What should I do to upgrade my PC? (For Alpha)

Kuritho

Uhh hey! It's me, completely computer deaf person!

I wanna upgrade my computer so I can run the Alpha verison of Dual Universe (and most modern AA games as a result, and google chrome ^_^)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 Plus

---/---

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 (aka absolute shit)

(I'd love a GTX 1070.)

---/---

CPU: AMD FX 6300 (Six-Core)

(I think this is definitely good for now)

---/---

RAM: 8 GB / DDR3 / 1600 MHz

(I'd want about 16/12 GB so I can run the Alpha well.)

---/---

PSU: 600W

I also need a new pair of headphones and a new mic (preferably separate)

(Yeah. I should really research computers.)

Ty!

I also have a 300-400 Dollar budget.

You could upgrade your cpu to an fx-8300(or is it 8600), and gpu to an r9 390. Cheap option, but it'll most likely only stem the tide. I currently have a 6300 as well, and personnaly think its not going to cut it at all. The 390 has served me well so far and is still going strong/can hold up most games at med settings.

1 hour ago, DarkTemplar said:

You could upgrade your cpu to an fx-8300(or is it 8600), and gpu to an r9 390. Cheap option, but it'll most likely only stem the tide. I currently have a 6300 as well, and personnaly think its not going to cut it at all. The 390 has served me well so far and is still going strong/can hold up most games at med settings.

Thanks for your help!

Can my motherboard get 2 GPUs at once? I'm wondering if I could just "wing it" and have 1 r9 200 and 1 GTX1070/R9 390?

Also, what about the stuff Nvidia offers (such as shadowplay and certain games take advantage of the Nvidia cards better). Does Radeon have similar features?

Right now, the 1070 looks better spec-wise. (What the fuck is a Cuda core tho)

Just now, UniversalG said:

Grab your phone, and then slam it into the CPU. this unholy fusion of PC master race and mobile plebs will give you unimaginable speeds.

i think

"MOM!"

"What the fuck you want, Kuritho?"

"THIS KID TOLD ME HOW TO GET FASTER SPEEDS BUT HE BROKE MY COMPUTER!!11!"

"Holy fuck. Honey, are you sure we didn't get the sperm samples from my cousin? OK- What exactly what did the kid say online."

"HE TOLD ME IF I RAM A PHONE INTO A CPU I"D GET INFINITE PROCESSING POWERS!!!!!11!"

*shotgun cocks in the distance*

1070 is better than a 390, newer as well, but more expensive. I don't know if your motherboard can hold two GPUs. As for having two of the at once. I do not advise doing it with two different GPUs. I don't really know how well it works, but Nvida do SLI and AMD do crossfire (someone else will need to help with this)

Multi different GPU support is possible with DX12, but it all depends if NQ want to add support.

Whoknows how much of a complex job it might be for a game such as DU to implement it, or if it's even 100% possible

Anyway, your best bet with the budget you've got is to look for a GTX 1060 6GB (or 1070 if you can stretch or want SLI in the future) they can be picked up for around £240, and spend the rest on another 8GB of RAM.

A GTX 1060 will be fine with your 600w PSU as well.

You can always look at the CPU and MoBo at a later date once you've saved up more :)

Edit: Also CUDA is an API used by programs (such as Blender) to enable it to use the GPUs power for other tasks, such as rendering

As an aside for others considering an upgrade and need to budget, this was mentioned by DU's Facebook page.

About the graphics, ships are made from a mix of meshes and voxels. Of course, meshes are often more detailed so here's why there's a slight difference. 

Please keep in mind that almost everything else is made out of voxels. If it can't be as pretty as full polygon-made stuff, Dual Universe's world is entirely editable. And that makes a real difference. 

Concerning your GeForce 1080 GPU, it's of course pretty neat. The real topic is that voxel technology is not friendly for GPUs for now. Voxels require to program to calculate them by the CPU. While it's too soon for us to announce any recommended configuration yet, we can at least say that a core i7 processor is a safe bet. 

Hope it helps! Thanks for considering backing us! We appreciate it

Reference: https://www.facebook.com/dualuniverse/posts/759311217574586?comment_id=759317544240620

Quick Question: Can someone quickly explain "GPU Slots" (PCIs and PCI-Es or whatever they're called. I'm braindead.)

I tried googling it but I always got either products or somebody asking if X motherboard/GPU has Y slots.

You should not buy a 1070 a day before RX Vega 56 comes out, it will be cheaper and faster, furthermore if you are looking for a recommended build that will run DU alpha + beta + release. You are going to want a new processor (i recommend a ryzen 1300x for best value) and at least a 1060 6gb equivalent or better, however the best value for that would be the RX Vega 56 which goes on sale tomorrow.

For the record i don't believe your processor would handle very well. 

I would recommend keeping your case, power supply, and then spend about 850 redoing everything else, but since your budget is so low the best thing you can do is upgrade your ram and buy a RX Vega 56 at 399 + the cost of ram you are already over, but you'll need that ram.

2 hours ago, BliitzTheFox said:

You should not buy a 1070 a day before RX Vega 56 comes out, it will be cheaper and faster, furthermore if you are looking for a recommended build that will run DU alpha + beta + release. You are going to want a new processor (i recommend a ryzen 1300x for best value) and at least a 1060 6gb equivalent or better, however the best value for that would be the RX Vega 56 which goes on sale tomorrow.

