3rd person "drone" SHIP MANOUVER

AlexCout

So if i correctly understood what has been said about 3rd person is that there won't be any... 

But what about being creative? For example, I am flying on a big ship, having some complex maniuver to coordinate between my ship mates, I need to juge the space I have left between a wall/ other ship qnd my ship... It would help if we could have 3rd person, not from a gameplay pov but more from a technical one, what I mean by that is that we could have a drone operator ON the big ship wich could control a small, really tiny and reactive drone with a camera strapped on it, and the video feed could be transfered to a screen onboard... the question is:

will we be able to control a ship remotely? I mean I don't see an obstacle in scripting exept transmitting instruction from a ship to another one and more importantly transmitting data... i don't know how practical it would be but it seems feasible and usefull for those who miss 3rd person on ships

28 minutes ago, Celivalg said:

will we be able to control a ship remotely? I mean I don't see an obstacle in scripting exept transmitting instruction from a ship to another one and more importantly transmitting data... i don't know how practical it would be but it seems feasible and usefull for those who miss 3rd person on ships

In the last dev diaries they showed that you can control a ship remotely for testing purposes in a small area.

Some sort of immersive 3rd person view like a camera drone would be a nice to have

Though I dpn't know if the remote control they showed would be enough for controlling a drone around a capital ship, maybe we need something like antennas to increase the range of the fly zone....

we'll know more about it when alpha will come out

The Idea could be very interesting.

Because of the speed of a small drone, this would only be used in a situation where you must maneuver exact but slow.
And in fighting it would be easily destroyed.

I definitely like this ^^

Sure, make it a thing that has to be bought and you have to sacrifice armor wattage / cpu to use. No Empyrion crap, no cheat-sheet peak-around-corners without costing people a dime. Call it ''Tactical Drone'' or something like that. Just no ''free'' drones,

Cheerios.

1 hour ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Just no ''free'' drones,

Foreman_Domai_(SMAC).jpg.b513e9fa4db613cb5e5aff14f989e84f.jpg

Foreman Domai is most displeased.

--------------------------

I do find the notion of drone cameras to be quite immersive. Just camera feeds in general for windowless spaceships would be swell.

2 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Sure, make it a thing that has to be bought and you have to sacrifice armor wattage / cpu to use. No Empyrion crap, no cheat-sheet peak-around-corners without costing people a dime. Call it ''Tactical Drone'' or something like that. Just no ''free'' drones,

Cheerios.

Honestly, this. Empyrions drone was awesome, but it cost nothing and was a bit of cheat. So long as it has some cost in it for DU, I don't see why the same idea couldn't be applied here. 

We are not talking about an item in itself, it's a ship just a really small one and controlled remotely ( small compared to the main ship ), decreasing the stats of the main ship just because you have a drone flying around doesn't make sense in this way, I mean the drone will need manpower, a special installation on the main ship... but It shouldn't be just a " I turned on my drone, I have now 20% less shield efficiency because my drone is a low tier one..." 

6 hours ago, Celivalg said:

We are not talking about an item in itself, it's a ship just a really small one and controlled remotely ( small compared to the main ship ), decreasing the stats of the main ship just because you have a drone flying around doesn't make sense in this way, I mean the drone will need manpower, a special installation on the main ship... but It shouldn't be just a " I turned on my drone, I have now 20% less shield efficiency because my drone is a low tier one..." 

You are right, as we all know, drone remote controllers need no batteries. Especially drones that can go up to 20000 km/s (the max in-game space speed). Those drones? Nah, they don't need CPUs to calculate how to navigate. What, you thought you can actually fly a spaceship like a WW2 plane? Space is not WW2 speeds, you need navigation assistance to fly them - even in an RP way - and so do Drones. So... yeah, it kinda makes a lot of sense to have CPU / Wattage needs on drones. Sending signals to a drone takes a certain amount of energy, energy in such cases needs a frequency, frenquencised energy mandates a certain level of power (wattage) and wattage sizes DEMAND a certain level of computation (CPU).

That makes a hell of a lot of sense, if you know anything about how stuff works. You want a drone? Get ready to lose some to gain some. That's how DU's ship design works - JC Baillie said so, GDC 2017 stream. And JC Baillie also wants the EVE level of depth when it comes to ship building.

So no, you won't have a "Default Third Person view" in that sense. It would eliminate the First Person view of the game. First Person view already comes with hinderances (mainly, narrowed FOV compared to 3rd person and in ships, it's just "claustrophobic" ). So yes, the Third Person view should have a minus on it. It gives way way too much to be "free".

Cheerios.

