Not so sure about everyone starting in the same place.

Khaymann

I have faith that JC and other devs who can write an expansion/vast game like this won't allow it to be impossible to leave the starter planet.

With that said anyone want to bunk up together if it gets crowded?  :unsure:

I don't think it will take all that long to get to another planet. Maybe a week or 2. but it is still a bit worrying.

If they say it will take weeks to months, then it will probably take this much time. The devs know their game the best, at least for now.

And regarding planet size and what you see in the gameplay videos, it is still in development and as far as i can say, that what you see in the videos is a testing environment and doesn't represent the starting system or the starting planet. (if it would, i would be disappointed) Maybe in the further ahead the planet generator and the servers will support planets that are 1000km in diameter, but till alpha it has no point to make assumptions about if the starter planet is large enough, because no one of us has seen the actual gameworld, only a (imo) testing environment.

I don't think it will take all that long to get to another planet. Maybe a week or 2. but it is still a bit worrying.

"Ah... The competition will be rife. I seem to hope against hope that everyone will get along, just long enough for us to travel to another planet. Who knows? Putting all the players in approximately the same place will be a good chance for last-minute pacts and alliances."

If they say it will take weeks to months, then it will probably take this much time. The devs know their game the best, at least for now.

And regarding planet size and what you see in the gameplay videos, it is still in development and as far as i can say, that what you see in the videos is a testing environment and doesn't represent the starting system or the starting planet. (if it would, i would be disappointed) Maybe in the further ahead the planet generator and the servers will support planets that are 1000km in diameter, but till alpha it has no point to make assumptions about if the starter planet is large enough, because no one of us has seen the actual gameworld, only a (imo) testing environment.

This may be a problem if the starting planet only has a radius of 30KM

This is NOT and assumption merely an observation of data that has been collected from the information provided to us. I do NOT claim any of this to be fact nor what will happen.

Tbh i dont mind it taking a bit of time to leave the starting planet it shouldnt be an easy t\ask in the first place imo, it helps people possibly come together and work together to achieve goals quicker however i gotta say the idea of starting the game with thousands of people at the same time would be incredible to witness and just see everyone running off in a random direction would be kinda cool.

1) 30km was something that was the lower limit for planets, normaly they go for 30-100km radius, and the "starter-planet" will most likely be one of the bigger sized ones. What are you basing this on? Would love to read it.

sry, dont remember exactly where they said it and got no time to look for it, but they said they aim for roughly that radius as general size of planets.

With your (baseless) assumption of 60% water-surface that makes ~32k km² landmass for a planet with an 80km radius.  My "baseless" "assumption" (you should never assume it just makes and ass of you and me) is a very ruff estimate based off of photos and videos as said in my first sentence of the OP.

its not an assessment or insult, its just a fact. The assumption that its 60% water is baseless and i wrote it so others don't think of it as fact.

Don't be one of the people who are offended if someone clarifies a statement. Especially if it doesn't demeans ur post and just corrects it.

sry, dont remember exactly where they said it and got no time to look for it, but they said they aim for roughly that radius as general size of planets.

I believe the FAQ on the main website has this info. 

So idk if this helps but reading all the posts i had an idea that i think would be an interesting way to address the starting planet issue..

might not but it works in my mind. 

instead of a starting planet, have starting moons, the distance to travel between them would be much easier than crossing a solar system, the dev's could possibly add moons as needed...

and make the planet the moons orbit a giant safe zone for trade and experimentation. 

This may be a problem if the starting planet only has a radius of 30KM

Here, you can read:

Tiles are about 1km large and for a 30km radius planet, it basically looks like this:

planete_hexagones_small.jpg

So, crossing that with the teaser video between 0:05 and 0:07

You can see the player character is quite little. I have no doubt 30km would be enough for a starting planet.

sry, dont remember exactly where they said it and got no time to look for it, but they said they aim for roughly that radius as general size of planets.  I found it here

How big is the Dual Universe?

Planets may range from a few hundred to thousands of kilometer in radius

its not an assessment or insult, its just a fact. The assumption that its 60% water is baseless and i wrote it so others don't think of it as fact.

Don't be one of the people who are offended if someone clarifies a statement. Especially if it doesn't demeans ur post and just corrects it.

