Teleportation/transporter units

Lau2356

Hello fellow forum members. I don't know if this has been discussed or not but I'd like to share my ideas on teleportation.

When I say teleportation, I don't mean ship teleportation like a Tardis-like ship that can go anywhere in space (and time but that's irrelevant in this post) in an instant. My idea of teleportation is more like the transporter in Star Trek. I am proposing some type of unit that would be capable of teleporting you from your ship to the surface of a planet. This could be done by having another teleportation unit on the planet, which could be accessed by the unit on the ship. The transporter in Star Trek can beam you down on any given coordinates of a planet's surface but I'm not sure if this would be this useful in DU since some areas will be protected and teleporting to certain coordinates is quite insignifiant if you are visiting a new planet, you should land on the unvisited planet with your ship to try and establish your base or settlement on that new planet (except if your ship is too big, then teleport to surface).

The best use I find in having those transporter/teleportation units is the following one : Let's say there is a big trading/economical hub in space, and you want to go there to do some trading etc. Well, since there is not that much space to land your ship, especially if there is lots of players at the hub and if the hub is situated in space, it would be practical to have a teleportation unit inside the hub, which would be accessible from the teleportation unit inside your ship. Of course, you could access your ship from the hub's unit after your business.

It could be a cool thing to have in your base too. For example, if you have a huge base, and you want to go from an extremity to another and don't want to lose time in movement, you could have some transporter units in strategical areas of your base to travel from one to another in an instant. These units could also be programmed to be accessible to only a certain organization's members and so on. Maybe you could even transport items inside those units. So if you have to build some ships or other things, you could access your ressources from the unit, without having to fetch them in your storage department which could be far in your base from where you are building.

Anyway, those are my ideas on teleportation in DU. Leave a comment, I'd like to know if you agree or disagree, and how we can improve this idea.

Have a good one ! -Lau2356

I like the idea of teleportation between ships but I think teleportation down to a planet is too much.

Teleportation should require a lot of cpu/power.

In addition to teleportation between ships you should still be able to physically dock via docking port or bay for the transfer of goods on larger vessels. 

Thanks for your insight ! I didn't think about the power usage until reading your comment, it is true it could take lots of power. However, we have to see how much power can be provided to a ship In-game and if it is sufficient enough to make ship to planet teleportation work. I do know there will be docking ports, I simply thought the teleportation method could be a little faster, if it's possible to make it happen in the game of course.

Already discussed in

BTW, NQ said "no teleporter", but if they implement a short range teleporter, I would prefer a system similar to Stargate transportation rings.

By similar I mean, transportation only between nodes in range, 1 expensive transportation element on each node. So, no transportation anywhere like in Star Trek.

8 hours ago, Elildar said:

Already discussed in

BTW, NQ said "no teleporter", but if they implement a short range teleporter, I would prefer a system similar to Stargate transportation rings.

I had feared this has been discussed already, thanks for pointing it out! I do agree with the stargates concept, but I still find that teleportation units would be practical inside a construct.

1 hour ago, ostris said:

My opinion the only place i would think is ok to have teleportation is between different places on the same construct. Basically a way for people to build fast travel stations on large bases or space stations.

Fast travelling stations on large bases or space stations is what I was thinking about when I wrote about the units inside a base etc. Thanks for your comment ostris.

7 hours ago, Lethys said:

I'm not sure on this one either.

For traders it's more immersive to have actual people flying those goods down to the planet and when people want to visit the planet, they need to havebe troop transports too - that way you keep people busy and not just teleport with a click

Thanks for pointing this out. I did not explore the immersive aspect, and I do agree with you that's it would be more immersive the way you said it.

3 hours ago, ostris said:

My opinion the only place i would think is ok to have teleportation is between different places on the same construct. Basically a way for people to build fast travel stations on large bases or space stations.

I think this would be useful without bad side effects. It might also be decent way of moving between floors without running around stairs with less moving parts than elevator.

I could also consider a system that needs to have some specifically built connection between transport units so it would be possible to say build a cable between separate buildings in a base/city, or very limited range transport between constructs that can't be used to transfer large quantities of cargo or travel between planet's surface and orbit.

Or how about pipes that you fly through quickly like in futurama :P

vactrain.jpg

16 minutes ago, Stig92 said:

I think this would be useful without bad side effects. It might also be decent way of moving between floors without running around stairs with less moving parts than elevator.

Or how about pipes that you fly through quickly like in futurama :P

vactrain.jpg

Thanks for your reply! I really like the idea of futurama pipes. Basically, now that I read your comment and that I think of it, the teleportation units could be a sophisticated type of elevator that would not take too much space, and could be used inside your base, moving between floors etc. Just like you explained :).

