Two words space elevator

friendlytyrant03

Well the thin is I am thinking economically than military and defense wise I mean if it was going up to military installation then yes we need defenses. But if it's going to some interplanetary parking lot then it won't be necessary.

You clearly underestimate the barbarity of some groups. Just look at my pact proposal and you will see there are people who love the destruction of other peoples hard work... a space elevator would be a very tempting target.

You clearly underestimate the barbarity of some groups. Just look at my pact proposal and you will see there are people who love the destruction of other peoples hard work... a space elevator would be a very tempting target.

"Indeed. These groups will be part of Dual Universe whether we like it or not and in the long run they may prove to be disliked but, essential."

You clearly don't understand how the logistics business works :V Nobody is gonna waste fuel, ordnance and/or people's time to demolish a planet "just cause". If someone irritates the wrong people, then those people will divert resources to flatten said someone's crib.

Except if you think the U.S. dropped two atom bombs over in Japan because they were barbarians and not because they wanted to end a war really quickly, really suddenly. Same logic applies here.

And also, hire some guards if you plan on building industry, or roll with a faction that can provide you with a certain market to sell and adequate protection against trolls, if you don't wanna bother with PvP and want to focus on building an industry, or as I see it, common sense.

You clearly don't understand how the logistics business works :V Nobody is gonna waste fuel, ordnance and/or people's time to demolish a planet "just cause". If someone irritates the wrong people, then those people will divert resources to flatten said someone's crib.

Except if you think the U.S. dropped two atom bombs over in Japan because they were barbarians and not because they wanted to end a war really quickly, really suddenly. Same logic applies here.

And also, hire some guards if you plan on building industry, or roll with a faction that can provide you with a certain market to sell and adequate protection against trolls, if you don't wanna bother with PvP and want to focus on building an industry, or as I see it, common sense.

"I think some people are like that. Band of Brothers did that often..."

Which part? :P Didn't BoB got rekt? :P

"Yes, they did, by Goonswarm. Then, Goonswarm started doing similar things. When Goonswarm's time is up, I fear someone else will pick up the trade."

"Yes, they did, by Goonswarm. Then, Goonswarm started doing similar things. When Goonswarm's time is up, I fear someone else will pick up the trade."

Well, here's the difference though. In EVE, it was only space combat, not ground combat as well. It's the old Planetside 2 motto "Jets don't capture bases, infantry does". Plus, in EVE, you had free-warp, in DUAL, you ain't  getting that. Stargates will be tied to a faction's network of said Stargates. You wanna go somewhere and "troll", you need to go system by system, fuel unit by fuel unit there. In fact, it's like in real world. Military protects the borders, internal traading goes well. If yoou were to piss off so many people in DUAL, you wouldn't have the same level of success as GoonSwarm had. Nobody wil ltrade with you if they knew you could wreck their ship "just cause" and you would slowly wither and find yourself with a fleet with no fuel, an organisation with no money and an easy prey for the other guys. THAT is the quintessential difference that makes DUAL stand out from EVE.

• 2 weeks later...

That could be interesting. I don't think geosynchronous orbit would be an issue. I agree that a no fly-zone might be a requirement, but how would that be enforced. I think it would be best on starting planets so that noobs could take advantage of it. 

That could be interesting. I don't think geosynchronous orbit would be an issue. I agree that a no fly-zone might be a requirement, but how would that be enforced. I think it would be best on starting planets so that noobs could take advantage of it. 

"Geo-stationary orbit might be the only orbit for a while... They can add other forms of geo-synchronous orbits later. Right now, geo-stationary satellites would be best at acting as Early Warning Systems for ground units."

• 1 month later...

Not really. You can still build one but it won't be fully connected. You could still utilize one to shorten transport ways or to lift a larger load as far as possible, then take it from there instead of having to go to the actual surface or below it all the time.

I've got a potential alternative: a space slingshot. If there was a block type that propelled vehicles in a specific direction (like a gravity generator, powerful magnets, or a boost pad from mario kart) a player could attach them in-series to make a sort-of ramp into space that would allow ships withou atmospherc capabilities to get into space using a structure's power grid instead of it's own.

Just think of it like a cannon for launching ships into space.

A space elevator would be worth it if the fuel needed to lift cargo from the ground to orbit cost more than running the elevator.  It would also be worth it if operating smaller, atmosphere-capable ships was more expensive because atmospheric control surface requirements result in small cargo spaces.  Maybe even the best cargo shuttle can only carry 1 ton of cargo for every 6 tons of ship.  It comes down to game physics and economics.  

But it'd be a thing of beauty.  

BoB was around for a really long time though...you gotta give nods to a corp that is so large it is accused of buying off Devs for an advantage   :)

Not buying off ... there were devs or a dev IN BoB ... and gave BoB BPO's through abusing the dev's power. I think they were T2 BPO's.

So it isn't like BoB on it's own grew so big that it had that power, it was a dev abusing his/her/their power.  Not like a mega corporation growing and buying off the government but more like the government abusing its power for personal benefit  ....  just like the real world. hahaha

After the Space Elevator is built, the next step is to construct a Torus around the planet. We could use the Elevator/Torus as the capital city, having the base of the elevator at the Arkship. Whilst the elevator is under construction, we could use the interior as a massive tower block, full of factories and apartments. Also, the Elevator is useful as it means you do not need ships with hybrid engines to get cargo off/on the planet.

Any Alpha testers can start the planning and construction, then, once the server is wiped for Beta, we will have learned some lessons and have more manpower. Do this again when the game goes to release and we should have a pretty good plan for building it.

I think a octagonal shape for the tower would be easier to do as circles using blocks can look a bit iffy and squares don't look cool.

Anyway, those are my thoughts

• 1 month later...

I am an avid minecrafter and we solved this issue already.. a single pillar of dirt and ladders.
Just one really long boring trip with your finger on a button for 10mins or 10 hours(depends on climbing rate), and you are building in space.
Assuming the builders just don't nerd pole up.