No worries man, I do not mind being corrected what so ever. I just don't like to be told I'm making assumptions when I am just going off of what I have seen. Most of the planets we have seen are defiantly more than 50% water.

planete_hexagones_small.jpg  space.jpg

I meant this as a joke (you should never assume it just makes and ass of you and me) just forgot to put  :P at the end. It is an old saying I've heard for years.

I am more afraid of everybody starting a war without even reaching space and making it almost impossible to reach stars,but hey everything could happen in this game.

"Forge alliances. Secure yourself or... you could just wait till a few months after the game has been released. It's up to you."

Worst case scenarios we get stuck on the planet by a supperior run player organisation

"Terrifying... but that's the worst case scenario. No organisation can do that and enjoy a peace of mind, or of sovereignty."

Starting in the same place makes perfect sense lore wise and in many other ways. Seeing as we all come off from the first Arkship to land n all...

This is very true, but it was also said there were thousands of arkships.

Quoted from BACKSTORY:

Basically: you are one of the survivors who embarked on one of the thousands of arkships

Quoted from BACKSTORY:

Basically: you are one of the survivors who embarked on one of the thousands of arkships

"They didn't say any of the others survived..."

Very true, but it would be a good immersive gameplay element if they did. once every so often a new ark shows up based on player count and how crowded the "Safe Zone" is.

Very true, but it would be a good immersive gameplay element if they did. once every so often a new ark shows up based on player count and how crowded the "Safe Zone" is.

"Imagine an Arkship crashing onto an organisation base...SkyFall..."

Quoted from BACKSTORY:

yes, thats the reason for opening up new starter areas if the old ones get crowded or mined out, its not meant to have several starter planets at the same time.

even if they all would have survived, they would be scattered across the entire galaxy. Some of them maybe already on their way to another galaxy, i mean at game begin the novark travelled already for almost 10k years and the Novark was one of the last/the last arkship that had left earth. Even with sub-light engines is that a enormous distance, which makes is unlikely to find other arkships in relatively near proximity.

But i doubt that all arkships has managed it to survive.

And i also have doubts on the amount of "thousands" of arkships, it would probably depend on the size on the arkships and i have done a little math on the basis of the gameplay videos. I have estimated the in game Novark as roughly 2km in length on an in game alioth of 100km in diameter (maybe i was a bit too generous), now we sclae it up to roughly earth size, which means 12.000km in diameter or 120 times the in game size. This means we have an Ark that is 240km in length, this monster would be large enough to evacuate the entire earth and i seriously doubt that we would even able to build two of them, besides of the fact that we would only need one.

So i chose to go a much more reasonable way and put the measures for the Novark at 2km x 2km x 8km peak measures and a rough total volume of 8km³. I estimated 4km³ for the structural parts and that what is necessary to fly the ship, which leaves us with another 4km³ for payload, infrasturcture(hallways, wiring and such) and passengers. I estimated that the hibernacles, necessary systems to operate them and personal storage takes around 4m³ per person, which means we can fit 250 million passengers in only 1km³. Now we take another 1km³ and put in what is needed for a emergency crew of 1000 men to operate over an unlimited amount of time (for the case that something should go horribly wrong and that the AI can't handle it on its own.) hydroponics, crew quarters, life support and such. Now we take another 1km³ for infrastucture and the last 1km³ for cargo (seeds, gen material from earth fauna, complex machinery, data storage, some raw material, basically everything what could be needed for a new beginning on a still unknown world)

Tada there you have a realistic Arkship (sorry i know it isn't lore conform, but the vision of the devs was a bit too optimistic for my taste and i missed some failsafes, i know humanity is dumb, i include myself, but normally we consider failure at least as a thing and try actively to prevent it. Yeah i know the lore is there as reasoning for the game mechanics please don't kill me, but a bit more realism can't hurt.) and you only need 40 of them to evacuate 10 billion humans. Of course that are the specifications for the Novark, it is probable that there were many, more primitive and smaller Arks before it, but even with my most optimistic estimations i come only to a maximum of around 300 arks.

So sorry for that i went a bit overboarding here, but that was something i wanted to talk about for a while. Have a nice day :D