Brush shapes

Ben Fargo

I was watching the June DevDiary again and it made me think of some questions about the brush shapes.

We will be able to stretch the cylinder, but will we also be able to change the diameter of it?  If we can, will we be able change the diameter of both ends independently, to make a shape that tapers in or out?

Similarly,  can we change the different dimensions of the sphere to create oval shapes, or must it remain circular?

I would like to have these abilities.  Cubes can easily be combined to make larger cubes, but that can not be done with curved shapes.

Finally, will there be a shape that is a cube with the pyramid corner cut out of it?  I am not sure what to call that shape, but it is useful because it can be combined with the pyramid corner to build a sloping wall. 

if I remember correctly in a previous devdiary they show the ability to cut out shapes. Such as cutting the corner off a cube. I am unable to look for the dev diary at this moment. but if someone doesn't post or link it. I will see if I can find which one it was. I also know that we will have pyramid shapes

On 8/2/2017 at 8:03 PM, Ezghoul said:

One big question is what's the smallest unit we can "sculpt" with and is rotation locked to a grid or can we freely rotate on all 3 axis.

good question, I know voxels can be smoothed down to create micro voxels that one can use to build things like fine furniture, small detail work using micro stitching but you couldnt free rotate without mass distortions. I am wondering how that might work on a ship that is partially voxel built... Will it distrort during manuevers? Im sure this team has a handle on things but I imagine that there are limits to how voxels can be manipulated. the last voxel based game I tested had distortions a 5 voxels thick on free rotate, Im hoping this game will be far improved from landmark. As far as I can tell from the dev diaries DU is far superior to LM. Looking forward to pushing the limits of the tools during Alpha.

3 hours ago, Munney said:

good question, I know voxels can be smoothed down to create micro voxels that one can use to build things like fine furniture, small detail work using micro stitching but you couldnt free rotate without mass distortions. I am wondering how that might work on a ship that is partially voxel built... Will it distrort during manuevers? Im sure this team has a handle on things but I imagine that there are limits to how voxels can be manipulated. the last voxel based game I tested had distortions a 5 voxels thick on free rotate, Im hoping this game will be far improved from landmark. As far as I can tell from the dev diaries DU is far superior to LM. Looking forward to pushing the limits of the tools during Alpha.

One way they may be getting around this is instead of using the global axis, they could be using the ships core to parent and locally lock the axis. I'm not sure if I have explained that correctly but I am basing that comment off how local/global (parent/child) positions work in 3D programs.

I also wonder if anti voxels, null etc etc are possible since they are using some of the same technology that Landmark used (although their tech looks more refined).