I would prefer to not have any teleportation at all.  Getting around a large base or ship will be a problem, but I feel having problems to solve is what makes a game interesting.  One of the challenges of building any large construct will be designing it to be as convenient as possible.  The way it is designed should matter.  If a teleporter allows someone to instantly go from one place to another, then where those places are located becomes nearly irrelevant and much of the challenge of designing them is lost.

8 minutes ago, Ben Fargo said:

I would prefer to not have any teleportation at all.  Getting around a large base or ship will be a problem, but I feel having problems to solve is what makes a game interesting.  One of the challenges of building any large construct will be designing it to be as convenient as possible.  The way it is designed should matter.  If a teleporter allows someone to instantly go from one place to another, then where those places are located becomes nearly irrelevant and much of the challenge of designing them is lost.

Thanks for replying, I get what you mean by designing a construct as convenient as possible. However, I think that passed a certain point, when your base is big enough, even if it is designed in a convenient way, there will be some places that will take time to access with normal ways of movement. I was thinking of teleportation in an efficient way for travelling inside a base (like an elevator), which can make the design more convenient in terms of efficiency in movement. I also agree that teleportation should not be too much a big part of movements because it will affect the immersion, so if it was to be used, it would be restricted to an elevator type of teleportation (it could be the solution to the problem of getting around a large base and you could have a restricted amount of transportation units in your base). Tell me if you agree with the elevator idea or if you still think teleportation has no place in DU. :)

You also gotta consider that the easiest solution might not be what fits the DU narrative. Sure, not having teleportation in a huge base or city might be a pain, but allows for more creative solutions, like "trains" (basically a hovercraft in a tube). And things taking actual time makes you appreciate them more, which is why I think teleportation might not be the best solution for DU.

14 minutes ago, SimonVolcanov said:

You also gotta consider that the easiest solution might not be what fits the DU narrative. Sure, not having teleportation in a huge base or city might be a pain, but allows for more creative solutions, like "trains" (basically a hovercraft in a tube). And things taking actual time makes you appreciate them more, which is why I think teleportation might not be the best solution for DU.

Trains do seem to be a good solution! I'd like to see how that would work in DU, maybe I'll try to build such a system. Thanks for your comment :). Now I see that the general idea is that teleportation would not be fit to DU's narrative or immersion.

Lau2356, interesting idea. I agree with Ostris here; I think for a large base, ship, or  whatever it could be very useful and cool. 

I think interplanetary, or space-to-planet teleportation is a bad idea, as it negates a lot of potentially meaningful situations: (especially interplanetary which I wont address) Using stealth to get into a city undetected to scope out defenses (well, the stealth part is taken care of), landing a fancy ship carrying a delegation of politicians to engage municipalities in diplomacy, you dont get to see the planet's cities from the inner atmospheres because you only come as far as the outer edge, depending on if it were implemented so you could bring cargo through the teleporter as well, docking bays would be half the size they would normally be, enemies can just teleport in and then buy a ship and then fight so defending a planet from space doesnt make sense, etc.

I do really like the teleport in base idea, though. would make it way easier to get around the death star. Then again one might get lazy in designing physical accessibility of a large construct if someone could just teleport anywhere when needed. 

Hi everyone, 

Nowhere we have clearly confirmed there will be "no teleporter".

Please to do not post "NQ said so" when there is no clear official statement.

There might be individual teleporters in Dual Universe, but if it happens, it should be very limited: 

No asset/gear/resources would be instantly transferred from one point to another, only the character "naked" will be teleported, and the number of teleportations during a given time would be heavily limited as well, to keep some game balance. Why such teleportation feature might appear? To tackle the issue that, at some point, a new player entering the game and wanting to join his friends that have settled their base in a solar system far from the starting point (area around the Arkship) would need to have a way to meet them right from the start without any problem or difficulty.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Indeed, my answer was not accurate. I have read this before :

On 20/12/2016 at 4:30 PM, NQ-Nomad said:
- Newly discovered safe zones should be activated by players to become effective. Once a safe zone is activated, it can't be disabled. It might be possible to teleport a character from one safezone to another, but without bringing any object with the character (no resources or specific items, except the basic outfit and the Nanoformer).

- The possibility for characters recently created in-game and who have joined a specific Organization might be able to teleport to a "spawn point unit" (again, without bringing anything except the basic outfit and the Nanoformer) built by the Organization, in a territory that it controls. Each new character will have only one opportunity to do so and if not used, this opportunity will be lost definitely after a certain time period after the character's creation (which is still to be determined but it should be a matter of weeks or a few months). 

