New Lighting Video...

Blakjac

I saw it but now im wondering if planets will be rotating and moving because I though they said they would be statonary (rotation could be slightly different . . . I think) because to me it does look like its moving

I really hope we get orbits/rotation. Imagine building on only 1/2 of a planet... since the other side is always dark...

I saw it but now im wondering if planets will be rotating and moving because I though they said they would be statonary (rotation could be slightly different . . . I think) because to me it does look like its moving

I noticed and thought the same .... the stars in the back show the planet moving in an orbit or some sort.

People are wondering if planets rotate... and here I am, wondering if the'll rotate the star itself...

Very good question. but then they would need a central point for the stars to rotate around and that means there would be a center to the galaxy, and if so is there more than one galaxy?

Very good question. but then they would need a central point for the stars to rotate around and that means there would be a center to the galaxy, and if so is there more than one galaxy?

Indeed. They could go a PvE/Explorer route that way. But, too many calculations and dynamic lighting required for orbits around a star matey :/

Could be done, I ain't a psychic to know the limitations of the servers themselves.

Oh yes it really could be done but I don't think it will go that far. it is a bit much and I'm not sure the tech could handle that much. Though spore kinda did it back in 2008.

They may end up having the sun/star being the only rotating object. Sort of like Space Engineers. I hope they have orbits at least.

Could work, if they were to altogether ignore any starlight shaders and go for a fixed ambient color exposure. 

My god, it's full of stars!

I am hoping planets rotate, as I wouldn't know how to feel if my outpost/city or whatever was constantly in light or dark. 

"They could through in some randomness. It won't be much fun if all the planets rotated at the same speed and in the same direction. Some planets may have sides of eternal day or night...until the Death Star obliterates them."

Hi everyone,

To answer some questions:

The planet was spinning in the video to show the landscape diversity under atmospheric lightning. 

At the moment, in our current game version, the planets are static. However, the team plans to make some tests to see if it would be technically feasible to make them spin without generating too many problems. One of the first problem would be to define around which altitude a flying construct start to fly without being influenced by the planet rotation (because when a construct takes off, it could cause some technical problems if it doesn't follow the planet spinning, at least for a few moments). Same problem applies (and others emerge) for a planet making a revolution around a star.

So only time will tell if we can implement that properly in the game.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar. 

One of the first problem would be to define around which altitude a flying construct start to fly without being influenced by the planet rotation (because when a construct takes off, it could cause some technical problems if it doesn't follow the planet spinning, at least for a few moments). Same problem applies (and others emerge) for a planet making a revolution around a star.

You will have to implement an inertial speed and vector, matching the rotation speed of the planet I believe.

This is a useless complication from my point of view :P