Material refinement and Component manufacturing

Just a quick question, forgive me if I missed a post somewhere that explained this.

Has anything been revealed about the mechanics for refining materials and crafting components? Will this all be done on the fly in your inventory or will we have the opportunity to construct production chains/factory's for this?

I can see the benefits of inventory crafting, but i have always enjoyed setting up factory's and figuring out the logistics/supply chains/efficiency's etc.

From what can be seen from the videos one can assume it's gonna be pretty standard for this type of game/genre, id est; both maybe. It is a simple and common enough element in this genre that it is to be expected.

From if seen in the dev blogs your correct, most crafting is done in inventory (I rewatched the April dev blog after posting last night).

This raises the question then of wether building a home actually serves a functional purpose other then for storage, to show off artistic skills/taste and a trade console.

It would be a shame to have the ability to create an amazing building but have no reason to be there...

49 minutes ago, Ezghoul said:

From if seen in the dev blogs your correct, most crafting is done in inventory (I rewatched the April dev blog after posting last night).

This raises the question then of wether building a home actually serves a functional purpose other then for storage, to show off artistic skills/taste and a trade console.

It would be a shame to have the ability to create an amazing building but have no reason to be there...

They have indicated that there will be both. You can do some basic crafting/refining in your inventory but in order to do anything larger than a few basic elements, you will need to construct refineries and more advanced production chains. To build anything larger than basic things you will probably need a fairly large production set up. 

On 8/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, Ezghoul said:

Thanks for the info @Lord_Void. Do you by any chance have a reference? I would like to read/hear what they have had to say about it.

Your question gets jumped around several times in the DU Explorers Interview last year (https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive:DU_Explorers_Interview_(Sep_17,_2016)).  From briefly reading through the relevant sections (i searched for the word "build"), it sounds like the plan is to definitely have manufacturing elements/facilities possible, which likely means refining to be able to create an assembly line.  He also talks about power generation and how you will need to generate power on-site to build all these things.

So in theory you would need your own space to create this assembly line or factory, as well as a nuclear power planet or a solar farm maybe?  Check it out, lots of info hidden in the wiki's archive (https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive)

Hi Ezghoul,

I didn't read very much official news about refining ressources, but you can see in this video some refining and crafting from the inventory (at 2min 0s) :

Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - April 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video  (Thx to Francis for the summary)

We know we will have big machinery like a foundry, so you can imagine why.

6 hours ago, Elildar said:

Hi Ezghoul,

I didn't read very much official news about refining ressources, but you can see in this video some refining and crafting from the inventory (at 2min 0s) :

Dual Universe DevDiary Updates - April 2017 | Pre-Alpha Video  (Thx to Francis for the summary)

We know we will have big machinery like a foundry, so you can imagine why.

Elidar, what is that foundry link it didnt do anything for me.