Neza

Hi everyone,

another question from a newbie:

The ship editor in Dual Universe is by far the most capable I have seen in any game and it offers nearly unlimited possibilities in terms of creativity (that´s the very thing that convinced me to support this game).

Now my question: Will we players be able to try and experiment with blueprints without imminent resources consumption?

What I have in mind is a creative mode for creation of blueprints so that resources are only required if I actually want to build the blueprint and turn it into a flyable ship.

The alternative would be days of resources gathering before you can even properly try out the ship editor (Most people I know would not be in for that because of the limited free time a working person has).

In my book, this would work out nicely for large projects that require a lot of resources (and hence players) to complete:

You could simply post a picture of the blueprint on e.g. the forum of you guild as a preview of what is being constructed.

Additionally, this would aid the construction process assuming that everybody helping with the construction can see the blueprint and hence the shape of the final construct.

Best regards,

Neza

English (Translator used)

Hello _Neza_,
First time Welcome to the forum / game.

A very good question, as far as I know, there is a kind of test room where you can try out your designs, but I do not know if I have to own all the materials. I am also very interested in it, because it affects the playing style considerably! If you know more please report (also NQ).

German (orginal)

Hallo _Neza_,

ersteinmal Herzlich Willkommen im Forum/Spiel.

Eine sehr gute Frage, meines Wissens soll da eine art Testraum sein, in dem man seine Konstruktionen ausprobieren kann, aber ob man dazu schon alle Materialien besitzen muß ist mir nicht bekannt (ich schon viel gelesen). Auch mich interresiert das dringend, denn es beeinflusst die Spielweise erheblich! Wer mehr weiß bitte melden (auch NQ).

mfG Die Waldfee

There are already a lot of other threads regarding thisthe topic here in this subforum.

Basic summary:

They plan on implementing smth like that

No infos on resource need

And players voiced their concern there too. 

Hello Lethys,
Your comments are always refreshing (but this is not an ice water contest).

Yes, it dos not matter when you construct a golden swimming pool, which is first made of wood, which also has low fly properties.

For spaceships or airplanes, with correct physics, something is more complicated!
And the organizations who want to build such a thing will surely first carry out a simulation before the whole raw materials are used.

German (orginal)

Hallo Lethys,

deine Komentare sind immer erfrischend (aber das ist kein Eiswasserwettbewerb).

Ja, es ist funktionstechnisch unerheblich wenn man einen goldenens Schwimmbecken erst mal aus Holz konstruiert, das hat auch geringe Flugeigenschaften.

Bei Raumschiffen oder Flugzeugen, ist bei korrekter Physik, dass etwas komplizierter!

Und die Organisationen, die so etwas bauen möchten, wollen mit Sicherheit es erstmal eine Simulation durchführen, bevor die ganzen Rohstoffen beschaft werden.

mfG Die Waldfee

I don't find the threads atm, oh well. 

Thing is: I don't want zombie players standing all over the place, not interacting with anyone because they build a ship in some kind of VR room.

That's just immersion breaking and not fun to watch. But I have faith that nq will come up with a good solution which makes builders happy. 

Hello Lethys,
Yes your objection I can understand. It would actually look stupid if players are statues if they just construct.

German (orginal)

Hallo Lethys,

ja deinen Einwand kann ich verstehen. Es würde tatsächlich doof aussehen wenn Spieler die gerade konstruieren wie Statuen rumstehen würden.

mfG Die Waldfee

I am not really in favor of a free building vr mode. 

It's not that I want to deprive someone the pleasure of being creative, I just feel that creating a good construct should happen in the game world. Not in some virtual simulation where there is 0 risk in trying out a build. 

Practically this means a person could create blueprints without any investment. 

But I'm not designing this game, NQ is.

So who knows how such a vr mode might work. 

Many thanks for your feedback!

I forgot to mention that having a "goal" in form of a blueprint you want to turn into a flyable ship would be something to keep people motivated. 

Weeks of gathering resources (which is nothing else than farming) to achieve that defined goal works out nicely.

But doing the same just to test some ideas? I´m not sure about that.

What if you get killed and your resources stolen before even coming that far?

What Falstaf mentioned:

<< Practically this means a person could create blueprints without any investment. <<

There could be implemented some kind of fixed cost for creation of a i) big, ii) medium or iii) small blueprint. :)

But still, you can do little with said blueprint, if you don´t turn it into a ship.

So it´s not like you actually get something for free.

