July 2017 Devdiary

ATMLVE

The July 2017 devdiary is here! Huge focus on Lua for this one. Some crazy cool stuff has been shown! I think the biggest overall announcement is that it has been shown we can add in our own images now onto screen elements. Edit: appears someone already posted it in the Arkship pub. With all these forum updates you think there'd be a delete button ;)

Yeah those screen elements look interesting. Though can see potential abuse with them as putting in offensive and NSFW words and phrases.

EDIT:

To clarify, I'm not advocating censorship or creating safe spaces for the thin skinned, was alluding to NQ and having to devote resource's to monitoring stuff that can be done via the freedom the game allows. Further posts illustrate this point.

Edited by Pang_Dread

4 minutes ago, Pang_Dread said:

Yeah those screen elements look interesting. Though can see potential abuse with them as putting in offensive and NSFW words and phrases.

Eh it's possible, but it will have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

I don't want them to censor things away just because of NSFW words and phrases. If people don't want them, they won't buy them and they'll fail on the market.

Least of all, if we don't like something we can easily go in and change things around.

If I'm in my own ship and nobody is ever going to be in the cockpit but me, why should it matter to anyone else what my display says on it? 

Just now, Pang_Dread said:

Actually what they showed is a game called Breakout. But yeah it'll probably be possible to stuff like Pong as well.

Haha yeah I know, got a little bit excited. Personally, I prefer JezzBall.

1 hour ago, Lord_Void said:

Eh it's possible, but it will have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Of course it will but that's also another concern in that the more freedom the game has the more time and resources NQ will need to devote to deal with trolls and griefers.

18 minutes ago, Thokan said:

Haha yeah I know, got a little bit excited. Personally, I prefer JezzBall.

Yeah of all those old Atari games I think Breakout was what I played most followed by Pacman and Space Invaders. /nerdout  

4 minutes ago, Pang_Dread said:

the more time and resources ACE will need to devote to deal

Who are ACE?

Yes, that is true. But it's a trade off I think many people are willing to make. They only have to moderate things that people complain about, so if you and your friends are the only ones who see it, who cares? Also, they could implement a basic image filter that can check for nudity on uploaded images. Sure, some people will put inappropriate content in the game, but I think most people have a lot better things that they'd rather be doing in the game. 

6 minutes ago, Lord_Void said:

Who are ACE?

Yes, that is true. But it's a trade off I think many people are willing to make. They only have to moderate things that people complain about, so if you and your friends are the only ones who see it, who cares? Also, they could implement a basic image filter that can check for nudity on uploaded images. Sure, some people will put inappropriate content in the game, but I think most people have a lot better things that they'd rather be doing in the game. 

lol meant NQ. Got my indie devs mixed up whos games I'm both following. ACE is making a game called Crowfall.

41 minutes ago, Pang_Dread said:

Of course it will but that's also another concern in that the more freedom the game has the more time and resources NQ will need to devote to deal with trolls and griefers.

Yeah of all those old Atari games I think Breakout was what I played most followed by Pacman and Space Invaders. /nerdout  

Not if we are given in game tools to deal with trolls and griefers ourselves.  Just like in real life... we create organizations... like say the police... to deal with real life trolls and griefers...  If in games systems exist that we can use to police such activities then we should be able to do it ourselves.

2 hours ago, Pang_Dread said:

I'm disappointed in this community. There have already been at least 2 threads about people hoping for censorship and pretty much first thing people think about after seeing screens introduced is how to censor what other people put on them. If it is a screen then it is something located in certain place in the world that you can see if you are there. If you see something you take offence to in someone else's construct you can either ignore it or go somewhere else. If you are building as a group/organisation then the group can have internal rules on what to have in the common construct and outsiders have the previous 2 options. 

I swear with some of the people here I might just have to build the nazi moonbase from Iron Sky (image from the movie through google)22366456663_e6217aab26_b.jpg

just to trigger the easily offended who think other's should be controlled by their personal feelings. I don't care about your NSFWs (that I had to google). Unless you work for Novaquark or plan to run youtube channel on DU, Dual Universe is not your work (Not Safe For Work) and I don't have a wife (Not Safe For Wife) +If you have one, its not something that should affect anyone else.

You'll have my support if someone puts up irl threat/direct incitement of violence/crime, reveals personal information or spread false information about a person. If you try to censor beyond that I'm 99% likely against you.

Would also safe NQ's time and resources to not control what people do and let people deal with disagreements and make rules between/inside organisations in-game.

Damn I think this is my third rant on this subject. 