For the record i don't believe your processor would handle very well. 

I would recommend keeping your case, power supply, and then spend about 850 redoing everything else, but since your budget is so low the best thing you can do is upgrade your ram and buy a RX Vega 56 at 399 + the cost of ram you are already over, but you'll need that ram.

I kinda forgot to mention I could sell my old components.

So assuming somebody wants to pay 100-150$ dollars, and my processor could go for 25-60 dollars as well.

I could also steal the money.

Would buying a used GPU/CPU hurt the performance?

51 minutes ago, Kuritho said:

Would buying a used GPU/CPU hurt the performance?

Assuming it works it should perform the same. The only downside is it might have some wear, which could cause it to break sooner. But you're always playing the lottery with how long a component would last, used, or new.

5 hours ago, Kuritho said:

Quick Question: Can someone quickly explain "GPU Slots" (PCIs and PCI-Es or whatever they're called. I'm braindead.)

I tried googling it but I always got either products or somebody asking if X motherboard/GPU has Y slots.

Without getting into the technical details, PCI is essentially a type of slot/slot standard. PCI-E is an improved version. 

Within PCI-E there yet further different versions, with the newer ones typically allowing for better performance.

For your GPU to work at full capacity, or sometimes at all, it needs to fit and be compatible with the slots your motherboard has. Your GPU should tell you what types of slot it needs, and your motherboard should tell you what types of slots it has. If all else fails, throw your build into pcpartpicker.com and it should tell you whether or not everything is compatible. 

5 hours ago, Kuritho said:

Have you heard of the site called slickdeals? If you aren't in a total rush I would recommend creating an alert for that GPU, along with the 1060's and 1080's. Just two weeks ago the community found 1080s for that price on ebay (brand new), but the offer is expired now. 
But in general new reasonably priced GPUs may be hard to obtain at the moment with the whole cryptocurrency craze... New model releases, as BliitzTheFox mentioned, may help. 

36 minutes ago, mefsh said:

Assuming it works it should perform the same. The only downside is it might have some wear, which could cause it to break sooner. But you're always playing the lottery with how long a component would last, used, or new.

For the reason stated above, I would be wary of buying used GPUs. The ones used for mining cryptocurrency will have significantly more wear than those with normal use. 

Just now, Xugo said:

-snip-

Thanks man!

So could my motherboard get 1 or 2 GTX 1060/1070?

I'm wondering between getting 2 1060s (requiring me to FUCKING WORK. Blegh. Being a responsible human being?) or use a GTX 1070 (which is well... cheaper than 2 1060s.)

6 minutes ago, Kuritho said:

Thanks man!

So could my motherboard get 1 or 2 GTX 1060/1070?

I'm wondering between getting 2 1060s (requiring me to FUCKING WORK. Blegh. Being a responsible human being?) or use a GTX 1070 (which is well... cheaper than 2 1060s.)

No problem!

This is your motherboard, right? Between the two options, I think it would be best to go with the one 1070 if you're concerned purely with game performance since it doesn't seem like your motherboard supports SLI.

But maybe others can chime in. Zero personal experience using multiple GPUs so wouldn't be able to tell you how noticeable the change in performance would be.

motherboards are the backbone of your pc, gpus just handle graphics,  since we are trying to play games you want to prioritize graphics; however, remember there is no spending limit for any component in a pc build, you can surely find motherboards as expensive.

if you want whats best with limited money you are going to want to choose amd with their new ryzen 7 processors or ryzen 5 and vega 56 they would handle the game better than a i7 7700k and GTX 1070 or 1060, as well as be cheaper. Currently, more cores is more important than faster speed for this particular game.

3 hours ago, BliitzTheFox said:

if you want whats best with limited money you are going to want to choose amd with their new ryzen 7 processors or ryzen 5 and vega 56 they would handle the game better than a i7 7700k and GTX 1070 or 1060, as well as be cheaper. Currently, more cores is more important than faster speed for this particular game.

And what about other games? Will games such as Fallout 4, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege, Arma 3, Farcry 5, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, ARK: Survival Evolved, Rust, Warframe, Metro Exodus and DOOM at good qualities compared to the GTXes?

What about VR?

And also, won't I need to get a better power supply if I want to get 2 VEGAs? I also heard it's better at cryptocurrency mining.

I have a 1060 3gb and I'm pretty confident I will be able to run the game smoothly. I've run lots of other modern games easily with no problems. I also have an i7 processor and 32 gb of ram but that's another thing.

ryzen 7 vs 7700k is still only a difference of 3-5 fps, and besides, the graphics is far more important gaming wise, you wont notice much difference between the processors in most games. You will notice a graphics card change. And the Vega 56 would handle all of those titles better or equivalent than a 1070 while vega 64 would be same story with a 1080. its the pricing you have to consider. Not to mention if you are considering mining at all, ryzen 7 would be far better than 7700k

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 11:49 AM, BliitzTheFox said:

ryzen 7 vs 7700k is still only a difference of 3-5 fps, and besides, the graphics is far more important gaming wise, you wont notice much difference between the processors in most games. You will notice a graphics card change. And the Vega 56 would handle all of those titles better or equivalent than a 1070 while vega 64 would be same story with a 1080. its the pricing you have to consider. Not to mention if you are considering mining at all, ryzen 7 would be far better than 7700k

but an i7 7700k will do just fine. if not i might as well return my mobo and cpu and get the ryzen 7 or what not