I know way more about space manouvers than you think I do... however I wanted to point out that there won't be a "dedicated drone prefab", there will probably be a drone core/ drone transmitter... blablabla, but you have to remember that everything is scriptable, and the load of the scripts wich are generated (or created by you) should be your cpu usage, not a "i cost x CPU to run...", that's not really in depth, in fact it's a simplification of how the thing would behave.... I get that you all think about DU as a clone of Eve but you have to rememeber that it's way more than that, the way constructions are made allow for more complex gestion of your ship... the fitting system from eve should look simple compared to the DU building system...

and when I was speaking of 3rd person, no I don't want a 3rd person on my character, even if this game can't do everything with immersion due to server ressources, I definitely don't want them to implement things that don't makes sense in a RP perspective

• 2 weeks later...

Disagree with drones for use as 3rd person.

Not saying that unnamed drones shouldn't be a thing but personal automated drones that allows 3rd person game play shouldn't be allowed.

Piloting a small drone or unmanned ship via a terminal for recon should certainly be a thing. There should be limitations like range and fuel. 

Camera Drones have been discussed as something that could of use to pilots in the past, but I can't seem to find which interview it was part of that JC brought them up.

Perhaps it was part of the discussions we had at the dinner in San Francisco and I'm just mixing it up with an interview.

Either way, drones were something that JC brought up as a possible way for people to have a 3rd person perspective of their ships. 

That doesn't mean they're guaranteed or will be there in Alpha/Beta/Release/Whatever, but he did bring them up. 

23 hours ago, yamamushi said:

Camera Drones have been discussed as something that could of use to pilots in the past, but I can't seem to find which interview it was part of that JC brought them up.

Perhaps it was part of the discussions we had at the dinner in San Francisco and I'm just mixing it up with an interview.

Either way, drones were something that JC brought up as a possible way for people to have a 3rd person perspective of their ships. 

That doesn't mean they're guaranteed or will be there in Alpha/Beta/Release/Whatever, but he did bring them up. 

I think I recall that interview. But like I said it should be something that is piloted via a terminal and should be unarmed and if I remember correctly I'm sure that is what JC suggested. 

Instead of having a drone to give 3rd person perspectives, we could have a CGI vision mode that shows other constructs dependant on your sensors (you can only see what your sensors can detect). If the construct cannot be seen as a target, due to stealth or your radar being jammed, you cannot see it in 3rd person mode (even if you could see it by looking out of a window). Think of it as a cross between the function of an 3rd person camera and the aesthetics of scanning for anomalies/signatures in EVE Online.

You could also have skills related to it, such as showing more detailed information (size, distance, bearing, etc.) of a construct when you have a higher skill level in Signature Analysis, or giving targeting buffs against a selected hostile ship. This effectively gives tactical officers easier access to information, but it detaches them from thing that they might be unaware of. For instance, this CGI mode might not show guns firing or any asteroids (which could change depending on equipment quality and/or skill level), and won't show anything that isn't targetable. You could then have a dedicated recon ship that transmits sensor data to the other ships in the fleet, allowing them to use the CGI mode without needing a high quality sensor array, whilst giving the opponent the ability to severely blind the enemy by taking out said recon ship.

EDIT: Navigation/Helm officers could also use this system, but looking at objects on a larger scale (system map)

If you just want to play a game where you can have a load of advantages to your opponent without making you do extra work for it in-game, go write up a few minecraft mods and play that.

While we may not be able to fly and use 3rd person views all the time, I remember seeing a vid showing that you could switch the camera view to outside the ship by holding hotkey. Might have been one of the last Dev blogs not sure which.

I think adding third person to flight would pose an advantage for your team mates on the ground. You would have an massive overview of the fight and would be eyes in the sky and of course you have to take into account the size of your ship. The bigger the ship the further out your camera will be and more fov.

To be perfectly honest I don't know if third person will be a good thing or a bad thing until I see how gameplay works.

Unmanned unarmed drones piloted via terminal definitely a thumbs up. 

You could possibly have a combat indicator that puts you into first person mode and persists for 5 minutes after combat. Entering a tile under attack would put everyone into first person combat mode. 

Ships would have the same effect. 

Biggest issue with third person on ships is they tend to be tight spaces causing the camera to clip with walls.

Personally I think a good UI with a full true 3D model of your avatar or ship is all you need.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is NOT about player 3rd person, I didn't know how to put the title in a way that people understand it, and it looks like some didn't... So I repeat it, and I completely HATE 3rd person shooters, so don't think i'm trying to add something that allow me to peek around corners without exposing myself or whatever crap you can come with...

I'll add ship manouver to the title to be sure...

I would like to see something like how enterprise fly. Please note that this would be for much larger ships. 

Bridge does not have a window, but can look out via a camera system. 

Helm can have sensors to know distance from objects, starting at about 1km away (dependent on speed).