15 minutes ago, Stig92 said:

I'm disappointed in this community. There have already been at least 2 threads about people hoping for censorship and pretty much first thing people think about after seeing screens introduced is how to censor what other people put on them.

Rest assured that seems pretty apparent to be a minority opinion. Just ask around and you'll see most are for the non-censorship (to as large an extent possible) policy NQ aim to have

1 minute ago, Zamarus said:

Rest assured that seems pretty apparent to be a minority opinion. Just ask around and you'll see most are for the non-censorship (to as large an extent possible) policy NQ aim to have

I pray to the magic teapot in the sky that you are right. As for "largest extent", I assume that means french law and if it becomes a problem it would be better to move the servers somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Zamarus said:

Agreed. There is a line that can be crossed when it comes to content, and when it is I am okay with the devs taking appropriate action. But this is not a game for children. It is not supposed to be nice and kind. If people want a tightly moderated place safe from things they don't like, they can join their own groups that cater to that, but they shouldn't be able to force that on everyone. 

21 minutes ago, Stig92 said:

I'm disappointed in this community. There have already been at least 2 threads about people hoping for censorship and pretty much first thing people think about after seeing screens introduced is how to censor what other people put on them. If it is a screen then it is something located in certain place in the world that you can see if you are there. If you see something you take offence to in someone else's construct you can either ignore it or go somewhere else. If you are building as a group/organisation then the group can have internal rules on what to have in the common construct and outsiders have the previous 2 options. 

I swear with some of the people here I might just have to build the nazi moonbase from Iron Sky (image from the movie through google)22366456663_e6217aab26_b.jpg

just to trigger the easily offended who think other's should be controlled by their personal feelings. I don't care about your NSFWs (that I had to google). Unless you work for Novaquark or plan to run youtube channel on DU, Dual Universe is not your work (Not Safe For Work) and I don't have a wife (Not Safe For Wife) +If you have one, its not something that should affect anyone else.

You'll have my support if someone puts up irl threat/direct incitement of violence/crime, reveals personal information or spread false information about a person. If you try to censor beyond that I'm 99% likely against you.

Would also safe NQ's time and resources to not control what people do and let people deal with disagreements and make rules between/inside organisations in-game.

Damn I think this is my third rant on this subject. 

I wasn't and never have asked for any kind of censorship. Pointing out potential flaws and issues with systems and features is a normal occurrence if not expected from a pre-launch MMO community, it wasn't some kind of demand or call to action.  Seems like you're the one that's easily triggered.

My point was about the time and resources NQ may have to waste policing stuff. The more freedom they give the more time and resources may need to be spent monitoring that freedom.  Also I wasn't talking about disagreements between players/Orgs or w/e, was talking about straight up trolls and griefing, ie more freedom is great for good players but it also gives platforms for those with bad intentions as well.

2 minutes ago, Pang_Dread said:

I wasn't and never have asked for any kind of censorship. Pointing out potential flaws and issues with systems and features is a normal occurrence if not expected from a pre-launch MMO community, it wasn't some kind of demand or call to action.  Seems like you're the one that's easily triggered.

My point was about the time and resources NQ may have to waste policing stuff. The more freedom they give the more time and resources may need to be spent monitoring that freedom.  Also I wasn't talking about disagreements between players/Orgs or w/e, was talking about straight up trolls and griefing, ie more freedom is great for good players but it also gives platforms for those with bad intentions as well.

What is griefing to you in a game like this? And why should it be moderated by devs. For example if its about ruining buildings and environments. Killing people with no reason and so, why can't the players play around it or cooperate against it? Also why should NQ need to monitor the freedom. I think a report system where they deal with the obvious stuff would be enough at its max.

4 minutes ago, Zamarus said:

What is griefing to you in a game like this? And why should it be moderated by devs. For example if its about ruining buildings and environments. Killing people with no reason and so, why can't the players play around it or cooperate against it?

Anything that breaks the ToS as set by NQ. More freedom the game has the more ways people have to break those rules. That's been my only point.  

That sandbox freedom is why I am here as well, but just saying sometimes it comes at a cost.

Just now, Lord_Void said:

I think we are going a bit off topic here. Can we all agree that NQ has a right to remove anything that violates the ToS and leave it at that? Or at least move to the thread on this topic?

Fair enough. I for one, plan on having some borderline stuff on screens and building wise for internal jokes with my guys. I also am very pleased to see that we can script our own simple games on the screens and thus we could have some awesome entertainment while flying long distances (Exploration and Colonization teams yay!)

5 hours ago, Pang_Dread said:

[sarcasm] I thought that was the best part [/sarcasm]