be to implement in the future (not at release). We'll have stargates, which I hope will be unlimited use, as I'd love to go exploring; Which will already form a level of point to point teleportation. So it's really just an adaptation of the same mechanic. At least that is my assumption.

Anyways, personally I would love to see it; The only last thing I could state; Like a revival chamber, what if they where personal or organization use only? That would solve most issues I think.

I just imagine having a flagship to doorless HQ transport made possible. Anyways I am off to bed, thank you for your thoughts!

Those are some great ideas Kusanagi, I'm eager to see how it will work out in the game but I think the way you present transporters can be implemented in the game with not a whole lot of problems. Have a good day !