Tree harvesting

Morand

We saw beautiful forests. We saw ground mining. But we didn't see tree harvesting, and as we know, it should be on the alpha.

So, I have some questions regarding trees:
1. Are trees made out of voxels like the ground, or like elements, or something else?
2. When a player harvest a tree, is it done like mining? Does all the tree disapear or just one chunk?
3. If only one chunk disapear, how to reach the top of the tree? Does the top fall to the ground or stay like a mountain?

These questions may look weird, but I may have some ideas depending on the answer.

This are some interesting questions ^^
The following is only what I think about this:

1.  I think voxels a better for the generation
  2. Second would be nicer in my opinion
  3. The tree should fall, following the physics

English (Translator used)

Hello Elildar,

good questions !
Somewhere is writen that you could reap trees, but they do not grow.
Has anybody Link's?

German (orginal)

Hallo Elildar,

gute Fragen !

Irgendwo stand das man Bäume ernten kann, diese aber nicht nachwachsen.

Hat jemand Link's ?

mfG Die Waldfee

14 hours ago, SimonVolcanov said:

If they don't regrow, as huschhusch hinted at, Wood (or biomass, or whatever trees are made out of) might become a luxury ressource, with high rarity, but little actual use...

but, that's how markets work. 

Sure, NQ can add later on a way to grow trees back by XYZ gameplay mechanics (cross finger for agriculture bringing such thing with it ), but truth it, naturally grown trees wil lbe worth FAR more than growing your own.

And let's be honest,. deforestation brings out the Greenpeace Extremist I always wanted to be, but never gave much of a damn for the Amazon to actually care becoming one.

I mean, DU is an MMORPG. I will RP as the guy hunting lumberjacks.

NQ really emphasizes the sandbox aspect and mentions again and again that everything is supposed to be editable. If you ask me, it would be really strange if they stopped at trees. I'd say it's more than likely trees can at least be removed as well as with practically everything, and in that case they should theoretically also land in your inventory one way or another, whether it's wood or biomass. So speaking from a common sense, they should be editable. Although nobody except NQ can guarantee you that.

For them to be editable, they would then also need to be made of voxels. Since DU uses dual contouring that is well possible, but that also means that if you remove a tree chunk, you will only remove that chunk and the rest of the tree will float above, similar to Minecraft, since the servers don't check if voxels are connected to other voxels.
Although that should only be the case as long as NQ doesn't implement any special behaviour for trees and they actually are made of voxels. 

They looked more like pure triangular meshes rather than a part of their voxel system to me -- but it's kind of hard to tell with dual contouring.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say they haven't really thought about it yet, or at least haven't implemented any of that yet -- so it'd still be up in the air.

Quite likely it'll be a mesh selected from some subset of possible trees, possibly with some procedural generation, that just goes "poof" when you harvest it (if it's even harvestable at all).

Of course all of this is 100% speculation, and we need the devs to weigh in on this to be sure.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:06 AM, Elildar said:

We saw beautiful forests. We saw ground mining. But we didn't see tree harvesting, and as we know, it should be on the alpha.

So, I have some questions regarding trees:
1. Are trees made out of voxels like the ground, or like elements, or something else?
2. When a player harvest a tree, is it done like mining? Does all the tree disapear or just one chunk?
3. If only one chunk disapear, how to reach the top of the tree? Does the top fall to the ground or stay like a mountain?

These questions may look weird, but I may have some ideas depending on the answer.

Finally, someone mentions the trees, I hope that we can harvest trees, I can think of a couple of uses for them such as decorating and using the wood for building.

7 hours ago, Celivalg said:

What would you even use wood for? Fuel? We are not running steam engines on spaceships xD

the only use i see is decoration wich Wouldn't bring it to a really high consumption...

Extract from Dual Universe Lore (Part 4) :

On 20/08/2015 at 6:15 PM, NQ-Nyzaltar said:
Without knowing why, I climb, scale the sides as quickly as I can and come out of the crater. I set out straight away toward the forest before me and approach a felled trunk. I point the canon and activate the morpher. The trunk disappears, sucked inside before my eyes! Lia projects the result on the visor of my helmet: 4 m3 of wood are now available in a single kad the size of a matchbox!

