Adobe to End of Life Flash

yamamushi

giphy.gif

Flash is finally coming to an end!!!

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

Adobe:

• Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

Google:

• Chrome will continue phasing out Flash over the next few years, first by asking for your permission to run Flash in more situations, and eventually disabling it by default. We will remove Flash completely from Chrome toward the end of 2020.

Mozilla:

• Starting next month, users will choose which websites are able to run the Flash plugin. Flash will be disabled by default for most users in 2019, and only users running the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will be able to continue using Flash through the final end-of-life at the end of 2020. In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.

Microsoft:

• In mid to late 2018, we will update Microsoft Edge to require permission for Flash to be run each session. Internet Explorer will continue to allow Flash for all sites in 2018.
  • In mid to late 2019, we will disable Flash by default in both Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. Users will be able to re-enable Flash in both browsers. When re-enabled, Microsoft Edge will continue to require approval for Flash on a site-by-site basis.
  • By the end of 2020, we will remove the ability to run Adobe Flash in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer across all supported versions of Microsoft Windows. Users will no longer have any ability to enable or run Flash.

By the end of 2020 Flash will be dead!!!!! 

9 hours ago, Shadow said:

Probably just because it is so old (~25 years old).

Regards,

Shadow

Here I know the history... I have dealt with it since the problem started.  It has nothing to do with age.  C++ is super old and the best video games are still written on it. (Granted that's open for debate but you know what I mean)

In 2007 when the iPhone was new, it was a first of its' kind.  Being able to run Flash on the iPhone would have been extremely awesome except that Flash required to take "control" of certain parts of the iPhone and Apple would not allow it.  Apple has been protective of their OS and the capabilities of apps to prevent any hacking and other security issues...  The arguments wildly range as to why or who wants what but ultimately there are policies with how the iOS operates and regardless of opinion, it is to control and mitigate "unknowns." 

For example - you can get a WiFi signal reader app for Android phones that will give you detailed info about your signal, but this is not possible on iOS.  This is the sort of stuff I'm talking about and Flash wanted to be able to control it.  It was pretty nasty in terms of legal battles. 

Since that time, other technologies have stepped up to the plate to perform in ways that only Flash could, and they do it better, faster, and without a ton of proprietary software to download from Adobe or needlessly include into the OS.  

Ultimately, flash was a great idea that created the possibilities of lot of online stuff like YouTube.  But now with HTML5 for example that's not even necessary....  

There is a lot more about this subject, but really why... Is because flash just isn't as good as it was when there was nothing else like it.

Here's some history:

https://wikileaks.org/wiki/Why_Apple_Won't_Allow_Adobe_Flash_on_iPhone

Hope this is somewhat entertaining - I'm not a historian but I have been in I.T. professionally since the early 2000's and I have to say I am more than pleased to see this happen. Good riddance Flash!

On 7/26/2017 at 9:06 AM, yamamushi said:

giphy.gif

This is what flashed me right away.

But it's nice that Flash gets finally deprecated and thrown out the Window. Was long over due.