Mobile Terrain

Darkarma

What is says on the tin. One thing I think needs to be done is allow us to attach chunks of the terrain to platforms, and other mobile objects. This would be perfect for a secret base where the ground litterally moves out of the way, when you open your base's entrance.

Another advantage is to build terrariums inside your ship.

The finally use, if you want to simply repair the terrain by moving everything back where you got it.

Thoughts?

That's a pretty decent idea, but I can see there being some coding problems with implementing it, depending on how the terrain system works. I'd defenitly like to see it happen, but I'd imagine it's rather far down the development pipeline. 

I mean, based on what they have said, everything is made out of the same voxel system so theoretically this should be possible, but whether it will actually be possible is anyone's guess. 

Another question is what happens if terrain becomes detached? Does gravity apply or does it float like Minecraft blocks?

1 hour ago, Lord_Void said:

I mean, based on what they have said, everything is made out of the same voxel system so theoretically this should be possible, but whether it will actually be possible is anyone's guess. 

Another question is what happens if terrain becomes detached? Does gravity apply or does it float like Minecraft blocks?

It floats. This was an early design decision, people could chop mountains off at the base and cause huge server strain for nothing.

I think the only voxels that will be able to move will be those created on dynamic core units. So you can't just attach a piston to some ground, cut out the ground and expect it to move. In order to make voxels physically move, they will have to be placed, by a player with the nanoformer, inside the building zone of a dynamic construct. I could be wrong about all of this, but based on the info we have and what's been announced, I think that's how things will be.

That isn't to say you won't be able to copy chunks of ground and paste them into a ship as dirt voxels. At this point we don't know if that's possible; though again, my guess would be that copy and pasting only works with voxels placed within the building zone.

3 hours ago, ATMLVE said:

It floats. This was an early design decision, people could chop mountains off at the base and cause huge server strain for nothing.

I think the only voxels that will be able to move will be those created on dynamic core units. So you can't just attach a piston to some ground, cut out the ground and expect it to move. In order to make voxels physically move, they will have to be placed, by a player with the nanoformer, inside the building zone of a dynamic construct. I could be wrong about all of this, but based on the info we have and what's been announced, I think that's how things will be.

That isn't to say you won't be able to copy chunks of ground and paste them into a ship as dirt voxels. At this point we don't know if that's possible; though again, my guess would be that copy and pasting only works with voxels placed within the building zone.

Makes sense. 

If you can't attach dirt to a moving platform perhaps you can somehow "paint" the material in such a way that it blends with the surrounding environment. Shape something like a rock then paint it grey, stuff like that. 

Good old camouflage. 

It might not be exactly what you want but it's a way to work around it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2017 at 11:13 PM, CommanderLouiz said:

My guess: You can definitely "suck up some dirt" and place it in or on a construct, thus "having mobile terrain". Now, will you be able to make grass grow on it? Who knows?

I assume this to be true. I imagine being able to put some dirt on top of a great big door you build in the ground; Effectively concealing an underground shipyard. If not, then I like the idea, and I can see, I think, what is being suggested here being valuable.