Huricanes, weather

Arkythekiller

HI !

I saw this awesome game and when I seen the trailer I was amazed . :lol:

And when I saw a planet with an atmosphere there was something missing, there were storms, hurricanes, or just the clouds under which it rains.
For example, if he was a hurricane, he would be visible from the universe, with lightning as he moves and turns ...
And if you got into it, who knows what would happen to you? 

Nyz already answered the question and as a dev he knows better than me ofc but I just want to encourage you to watch the AMA videos on yt and all other videos there on their channel - it was answered already with tons of other very useful information and a very good insight on the development progress of DU

45 minutes ago, Lord_Void said:

I have always thought the idea of *some* environmental hazards would be fun, but that's some for after release.

Ha, to me the fun comes from seeing the effects. I'm a sucker for rain in games. It adds a lot to my immersion. 

Well, can we at least see basic rain/snow? And maybe seasons?(Even though there is no planetary orbital movement)

so, every hex has a boolean var called "IsPrecipitating", and a random generator function is rolled every time the hex is loaded in or every minute. it also checks for nearby hex's weather, and if a majority of nearby hexes have a certain weather type, it will be biased towards that weather

5 hours ago, Falstaf said:

Ha, to me the fun comes from seeing the effects. I'm a sucker for rain in games. It adds a lot to my immersion. 

Agreed. Even just visual effects are fun. Surely they could add that pretty easily. Just make it randomly occur planet wide

6 hours ago, Lord_Void said:

Agreed. Even just visual effects are fun. Surely they could add that pretty easily. Just make it randomly occur planet wide

Yea though I remember JC mentioning that it was tricky because you'd have to be able to see it from space. 

I wish I knew more about the technical side of DU. ?

The other day, I've been asked if there are uninhabitable planets. 
I responded we don't know yet, but the chances are quite low for something like that to appear. That's when I thought of some kind of permanent weather on life hostile planets, for example a corrosive or poisonous atmosphere or a planet with high radiation. Things that are simply always present in a planet's atmosphere might be feasible if a dynamic weather system is difficult to implement.

a permanent weather is a good idea however It shouldn't be like random, there should be causes of the permanent weather (low orbiting planet could have a really high temperature). If there aren't, this could end up in a kinda boring state

13 minutes ago, Celivalg said:

a permanent weather is a good idea however It shouldn't be like random, there should be causes of the permanent weather (low orbiting planet could have a really high temperature). If there aren't, this could end up in a kinda boring state

I believe that would be feasible as well, if not even quite easy. Procedual generation allows for quite a few options, maybe create high radiation planets only in systems with a white star that is especially energy rich, similar to the ones with gamma ray bursts. Toxic environments could be created if a system is especially gas rich, so generating gas clouds near the hazardous planet would make sense

It would actually be pretty awesome to have planets with a slightly more hostile yet rich in minerals environment. 

You are out and about prospecting, then all of a sudden the weather changes and seriously acid rain starts falling down. People and constructs in its path start taking damage. I'd love to see something like that. 

Just now, Falstaf said:

It would actually be pretty awesome to have planets with a slightly more hostile yet rich in minerals environment. 

You are out and about prospecting, then all of a sudden the weather changes and seriously acid rain starts falling down. People and constructs in its path start taking damage. I'd love to see something like that. 

mmh I dont know about durabitlity (in terms of weather dammage), It's quite annoying to manage and don't add a whole lot in gameplay

Edit: I take it back, it might be a great idea to have planet where you can't establish long term bases and force you to use them as ressource only

I don't know if it's off topic but I didn't felt like oppening a new weather topic would be a great idea... 

what about cataclysmic events? By cataclysmic I mean asteriods, huge solar flares, maybe supernova ( even if I don't have a clue of what the consequences would be... ) but with a really rare probability, by rare I mean that a cataclysmic event should only have an impact on the economy at most once or twice a year, they could happend more often but not have an impact on the economy/ players interactions....

Imagine a war completely reversed after one of the sides has been touched by one of these events... It would seem unbalenced but after all life is life, and maybe it would encorage corporations to extend to more than one planet/ solar sytems in therms of structures... ( I mean main structures, not outposts)

but again seeing how "hard" it would be for the touched players to make a comeback in the game, I need someone else to tell me the things I haven't thought about...

I would love to see such events, but I doubt it will happen at all. 

Supernovae would be a bit of an overkill as they emit a gamma ray burst (brightest ever observed explosions) which would kill any and all lifeforms on a planet in a dozen LIGHTYEARS radius if it's directed there. 

It would definitely make up for a good patch (planetary as space weather) after release if they manage to implement it without breaking the servertech. I doubt it and it's not that important to me, but it would be cool