(...)

But after a week of exploration by foot, I had succeeded in fully coding the construct of a chalet for the night, with a stone space for the chimney and enough wood supply to feed it! I was an authentic trapper. All I needed to do was activate the construct plan with the necessary materials stored in my kads, and the chalet assembled itself all by itself before my eyes.

Yes, it's only in the Lore, but I see no reason why we would not be able to harvest trees.

I see many people are interested by this subject, it would be nice to have NQ answer to these questions :

On 10/08/2017 at 5:06 PM, Elildar said:

English (Translator used)

Hello Elildar,
We all want to find a few surprises in the ALPHA, right?
You do not have to plan everything before the start of the game.

German (orginal)

Hallo Elildar,

ein paar Überraschungen wollen wir doch alle in der ALPHA finden, oder ?

Man muß nicht alles vor Spielbeginn Planen.

mfG Die Waldfee

Hi everyone,

Please keep in mind a few things when it come to expectations for the game access at the end of September:
- you are not going to have a full game from day 1. This will be a version "work in progress" and very far from being feature complete.
- Everything mentioned in the Lore may not be represented in the game as a game feature. It's the case for any game. Dual Universe is no exception.

Now regarding Tree Harvesting:

- The crafting system isn't complete yet and trees won't be harvestable in the game version you will get at the end of September. 
- Trees are not made of voxels. They are 3D meshes.
- Currently, for practical purpose: when all voxels connected to a tree are removed, the tree disappear.
- Trees should be harvestable once the crafting system will be complete.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

Thanks Nyzaltar. The concept is more clear now.

This is something I suspected, and since we are going to start with advanced skills, we probably won't need wood in the alpha.
The temporary disappearing trees is a good temporary solution that will allow us to remove trees if needed.

So now, about my ideas, the team probably have already think/plan to do or not to do some of them, but I will sum them all here:

Since trees are 3D meshes, you can plan in the future to apply gravity on them, so they will fall when you remove the voxels below them.
Maybe you can even make them fall if a construct run into it, but this is probably more complicated since it depend on weight.

There is different solutions when harvesting them:
1. The tree disappear (Poof!) and the wood appear in your bag: simple, clean, not very realistic, but what if you don't have enough space in your bag?

2. The tree disappear gradually from the top: a little more complicated, clean, not very realistic, no problem with your bag

3. A chunk of the tree disappear where you hit it: more realistic but you have to handle multiple parts of a tree
 a. if the top part of the tree doesn't fall to the ground, you will have floating trees everywhere and it's not realistic at all
 b. if the top part of the tree fall to the ground, it is realistic, but you will end with many little parts of trees everywhere on the ground (that you also can make disappear with a timer)

7 hours ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Hi everyone,

Please keep in mind a few things when it come to expectations for the game access at the end of September:
- you are not going to have a full game from day 1. This will be a version "work in progress" and very far from being feature complete.
- Everything mentioned in the Lore may not be represented in the game as a game feature. It's the case for any game. Dual Universe is no exception.

Now regarding Tree Harvesting:

- The crafting system isn't complete yet and trees won't be harvestable in the game version you will get at the end of September. 
- Trees are not made of voxels. They are 3D meshes.
- Currently, for practical purpose: when all voxels connected to a tree are removed, the tree disappear.
- Trees should be harvestable once the crafting system will be complete.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

So follow-up question I guess would be if the trees themselves are not voxels what about the actual wood/lumber/fibers that are gained from harvesting a tree. I mean if we build a structure with both ore ie metals and wood is only part of the structure now voxel based and/or do the different materials have different characteristics as far as strength and durability goes? Probably questions you're not even ready to think about yet I suppose.  

• 3 weeks later...

Français :

Récolter du bois, okay.
Mais sera t'il possible de récolter des arbres, fleurs, herbes et de le replanté pour se faire un jardin, décoré l'intérieur de sa base ou celle d'une station spatial ?

Harvest wood, okay.
But will it be possible to harvest trees, flowers, herbs and replant it to make a garden, decorated inside its base or that of a space station?