Best regards,

Neza

10 minutes ago, _Neza_ said:

Many thanks for your feedback!

I forgot to mention that having a "goal" in form of a blueprint you want to turn into a flyable ship would be something to keep people motivated. 

Weeks of gathering resources (which is nothing else than farming) to achieve that defined goal works out nicely.

But doing the same just to test some ideas? I´m not sure about that.

What if you get killed and your resources stolen before even coming that far?

What Falstaf mentioned:

<< Practically this means a person could create blueprints without any investment. <<

There could be implemented some kind of fixed cost for creation of a i) big, ii) medium or iii) small blueprint. :)

But still, you can do little with said blueprint, if you don´t turn it into a ship.

So it´s not like you actually get something for free.

Best regards,

Neza

"

I wish you a wonderful day, _Neza_.

Your ideas are similar to the ideas expressed in this thread here (Creative Mode - Out of Game - Multiplayer for Construct Blueprint/Subassembly Creation) that I suppose @Lethys  was referring to above. 

Cheers.

"

Another approach would to be implementing a wireframe blueprint mode. It would show in the DU world as if your building a ship but you would only be using place holders/empty blocks. 

I think this may be a more useful implementation when working as a team anyway. The team foreman could layout placeholders or "guide" blocks as needed to help direct the rest of the people building.

Another benefit is you wouldn't require the skills to place or use specific blocks (if that's a thing) to guide your crew. 

In my opinion it would be a mistake to split the community of builders off into a creative/offline mode.

Hello Ezghoul,
As stated earlier, if physical forces such as gravity, aerodynamics, or simply mass do not play a role, a construction network would suffice. But designers are usually no locksmiths or electricians but engineers (means, they do not build). And you have to reckon and take into account dynamic dynamics. Anyone who simply believes to be able to design an aircraft that obeys normal physical laws will experience a blue miracle (wreck).

German (orginal)

Hallo Ezghoul,

wie weiter vorne schon gesagt, wenn physikalische Kräfte wie Schwerkraft, Aerodynamik oder schlicht Masse keine Rolle spielen, würde ein Baunetz reichen. Aber Konstrukteure sind in der Regel keine Schlosser oder Elektiker sondern Ingenieure . Und da muß man rechnen und Kräftdynamik berücksichtigen. Wer glaubt einfach mal einen Flieger entwerfen zu können, der normalen physikalischen Gesetzen gehorcht, wird sein blaues Wunder (Wrack) erleben.

mfG Die Waldfee

I understand that it would be helpful for flight tests but trial and error is part of the experience NQ is trying to create. I highly doubt that DU will use aero dynamics ingame. More likely we will only have to deal with mass, weight, inertia and gravity.

From what I've seen regarding skill progression, NQ wants first hand knowledge and practical application to play a big role in how well something is accomplished.

If you have a creative mode you diminish the risk of trying/designing new things and lower the player skill needed. For logics and scripting, players should have to learn how to build breadboard constructs to test things out before applying them to full-sized ships/turrets/drones etc.

Lack of resources would turn a 1 week project into a 1-3 month project depending on rarity, I am all for a creative mode for design, but requiring the actual resources to build. I have nearly 2 dozen ship designs planned out a ready to go. Instead of it taking a year to get them out it'd take like 10. The design aspect of the game is what I am drawn too and requiring resources just to design would be a major blow to the game IMO. You don't need resources in real life to create a blue print, why should we in-game?

@Wardonis I agree that creating a blueprint shouldn't cost resources, which is why an ingame planning/wireframe mode would be amazing. 

However you would probably want to know if the design would work as intended. Just like in the real world prototyping is not free of cost. BUT people tend to use low cost materials for prototyping. This is were the trial and error stage comes into play. 

In conclusion:

Yes, having a creative mode inside the game, just for designing purpose (without giving any free resources in the "real" in-game universe) is something we are considering.

However, this is a huge feature to develop, and while we would like to add it to the game, there is a high chance it won't be implemented before the official game release. If it's implemented at some point, it will be probably after, in an expansion.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hello Ezghoul,
NQ says later.

German (orginal)

Hallo Ezghoul,

NQ sagt später.

mfG Die Waldfee

Hi everyone,

As the topic about a possible Creative Mode is more an idea for the idea box, if you want to continue to discuss about it, please go to the already existing thread about it in the appropriate section here.

I'm going to lock this topic to avoid two threads in parallel on the same topic.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.