And so, NQ don't want to have any teleporter the way it was describe in the 1st post.

(Edit : In fact I just found this video where I heard JC say "No teleport")

But Nyzaltar, you also said once :

- Advanced players will be able to use teleport technologies.

So, maybe you have something else in mind.

I think what Nyzaltar is describing is basically a resurrection node, as it is already implemented in the game, so that would not even break the lore! The only difference is that one can voluntarily “die” in one dimension, so that your consciousness is brought to another dimensions resurrection node that you choose. (so not à la Star Trek at all)

The other idea to fly through pipes for short travel like a “pseudo teleportation” is also very nice. Maybe there could be different levels of pipes for shorter/longer travels. It could even be possible to build a giant “hyper-loop” all around the planet, so you could travel to the other side of the planet in just 5 minutes!

Ok, I agree that ships are a much nicer way to travel and also look much better than some tube, but it’s just a matter of balancing things.

Transportation pipes could be an “endgame” feature, that costs insane amount of resources to build and maintain… But if an org manages to build such a thing on their home planet it would be an incredible achievement. It also has big military value, as you can transport large amounts of players around your base in split-seconds!

A cool scenario would be if the enemy manages to shoot a hole in the hyper-loop, which causes the whole thing to implode, killing everyone inside! xD

I think it would make sense to have teleporters, but have them use some type of resource every time you use them.

This way NQ could balance it so that getting from point A to point B with a teleporter would be faster, but also cost more.

4 hours ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Why such teleportation feature might appear? To tackle the issue that, at some point, a new player entering the game and wanting to join his friends that have settled their base in a solar system far from the starting point (area around the Arkship) would need to have a way to meet them right from the start without any problem or difficulty.

Well, I'd say they'd have to either send someone to pick them up or transfer them creds for a taxi. Otherwise people who want to transport players over longer distances would be out of a job... it's the "convenience of some over the job-diversity of many" problem again... 

5 hours ago, CyberCrunch said:

The other idea to fly through pipes for short travel like a “pseudo teleportation” is also very nice. Maybe there could be different levels of pipes for shorter/longer travels. It could even be possible to build a giant “hyper-loop” all around the planet, so you could travel to the other side of the planet in just 5 minutes!

Ok, I agree that ships are a much nicer way to travel and also look much better than some tube, but it’s just a matter of balancing things.

Transportation pipes could be an “endgame” feature, that costs insane amount of resources to build and maintain… But if an org manages to build such a thing on their home planet it would be an incredible achievement. It also has big military value, as you can transport large amounts of players around your base in split-seconds!

A cool scenario would be if the enemy manages to shoot a hole in the hyper-loop, which causes the whole thing to implode, killing everyone inside! xD

I'm starting to really like the idea of pipes! It makes me think of Elon Musk's Hyperloop. It could indeed be very usefull the way you described it and it would be a great alternative to teleportation from an area of a base to another. Maybe we'll have ourselves some kind of Elon Musk to realize all this in DU! 

52 minutes ago, SimonVolcanov said:

Well, I'd say they'd have to either send someone to pick them up or transfer them creds for a taxi. Otherwise people who want to transport players over longer distances would be out of a job... it's the "convenience of some over the job-diversity of many" problem again... 

I think a solution to this problem would be that the kind of service that offers teleportation for a new player, would be a one time service so it's easier for the new player to be with his friends. After that, players will have to use taxis and other such services or travel with their own ships.

23 hours ago, Lau2356 said:

Thanks for replying, I get what you mean by designing a construct as convenient as possible. However, I think that passed a certain point, when your base is big enough, even if it is designed in a convenient way, there will be some places that will take time to access with normal ways of movement. I was thinking of teleportation in an efficient way for travelling inside a base (like an elevator), which can make the design more convenient in terms of efficiency in movement. I also agree that teleportation should not be too much a big part of movements because it will affect the immersion, so if it was to be used, it would be restricted to an elevator type of teleportation (it could be the solution to the problem of getting around a large base and you could have a restricted amount of transportation units in your base). Tell me if you agree with the elevator idea or if you still think teleportation has no place in DU. :)

I would prefer to not have any teleportation, except for the very limited purposes Nyzalter mentioned.  I do think there should be elevators and other transportation systems for large areas, but I would like them to be the kind where we build a platform that follows some kind of track or path.  That would be much more interesting to build and we would still have the experience of moving from one place to another.

