Offensive Mining?

Father_Piston

As someone interested in pvp, I have to wonder, what prevents someone from just using the remove tool to mine through the doors and hull of my ship during combat? It makes sense to me that they would have to use weapons and explosives to breach through my structures

as long as its not easier to use those tools than weapons or explosives i have no issues with it, i mean if it takes someone 15 minutes to cut open my ship and 30 seconds to blow it open, let them cut.

but it all depends on how the mechanics balance stuff like this out. 

As someone interested in pvp, I have to wonder, what prevents someone from just using the remove tool to mine through the doors and hull of my ship during combat? It makes sense to me that they would have to use weapons and explosives to breach through my structures

You might want to read this ;)https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/07/24/territory-control/

For short, if you "own" the land, it wont be editable by someone else with the editing tool.

Destroying your stuff will require more firepower coming from an actual weapon then.

My concern is that in the gameplay video the remove tool acted instantly. Maybe it could change function when targeting voxels placed by another player?

My concern is that in the gameplay video the remove tool acted instantly. Maybe it could change function when targeting voxels placed by another player?

Perhaps the "remove tool" is a function one has access only in building mode and mining will be done differently. 

Perhaps the "remove tool" is a function one has access only in building mode and mining will be done differently. 

"Hacking comes to mind here. Imagine scripting a code that allows the override of territory control. I know, it's impossible, no? But to think of how that could possibly be countered..."

Demo/prototype effects are wip, dont panic yet :P

that you can add and remove giant wall sections in space engineers creative mode doesnt break the balance of the main game either :P

As for mentioned the RMDS can limit What players do to each others claims, but this is limited to what is on their claims not their ships. With ships you will be able to "grind" into them but it will take time depending on your defences and your RMDS. Also I believe that if it is on you claim they can not. I'm looking for the post this was mentioned in and will give link once I find it.

As for mentioned the RMDS can limit What players do to each others claims, but this is limited to what is on their claims not their ships. With ships you will be able to "grind" into them but it will take time depending on your defences and your RMDS. Also I believe that if it is on you claim they can not. I'm looking for the post this was mentioned in and will give link once I find it.

"You do remember that at the start of the game, every member of an organisation will be given a status/vote (I can't remember exactly which) which makes them equal to a legate. Some members will show their true colours. Best be careful, RDMS stops low-status thieves from stealing, but there has to be discipline and order to keep an organisation in check where everyone holds a vote."

"You do remember that at the start of the game, every member of an organisation will be given a status/vote (I can't remember exactly which) which makes them equal to a legate. Some members will show their true colours. Best be careful, RDMS stops low-status thieves from stealing, but there has to be discipline and order to keep an organisation in check where everyone holds a vote."

Quoted from ORGANIZATIONS:

To start with, organizations are divided into legates and members. All legates are not necessarily members, and vice-versa. The legates literally own the organization, which is divided into several shares that are distributed to the legates. Members don’t own the organization, but they have what we call “roles”. Roles are defined by a set of rights, duties and privileges that apply to members. A member can have one or several roles (and, as an legate can also be a member, there can also be roles for legates, but not always), and a role can be fulfilled by one or several members. Roles can be organized hierarchically, so that sub-roles inherit their default set of rights/duties/privileges from their parent.

The mechanism by which legates make decisions is voting, with a weight based on the number of shares owned by the legate. A delegation system enables certain legates to gather the voting rights of other legates. This delegation can be limited in time or not, and can be for every vote or for certain types of votes only. Note that the wording used here, “vote”, induces a notion of democracy, but this is not necessarily the case. In an organization where all legates have permanently delegated all their voting rights to one single legate, you have a de-facto dictatorship. Intermediary cases involve a parliamentary system, where a subgroup of legates concentrate the voting rights of all the others, but none of them can rule alone. All nuances are possible.

Quoted from ORGANIZATIONS:

To start with, organizations are divided into legates and members. All legates are not necessarily members, and vice-versa. The legates literally own the organization, which is divided into several shares that are distributed to the legates. Members don’t own the organization, but they have what we call “roles”. Roles are defined by a set of rights, duties and privileges that apply to members. A member can have one or several roles (and, as an legate can also be a member, there can also be roles for legates, but not always), and a role can be fulfilled by one or several members. Roles can be organized hierarchically, so that sub-roles inherit their default set of rights/duties/privileges from their parent.

The mechanism by which legates make decisions is voting, with a weight based on the number of shares owned by the legate. A delegation system enables certain legates to gather the voting rights of other legates. This delegation can be limited in time or not, and can be for every vote or for certain types of votes only. Note that the wording used here, “vote”, induces a notion of democracy, but this is not necessarily the case. In an organization where all legates have permanently delegated all their voting rights to one single legate, you have a de-facto dictatorship. Intermediary cases involve a parliamentary system, where a subgroup of legates concentrate the voting rights of all the others, but none of them can rule alone. All nuances are possible.

"Sadly, I've reached my quota one like too soon. Thank you very much Khaymann, just what I was looking for!"

"Sadly, I've reached my quota one like too soon. Thank you very much Khaymann, just what I was looking for!"

You are very welcome :), and its cool i don't do it for the likes I do it so people are properly informed  :D.

You are very welcome :), and its cool i don't do it for the likes I do it so people are properly informed  :D.

"Genuine effort deserves to be genuinely rewarded. Please keep it up."

• 3 weeks later...

I would think that their would need to be an unspoken zone of respect for other player's constructions. I can see mining the same area to prevent them from gathering resources. Aggressive, but a valid strategy. Except that we aren't really going to be in competition. That does not seem to be the nature of the game. And then there is the question of it the resources rejuvenate or respawn? These concept would have to be taken into consideration. But morphing someone else's construction? That just become griefing.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to play starmade, a minecraft-like space based sanbox game, and they have quite a neat system: you can have a faction module on a ship, if it is active, only faction member can interact with the ships, with the exception of weapon that can damage other factions ships. Thing is if you destroy the faction module, you can capture the construct/ship. something similar here would be neat.

Well thats basically hacking the game.

You would be banned for that.

"Good day, gyurka66.

I doubt it. The developers did say that the territory control units can be hacked."

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who had images of random planets with mined out 'dick pics' on their surfaces that are visible from space, when I read the thread title? 

you'll fine though that carving will be tagged by the player that did the deed, much like constructs. If a player finds a construct (or in this case, a carving) that violates the games rules, there will be a report system and the construct/carving could be removed. Depending on repeat offenses, the player may even be banned.