Two words space elevator

friendlytyrant03

What I understand is: You will be able to construct at any altitude, but, above 1km, it wont be in a zone you can "own" (with a ground based TCU)

I haven't found any news about space based TCU yet.

It would be neat if there was a gap between where a space TCU started and ground one ended, so that you would have to make part of the elevators trip ballistic.  (i know this is wrong for how a space elevator should work, but if there is a gap i'd rather have it work this way than be constantly repairing it : ) 

It would be neat if there was a gap between where a space TCU started and ground one ended, so that you would have to make part of the elevators trip ballistic.  (i know this is wrong for how a space elevator should work, but if there is a gap i'd rather have it work this way than be constantly repairing it : ) 

at that point might as well build a mass driver and have the ships handle landing on their own

If it really gets to be that big a problem I'm sure we could build "traffic control" towers to "dissuade" attacking ships and provide a light rain of material for fixing things. :)   The only real problem we will face, aside from the materials, is in how to get the car up in an efficient manner.  I do have a few ideas, but I will have to wait until I see what type of joint elements we get.  I don't think the elevator will be all that quick but it may be the easiest at first and a tourist attraction later.

If it really gets to be that big a problem I'm sure we could build "traffic control" towers to "dissuade" attacking ships and provide a light rain of material for fixing things. :)   The only real problem we will face, aside from the materials, is in how to get the car up in an efficient manner.  I do have a few ideas, but I will have to wait until I see what type of joint elements we get.  I don't think the elevator will be all that quick but it may be the easiest at first and a tourist attraction later.

um it would be basically a bullet train traveling upwards so 320+ km/h so they are fast and its far cheaper to use them than a rocket or mass driver simply because you can recapture energy and constantly reuse parts as well as other things like using them as solar lines for space based solar power

just a note that speed is the slow speed and they have gotten faster than 550 km/h

um it would be basically a bullet train traveling upwards so 320+ km/h so they are fast and its far cheaper to use them than a rocket or mass driver simply because you can recapture energy and constantly reuse parts as well as other things like using them as solar lines for space based solar power

just a note that speed is the slow speed and they have gotten faster than 550 km/h

are you talking about the elevator?  I don't know what you have in mind for a mechanism to get it up, but I imagine it would have to be a bit complex.  I'm talking implementation here, not a theory of how it might work IRL.

are you talking about the elevator?  I don't know what you have in mind for a mechanism to get it up, but I imagine it would have to be a bit complex.  I'm talking implementation here, not a theory of how it might work IRL.

The easiest way in game (and irl to be honest) would make it more like a train that goes to space instead of an actual elevator. most scifi elevators also use a similar concept instead of how a traditonal elevator works

The easiest way in game (and irl to be honest) would make it more like a train that goes to space instead of an actual elevator. most scifi elevators also use a similar concept instead of how a traditonal elevator works

Of course, however I have been thinking about how to get the train to move up and down the cable or whatever you call it.  I have heard that there will not be wheels and there has been talk in the devblogs about being able to make large multi legged walkers and things, which is influencing how I envision the propulsion system of the elevator.  Of course you could just put thrusters on the bottom, but that defeats the purpose of being able to go to space before such things are available.  I've been thinking along the lines of cogs or ratchets, at least initially.  Like I said, we shall have to wait and see what tools are made available.

Of course, however I have been thinking about how to get the train to move up and down the cable or whatever you call it.  I have heard that there will not be wheels and there has been talk in the devblogs about being able to make large multi legged walkers and things, which is influencing how I envision the propulsion system of the elevator.  Of course you could just put thrusters on the bottom, but that defeats the purpose of being able to go to space before such things are available.  I've been thinking along the lines of cogs or ratchets, at least initially.  Like I said, we shall have to wait and see what tools are made available.

You don't need wheels just a way fo make things go on a set path (think the hover trains in star wars) hopfully using the antigrav tech

What I was thinking was building it like how shadowlord said it (a vertical bullet train) where there is a carrage or climber attached to a vertical "rail" the it uses rocket engines to propel it upwards then hovercraft repulsers keep the climber from colliding with the Rails.

PS: happy Olympics. USA!

Looking forward to this, but I do share other's concern that it might be a waste of resources unless built in an area which makes it invulnerable. If structural Integrity is a thing, then a few well place shots will cause that tower to come crumbling down :(. Of course if it can be built in a safe area then i'd like to help if i can.

You don't need wheels just a way fo make things go on a set path (think the hover trains in star wars) hopfully using the antigrav tech

"If it's in a tube, then it's easy to implement the hover aspect. However, if we're thinking a "point A to point B; back and forth; interval of wait;" without a placed guide/container, it's no longer a space elevator. One thing the developers didn't mention is if the hover engines are all of a fixed force. If not, we may be able to increment the force of the engines bit by bit and activate more hover engines on the elevator per distance covered. Otherwise, well, where there's a will there's a way."

"If it's in a tube, then it's easy to implement the hover aspect. However, if we're thinking a "point A to point B; back and forth; interval of wait;" without a placed guide/container, it's no longer a space elevator. One thing the developers didn't mention is if the hover engines are all of a fixed force. If not, we may be able to increment the force of the engines bit by bit and activate more hover engines on the elevator per distance covered. Otherwise, well, where there's a will there's a way."

I was talking more of a very large tube that holds all the trains and tracks and each of those can have a train so you could look out the window and see like 3 or more other trains moving up and down as well but again it depends on how things work in game

G00M2010-12-28-11h37m18s125.png.jpg

I like the internal one because it allows for a little bit of protection from attacks and its easy to mount things on the outside like small drone hangers or guns to stop people from attacking or at least hold them off until better armed forces can arrive.

I like the idea and there was a thread from a while ago on it, which is here

But at the same time as stated before, it all depends on whether they do or do not limit the height at which you can build to. I mean, if you can build that high, why not? Provides ease of access, etc.
At the same time, it would be extremely vulnerable once outside the 1KM high ceiling of the territory sector. So thats something you have to think about. 

I like the idea and there was a thread from a while ago on it, which is here

But at the same time as stated before, it all depends on whether they do or do not limit the height at which you can build to. I mean, if you can build that high, why not? Provides ease of access, etc.

At the same time, it would be extremely vulnerable once outside the 1KM high ceiling of the territory sector. So thats something you have to think about. 

Oh hey its my thread :D

Like I said if its vulnerable turn it into a military type fortress so its not worth attacking and attack any flying craft that come within a certan distance of it

I wonder if one couldn't just run a pipe up for the materials.  That might be cheaty though, considering how it's supposed to be hard and all.

Not only 'cheaty' but extremely fragile I'm sure :P

"A heavily fortified space elevator would be awe-striking but a waste. What if we could negotiate with Novaquark to turn it into an indestructible Wonder when we're done? If they don't agree, however, we just have to make it indestructible ourselves."