An API for Skills

yamamushi

This is more of a request than an "idea" because I think they're going to add an API at some point it just doesn't really have a high priority at the moment.

I think it would be a good idea to have a simple API launched alongside the skill system when implemented during Alpha or Beta so that we can start working on skill management tools before the launch of the game. 

Maybe I'm just cherry-picking here, but I think that having skill training tools readily available to new players at launch will drastically help improve the new player experience. 

Since the skill system is going to be time-based like Eve, I think it's fair to use Eve as an example here. I think that the majority of Eve players use some type of skill management system, whether through their phones or desktops, so they can keep track of things while they're away from the game. It's much more convenient than setting alarms for when your skills are about to be complete. 

I don't think it needs to be a fully featured crazy API, but just something that we can use to list skills, a skill queue (if that's going to be a thing), and a current skill in training. 

Otherwise, there are some of us that will probably still be working on skill training tools if there's no API to use, it's just going to be a bit tougher on the users to set up. 

I know some people want to go further and have an API for managing characters, and interacting with all sorts of things that have to do with the game, but I think the single most needed feature to do with an API would be the ability to track skills. 

7 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

It's much more convenient than setting alarms for when your skills are about to be complete. 

Hopefully they will follow EVE's lead and make an infinite skill queue.

I do agree that it would be nice to have some basic APIs in place by the end of Beta so that we can get some basic tools out and provide a more complete launch when the game releases. People essentially expect those sorts of tools nowadays so being able to have them from day one will make people very happy. 

I think some basic api would be very good in order to build such programs (like evemon, but more basic for alpha and beta) which can be developed once the api gets more powerful.

I have written an excel sheet for the worst case (no api at all) to calculate skills but I would only use that for really really pressing matters (as finding the fastest skilltime for starships)

• 2 weeks later...