No Man's Sky gameplay vids - **NMS spoilers**

DaSchiz

I know this doesn't deal with Dual Universe but I am guessing that many on here are interested in NMS.

So who has watched game play vids posted before release or "leaked"?

One guy said took

only 30 hours to get to the center of the galaxy.

In a way it is funny and in a way it is tragic with the years of hype, waiting, and work put in for it to be spoiled before release. 

The whole hundreds of hours to get to the center of the universe and how hard it would be so you feel a sense of accomplishment and the mystery surrounding it ... all gone before release date and in just a couple days of someone playing the game on an early release copy.

So have you soaked up everything you can with this leaked info or are you purposely staying away from it?

**This is not a compare DU to NMS, or debate about the two, simply curious on people's reaction/thoughts about this happening to NMS before it is released.**

I know this doesn't deal with Dual Universe but I am guessing that many on here are interested in NMS.

One guy said took

In a way it is funny and in a way it is tragic with the years of hype, waiting, and work put in for it to be spoiled before release. 

The whole hundreds of hours to get to the center of the universe and how hard it would be so you feel a sense of accomplishment and the mystery surrounding it ... all gone before release date and in just a couple days of someone playing the game on an early release copy.

So have you soaked up everything you can with this leaked info or are you purposely staying away from it?

A guy also speed-run Dark Souls 2 in less than an hour. Does that make Dark Souls 2 less than an hour of gameplay?

This is not an NMS forum by the way and you clearly missed the point of NMS to begin with. It's about exploration. And the center of the galaxy is not the center of the universe. It's just the center of the galaxy.

A guy also speed-run Dark Souls 2 in less than an hour. Does that make Dark Souls 2 less than an hour of gameplay?

This is not an NMS forum by the way and you clearly missed the point of NMS to begin with. It's about exploration. And the center of the galaxy is not the center of the universe. It's just the center of the galaxy.

Whoa calm down lol.  No one said that time frame is total game play time.  I get NMS definitely.  it about playing in the sandbox, setting own goals, increasing relationship with other races, exploring more and more planets, gaining new skills/tech etc.  The game play is about the playing not like a story driven game. 

However, getting to the center of the galaxy was suppose to be this hard accomplishment that would take dedication and it is the one place in the universe where something special, or at least it has been hyped, is located.  Sean eve said some people may never make it.  I did type galaxy but I meant he made it to the center of the universe.

I am also completely aware this isn't a NMS forum (hense my first sentence) but being a similar game (sandbox, space sim) I would guess it is a topic people on here are interested in.  General Discussion is listed as the place for topics not listed specifically anywhere. If the mods want it deleted then they can of course. ;) 

Whoa calm down lol.  No one said that time frame is total game play time.  I get NMS definitely.  it about playing in the sandbox, setting own goals, increasing relationship with other races, exploring more and more planets, gaining new skills/tech etc.  The game play is about the playing not like a story driven game. 

However, getting to the center of the galaxy was suppose to be this hard accomplishment that would take dedication and it is the one place in the universe where something special, or at least it has been hyped, is located.  Sean eve said some people may never make it.  I did type galaxy but I meant he made it to the center of the universe.

I am also completely aware this isn't a NMS forum (hense my first sentence) but being a similar game (sandbox, space sim) I would guess it is a topic people on here are interested in.  General Discussion is listed as the place for topics not listed specifically anywhere. If the mods want it deleted then they can of course. ;)

Well, DUAL focuses on a totally different thing than NMS. Mainly, building, multiplayer and politics between palyers. NMS is hardly a multiplayer.

As for the time to reach the center, that is a whole beast on its own. The guy who did that in 30 hours, is a speed-runner. They pre-plan the game out and gather information for such a task to be seen through. The casual gamer, is not a speed-runner. Do not confuse those two things.

As for DUAL, I hardly believe most people will ever see all the discovered planets in the game. Most of those planets will be utilised as Shadow Worlds, used to produce ships or house them for larger factions. And if a faction doesn't have Shadow worlds or Shadow Colonies, then good luck with preventing Pearl Harbor in space. Unlike NMS, DUAL is going for the Game of SpaceThrones. So no, you won't find yourself with "30 hours of gameplay before finishing the game". It's an MMO, a sandbox MMO on top of that. It has NO end.

Quite frankly, I never cared for NMS. It was all hype hype hype and no actual evidence of the hype's existence. Unlike here in DUAL, where we actually know the game's development cycle started with the ACTUAL MMO aspect of it, with the server-tech development.

Calm down this isn't a compare or debate DU to NMS.  I am not saying anything about DU in this thread.

Just curious on people's thoughts about this happening with NMS before release after all the secrecy and hype for years.

Calm down this isn't a compare or debate DU to NMS.  I am not saying anything about DU in this thread.

Just curious on people's thoughts about this happening with NMS before release after all the secrecy and hype for years.

It's simple marketing really. Sony needed a "hype-game" to convince the console-peasants that PS4 could handle PC level gaming. Which it can't, of course. That's why the secrecy and all that. If the center of the universe of NMS was a giant middle-finger, I wouldn't be surprised :P

And I am calm :V I've haven't drunk coffee yet :P

I was a little disappointed when I heard how buggy it was really. I will still pick it up, just because I want to explore. I didn't buy in to any of the hype personally, but that is the one thing I am glad they got right.

That said, I can't believe a redditor spent $1300 for a leaked copy of NMS. Like damn man, couldn't wait two weeks?

I have seen the 2h leaked footage and I must say I am disappointed by NMS.

Comparing it to DU would be like to compare orange and apples.

