Two words space elevator

friendlytyrant03

One Word : Why?

Don't get me wrong, it's a crazy engineering achievement to pull such a design off, especially if you issue a "no flying vehicles in atmosphere" law  and link the elevator to a spaceport, but I mean... why? :P

That would be quite epic. have one going from the Ark to a station in orbit above the ark would be amazing. We should make this a thing!

"In my opinion, it's too much of a risk. Anything could happen, and I mean anything.  While it will do for a great landmark, it's going to take more than one organisation to keep it fuelled, maintained and standing. That brings another question, is maintenance going to be a thing in Dual Universe? Engines have to be replaced due to wear and tear. I hope this is somehow implemented in the final release version."

"In my opinion, it's too much of a risk. Anything could happen, and I mean anything.  While it will do for a great landmark, it's going to take more than one organisation to keep it fuelled, maintained and standing. That brings another question, is maintenance going to be a thing in Dual Universe? Engines have to be replaced due to wear and tear. I hope this is somehow implemented in the final release version."

Perhaps but it would be fun to build.

Well, building community structures such as public trade hubs, or space elevators that lead to public trade hubs, benefits everyone simply because it's a public trade hub. No one has to fight to get into it; if you wanna sell your products, all you need to do is rent a stall, hopefully at a cheap price. Maybe the stalls closer to the point where people get off the Space Elevator are more expensive, on account of more people seeing your products and therefore more people buying them. The people who build the elevator get tax revenue, the people who open shops in the resulting trade hub get many customers, and the people using the space elevator get easy access to goods.

The problem is convincing others in the community that it's a good idea. Personally, I'd fund such a project. But others, I'm not so sure. Though why they wouldn't is beyond me. Perhaps they think pirates would blow it up. They could, yes, but it'd be much more sensible to just let it sit there and lay waste to the cargo haulers that pass through the area. So, it even benefits pirates, to an extent, the boundary of which is measured by how many patrols would be available to remove pirates from some areas

Actually this is a good idea.  If I can get a group of people to help me I would be happy to take this on at the beginning.  Obviously this kind of structure would require some fairly regular upkeep and probably a group dedicated to protecting it from the types that just like to see pretty explosions and the resulting rivers of tears.  If some established group would be willing to help initiate this project I would be happy to join forces with them.

Actually this is a good idea.  If I can get a group of people to help me I would be happy to take this on at the beginning.  Obviously this kind of structure would require some fairly regular upkeep and probably a group dedicated to protecting it from the types that just like to see pretty explosions and the resulting rivers of tears.  If some established group would be willing to help initiate this project I would be happy to join forces with them.

"Hmm, while I do not want to jump on a project with no clear set out plan, if you're more specific on how you envision this project of yours, the construction arm (See Aether structure for more information) of the Aether might be more disposed to help you out (perhaps even for free)."

I hate to be a "fun" breaker but I remember in one of the devblogs somewhere about there being a build height limit on planets. Meaning that this would not exactly work. Now I could be wrong - so if someone wants to double check or even better yet, see if NQ will place his two cents in on if there is a limit or not. 

They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

But the griefers came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. The griefers said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

So the griefers scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel[c]—because there the griefers confused the language of the whole world. From there the griefers scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

Or you probably could replace griefers with COPS,  ;)

I hate to be a "fun" breaker but I remember in one of the devblogs somewhere about there being a build height limit on planets. Meaning that this would not exactly work. Now I could be wrong - so if someone wants to double check or even better yet, see if NQ will place his two cents in on if there is a limit or not. 

I looked over the Devblog concerning builders and tools, no sign of a height limit. I do now that territory claims only extend to 1km above the surface of the planet, but you can still build above that area. 

We aren't here to diss anyone. 

I do believe there will also be space territory claims, so perhaps it would be possible to pop one of those up at the 1001m mark.  However, if indeed this is a priority project that is started ASAP on launch by a large(ish) group of like minded folks we should be able to get fairly high and secure before the unsavory types get their hands on the means to try any shenanigans.  Also, if done correctly and with enough support this might indeed be the first way to space.  I do have several ideas as to how it all will work and I believe I read somewhere that at least initially the voxel constructs will not have structural integrity problems.  If this is the case the main obstacle I see is simply gathering the necessary materials.  Also for any of you unsavory types who might be cackling with glee in anticipation of destructing this fine endeavor, I would remind you that should you not misbehave in the direction of this marvelous project you will be afforded the same easy and inexpensive access to the heavens as the rest, and the rest will make juicy targets up there.

"You just had to pick that passage, didn't you? The tower of Babel...I hope not, Confusion erupted before the tower was completed and men scattered. That's not going to be good for Dual Universe. Friendlytyrant, I advise you to abandon this reckless venture!"

This is the only reference I could find

source

Territory tiles, or simply “tiles”, extend from 1km above the ground to the center of the planet, partitioning the sphere completely. They are initially neutral but they can be claimed by a player or an organization by setting up a Territory Unit anywhere inside the tile

What I understand is: You will be able to construct at any altitude, but, above 1km, it wont be in a zone you can "own" (with a ground based TCU)

I haven't found any news about space based TCU yet.

You know building a space elevator is now going to be my number one goal one the game is out jut to say I built it if shadowlord dosen't mind we could build it under the name of silverlight industries

We already have at least one planned