I have been in several games where teleportation was introduced as a later feature, which makes it easier to compare the effect it has, and to me it has always diminished my enjoyment of that game.  Places which previously seemed very real, which gave me the sensation of actually moving through them, began to feel like little more than menu entries.   It was click and do this, click and do that, which was much quicker, but not nearly as much fun.

For me, the kind of experiences I have while playing a game are my primary concern.  If I am in a huge base, I want it to feel huge.  I want it to take a long time to get through it.  If it is a busy place, I want to see the crowds, not go through deserted corridors because everyone else is teleporting.  Of course, not everyone wants the same thing from a game, but those are my preferences.

Speaking for myself, I don't think teleporters of any kind, over any distance, are a good idea because they remove risk and content from the game.

Dual Universe is all about players interacting with one another, and instant teleportation is the antithesis of that. Not only does teleportation remove the potential for emergent experiences while traveling, it also makes the traveler immune to spontaneous pvp, and both of those factors directly reduce the amount of available game content.

Furthermore, as with all of these systems, you need to consider the consequences of their abuse. No matter how expensive you make this system, one day someone will become rich enough to afford hundreds of them, and then they'll be able to make a transportation network that covers an entire planet, which would make them virtually immune to pvp while on that planet. This is inherently bad design, because while wealth should allow players to reduce their inherent risk, no level of wealth should make them immune to risk. 

So no, I'd prefer no teleporters ever, just to be safe.

19 hours ago, Ben Fargo said:

I would prefer to not have any teleportation, except for the very limited purposes Nyzalter mentioned.  I do think there should be elevators and other transportation systems for large areas, but I would like them to be the kind where we build a platform that follows some kind of track or path.  That would be much more interesting to build and we would still have the experience of moving from one place to another.

I have been in several games where teleportation was introduced as a later feature, which makes it easier to compare the effect it has, and to me it has always diminished my enjoyment of that game.  Places which previously seemed very real, which gave me the sensation of actually moving through them, began to feel like little more than menu entries.   It was click and do this, click and do that, which was much quicker, but not nearly as much fun.

For me, the kind of experiences I have while playing a game are my primary concern.  If I am in a huge base, I want it to feel huge.  I want it to take a long time to get through it.  If it is a busy place, I want to see the crowds, not go through deserted corridors because everyone else is teleporting.  Of course, not everyone wants the same thing from a game, but those are my preferences.

I think the general concern about teleportation is that it would kill the interacting and immersion of the game and the general position is that it should be avoided or limited as much as possible. When I first wrote this post I didn't think of those aspects and how they could be affected by teleportation. Now I see that teleportation in the way I first described it, is not fit for DU. Some interesting ideas were developped in this post and I think it could be fun to try them in-game. These ideas being the train system, the hyperloop (which is a bit like the train system), and the elevators. Also, the idea that Nyzaltar shared about a way for new players to join their friends by limited teleportation is a great idea, and it does not have any big consequences to it. Anyway, thanks for your words on this subject :lol:.

6 hours ago, Vorengard said:

Speaking for myself, I don't think teleporters of any kind, over any distance, are a good idea because they remove risk and content from the game.

Dual Universe is all about players interacting with one another, and instant teleportation is the antithesis of that. Not only does teleportation remove the potential for emergent experiences while traveling, it also makes the traveler immune to spontaneous pvp, and both of those factors directly reduce the amount of available game content.

Furthermore, as with all of these systems, you need to consider the consequences of their abuse. No matter how expensive you make this system, one day someone will become rich enough to afford hundreds of them, and then they'll be able to make a transportation network that covers an entire planet, which would make them virtually immune to pvp while on that planet. This is inherently bad design, because while wealth should allow players to reduce their inherent risk, no level of wealth should make them immune to risk. 

So no, I'd prefer no teleporters ever, just to be safe.

I do agree that teleportation shouldn't be abused and it should be very limited in the way it is used. However, I don't think a train system/hyperloop or elevators would kill pvp and gameplay. If we are to use some type of teleportation, if it is a feature of the game, I'm sure it will be limited in a way that a scenario like you described could not happen. A good solution would be to insert a teleportation limit for an amount of play time. Let's say 1 teleportation per day, this wouldn't make a planet immune to pvp. Another solution would be to simply have a limit of transportation units for a planet or an object. This way, players could not abuse of teleportation and wouldn't have that much places to escape to. But anyway, I think direct teleportation is not a favorite of the people that replied to the post, and I don't think it will be implemented (if it is implemented) in the game in a way that would cause the different problems we tackled in this post. I still think it can be interesting to explore alternate movement systems that could be a solution to movement speed in a base but would not be instant and cheated like direct teleportation. Thanks for your reply and have a good day!