Here is what I hate in NMS:

• No multiplayer gameplay
  • Punished by Police AI for harvesting/killing things on planet and in space.
  • Cartoony visual experience with a lot of fog as a general rule for handling level of details. (LOD)
  • Crappy space station design, with only one room and a trade terminal.
  • The whole thing have quintillion planets and lifeforms, but without anything to do on it beside "point and click" to scan/harvest and repeat.
  • You can "name" every lifeforms/planet you are the first to discover... but infact you are not the first to discover it since its crawling with "abandoned outpost" -> making true immersion an impossibility. Beside, no one will ever get to the same planet as you. and if this happen anyway, they will just leave and find another one to get naming rights for themselves.
  • Space combat looked like point and click ONLY, no room for emergent gameplay, you only get the one ship you can "upgrade", and its stuck with you.
  • Once you have it upgraded, you can head toward the center of the universe and enjoy the cinematic and you are done with the game.
  • Nothing to "build".
  • Price too high for a tamagochi simulator.

Perfect for a true casual player on console. But not for me.

On the other hand what I like on DU is what NMS is lacking:

• One unique multiplayer server allowing for MASSIVE multiplayer gameplay.
  • You can build anything, anywhere, and it stays for everyone to see and use.
  • Unlimited number of planet with territory control worth fighting for.
  • Player driven economy
  • Sandbox for emergent gameplay.

I bet NQ will add the functionality to "name" a planet if you are the first to discover it, or if you own >90% of it. It would not be a great deal for them.

I bet NQ will add the functionality to "name" a planet if you are the first to discover it, or if you own >90% of it. It would not be a great deal for them.

"That sounds interesting."

Name the Planet? Why not name the system?! I want to create the Sizzler System, with the planet "Twerkorea" it's main world.

"And next comes naming the Galaxy. What would that be Motorasia, perhaps?"

Problem with allowing players to name planets/solar systems - especially in an MMO - is you come across the abuse of said system. I would be all for it personally, but only if there was a report feature if you come across an inappropriate name. Even then, that would put more of a work load on the NQ staff. It'd be a neat feature, but I can settle for randomly generated names as well.

Problem with allowing players to name planets/solar systems - especially in an MMO - is you come across the abuse of said system. I would be all for it personally, but only if there was a report feature if you come across an inappropriate name. Even then, that would put more of a work load on the NQ staff. It'd be a neat feature, but I can settle for randomly generated names as well.

"Good point. That's why there's a community. They already have report features for posts and organisation names, no?"

"Good point. That's why there's a community. They already have report features for posts and organisation names, no?"

They do, which seems to already be a small handful for Nyzaltar. We have a very, very small community right now. When we start having players coming by the tens of thousands, I imagine it might become overwhelming. the only other option I see if they have an intelligent system in place that automatically prevents the use of inappropriate names. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any system that isn't easily worked around or just all around buggy.

I've watched 3 or more different people stream NMS - at least 10 hours of footage.

1: Daymeeuhn has an incomplete build - there is a significant update for the 1st day patch.

2: Daymeeuhn used the free fuel he found on the space stations to reach the center of the galaxy as quickly as he did. That is most likely an exploit rather than intended gameplay.

3: Many of the bugs Daymeeuhn initially reported were due to having an incomplete build and/or to his ineptitude playing the game. Other people playing the game (like keng01, who bought his copy from Wal-Mart rather than from ebay) didn't have the same bugs and Daymeeuhn recanted some of his bugs after reaching the center and paying more attention to how the game was intended to be played.

4: Daymeeuhn assumes that his experience is definitive gameplay - that because he reached the center of the galaxy and doesn't see evidence of a center of the universe, that there is no center of the universe to be reached. But, we still have that update that's added weeks worth of development, even on top of the Wal-Mart build.

5. To me, Daymeeuhn's gameplay experience -and his conclusions about the game- are unreliable. I prefer the vids from kengi01 and SaberJudo.

6: All of it looks fun though. Whatever is at the center wasn't necessarily the primary draw for me in any case. What inspires me is learning alien languages while exploring and cataloging the creatures found on strange new worlds - to boldly go where no person has gone before.

7: Reaching the center of the galaxy quickly just makes it easier to work towards finding your friends and coordinating multiplay.

Naming text boxes can be done in a way to prevent certain types of names, by blocking them. Or just by scrambling the letters when you enter one of the blacklist words into the box. 

That doesn't bother me. If I run across names I don't like, there are 100s of millions of other stars and billions and billions of other planets I can explore.

Easy enough to ignore the names I don't like.

They do, which seems to already be a small handful for Nyzaltar. We have a very, very small community right now. When we start having players coming by the tens of thousands, I imagine it might become overwhelming. the only other option I see if they have an intelligent system in place that automatically prevents the use of inappropriate names. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any system that isn't easily worked around or just all around buggy.

Nothing can prevent me from naming my character's first name Ben and last name Dover. And it's not my problem if people say that name fast :P .

One guy said took

**This is not a compare DU to NMS, or debate about the two, simply curious on people's reaction/thoughts about this happening to NMS before it is released.**

Literally the exact same thing happened with GTA:V, Fallout 4 and every other AAA game that garnered a huge popularity upon release had their plots speed runned through on the first day, NMS isn't an exception because it was possible to buy the game earlier than the game officially launched.  

TBH i'm actually happy this guy did what he did, it means that most of the hype can be set aside and the first "Breaking the Ice" of NMS truly took place without thousands of people raging for whatever reason they might have had a problem with NMS. 

Nothing can prevent me from naming my character's first name Ben and last name Dover. And it's not my problem if people say that name fast :P .

"You were rightly called a cunning linguistic."

Predefined blacklists are a common thing these days ;)