Lithos on deck

Sup.

I don't usually do intro posts, but I feel like I'm gonna be around for a while, so I figured I'd let everybody know that I'm here, and I'm single.

I mean I don't belong to any organization. Just did some forum prowling and was astonished at some of the things that are already happening before anyone's even played the game. But yeah, I'll probably be looking for one to join? Ideally, I'd like to start one myself, but every time I start gaining momentum on a guild or clan of some sort, I end up losing interest in the game and my webserver gets filled with unfinished site projects. I'm also not sure I could get enough of my friends to buy into this, especially this early on, so I think hopping in an already-rolling bandwagon might work out this time.

Background:

Been following loosely following development with skepticism (I've been hurt too many times) since I heard about it last year, probably around November/December. A friend of mine and myself have been searching for a space-based multi-player building game where things actually, y'know.. work... I hate to mention Space Engineers, but I really enjoyed the concept. The execution was poor. Very poor. Beside the point: this looks fantastic and I want to play it with a crapton of people who also like diddling around in spess.

I plan on pledging Gold sometime in August to help out and get access. 

Side-question: can anyone unbiased give me a runover of who the big kahunas are, what they do, stand for, etc. or would I be better off trying to find their recruitment threads? Either way, hello and thanks if you can do that.

Additional background: I never played Eve so I won't get any Eve-based mumbo jumbo you might spew at me (though I haven't seen any yet, other than the PLEX references in the business model post)

Hello and welcome to the community! We are glad to have you :) many of us have similar feelings of looking for a place where things work. We are still waiting for alpha so the game is still a ways off. As to who the big players are, I will do my best to give a summary but itis always important to do your own research.

The biggest group is Terran Union, run by UniversalG and FleetAdmiralCoke. They are a good group of people but have had a lot of infighting and restructuring over the years. 

Next up is Band of Outlaws or BOO of which I am a member. We are the second largest group. Cybrex is the big dog with us and supported by our staff. We are a bit like the mafia of memes; we are a bit rough around the edges but in the end we just want to have fun. We value community, fun, and freedom. We currently play a bunch of other games while we wait for DU.

After that, there is Cinderfall Syndicate. The best way to describe them would the United Nations but in space. Astrophil runs them and he is a great person. They have had a few setbacks recently but they have a lot of players and groups who are focused on building things. 

Then there is the Empire, a quiet group but they are well put together. Leonis is the one I see most active over there. Then there are a number of smaller groups that come in all shapes in sizes. 

The big thing for looking at groups is not what they promised but whether you like the people. So talk to people, join Discords, play games with people, and find some friends :)

For further info, check out the community discord or the Dual Universe Historical Society. Kurock did an excellent write up of some of the communities history.

Welcome to the forums and community. Most people here are happy to answer questions about their org, and some have quite a lot to say about others. All I can say is (coughjoinVanguardcough) do your research.

Goodluck with whatever you choose.

Welcome. My honest suggestion is similar to that of Lord_Void, just join discords and see which group of people you gravitate towards. We are so far off right now that I just suggest waiting till we get closer before you join a group.

Greetings and welcome. Which organisation you join also depends on what you want to do in game. Almost all organisations will have building of some shape or form, so it's about choosing the flavour of org that suits you best. Industrial? Imperial? Impartial?

I suggest having a look through the organisations on the community page and join the discords of the ones that strike you as a good fit.

Most of all, have fun ;) 

I'd advise you to look through the org first page and read the descriptions of each org. Maybe join some discords and look around. There's one for almost every need at this point. But of course they don't have to be the best fit for you either. The future will tell

Thanks for the warm greetings, all. Definitely excited to see what Novaquark has to offer here.

Does anyone know what we can expect as far as a flight model goes? I watched the moon-Earth demo the other day and it looks promising; the re-entry effects were shockingly nice (thought a bomb was detonating off-screen at first). I was heavily into KSP a couple years ago, and became a bit fond of their wonky flight model, despite its flaws. It looks semi-realistic so far but I was just wondering if anyone has any additional details in terms of how physically accurate it's going to be, or if NQ has plans to develop it that way.

looking at JC's answers in diverse interviews,  the flight mechanics will be realistic, but not too much. Because he said that to design a real fighter in a real physic world, one has to work at Boeing or Dassault... So physics is simplified, but sufficiently reallistic to have a challenge to build starships/fighters...

The feeling of realism seems to be created by a tradeoff between ships weight/speed/autonomy/maneouvrability/engine specifications...

Several info have been collected on the wiki: https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/. You should look at it.