A sorting system for ideas?

Morand

Hi, I'm just new to Dual Universe and I already see 12k+ posts about ideas...

I'm usually happy to share my improvements ideas, but most of them probably have already been proposed and I would prefer to respond or like these posts more than posting and flooding the forum just to have someone else telling me "We already talked about this a hundreds times!".
12k+ posts, and the game is not even out, so what will it be in 1 year ?

Don't tell me to use the research, we all use different words, in this case this is useless.

Does someone had the patience to sort the ideas?
Having them in categories and subcategories could save time for everyone.

Hi Elildar,

Sorting the ideas posted in this section is part of our to-do list.

We also want to make a table on which we would answer if the idea is:

- accepted and included in the roadmap before the official launch

- accepted and included in the roadmap after the official launch

- accepted and might be included but much later.

- rejected temporarily (because of some reasons, but that reasons may disappear at some point)

- rejected definitely (because of reasons that have no chance to disappear or because it's just not compatible with our game vision).

However, as we have a lot of priority tasks at the moment, this hasn't been done yet.

If someone was willing to make at least a kind of summary of the ideas already posted (with links toward the involved topics) right now, this would help both the Community and the Community Team.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Most topics are fair game, if someone is harassing you about inadequate research of prior topics it cannot be helped.

Things that have been beaten a lot. Free to play versus pay to play, capture and prisoner stuff, org created currency, planet destroying weapons, all of the I want this random unimportant feature, and character creation mechanics.

This thread has good information if your trying to get up to speed quickly >> 

The devblogs have good information as well, after you read the devlogs and do a casual search, if someone gives you a lot of flak just ignore. In this community as with many others youll find that, if you necro they hate you, if you post a beaten topic they hate on you, always lose lose.

welcome to and thank you for joining dual universe.

Welcome to the community! I also think this would be nice to have. Perhaps a bit of community teamwork is in order to do some forum sorting :)

The resources mentioned above are all great sources of information, too

Neopolitan, thanks for the link, it's indeed a very useful one.

Nyzaltar, sorting all these ideas topics is more than a one man job. I don't know what you planned for the bug report system, but if you plan to do it on the forum, you should consider that you will have the exact same problem when alpha is out. Hundreds of people posting bug reports, it will be even worst than now with ideas (no offense to devs).
The principle of this game is to make tools and let the community do the work, and that's all we need to solve this problem. If you make us a sorting system, the community will be happy to sort it for you (with moderator approval).
To avoid having to sort all the bug reports later, maybe you should make this system before the alpha.

Here is how I see this system :
1 - Main categories and sub categories
2 - View of topics by categories
3 - Topic states

1 - Main categories and sub categories
Main categories are very general and have to be defined at first. (If it help, the community could define it in a later topic)
As an example, it could be something like :
- Forum & Website
- Community
- Building
- PvP
- Unknown

Sub categories are more specific categories and could be created by anyone (with moderator approval).
Each sub category would belong to a main category or another sub category.
Each topic could belong to multiple categories.
Existing topics would go automatically in the "Unknown" category, so the community would know that this topic has to be sort somewhere.
When someone create a topic, he could select existing categories or propose a new one (need moderator approval).
Anyone could propose to sort or move a topic in another category (need moderator approval).

2 - View of topics by categories
Of course the all point of doing this is to be able to see all the topics in each category.
But we need also one a page where we can see all the categories, sorted like a tree.

3 - Topic states
In order to know if there is still need to discuss about a topic, each topic would have a current state.

People need to answer the topic to propose a new state (need moderator approval).

It could be something like this :
- Suggested : By default the topic is an idea under discussion.
- Accepted (high priority) : Accepted and included in the roadmap before the official launch.
- Accepted (medium priority) : Accepted and included in the roadmap after the official launch.
- Accepted (low priority) : Accepted and might be included but much later.
- Rejected (temporarily) : Rejected temporarily (because of some reasons, but that reasons may disappear at some point).
- Rejected (definitely) : Rejected definitely (because of reasons that have no chance to disappear or because it's just not compatible with our game vision).

Finally, it's only some database and webpage modifications for NQ. I'm not an expert but it should not take more than 1-2 days for an IT developer. And it will save many more time for everyone of you and us.

If you accept this, I commit myself to lead a topic where the community will define the best categories' tree to sort the ideas and bug reports, and to sort all the actual idea topics (with community's help I hope).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elildar,

The Idea box and the in-game bug report feature are two completely different features:

- It has never been planned to manage all the bug reports through the forum. There will be an in-game bug report feature and this will enable players to send their report directly to the customer support / QA team. We should also have a list of thematics among which the bug reporter will have to choose one before sending the report. However, during the Alpha we will try to keep updated a list of the bugs already known, in order to save players time if a bug has already been reported a hundred times.

- The idea box sub-section hasn't evolved since the forum opening 2 years and 4 months ago. It's probably about time to develop it further, like becoming a full forum section with sub-sections per thematic.

- For the most advanced things you suggest, no, it's not just "some database and webpage modifications" and it's not just 1-2 days for an IT developer either.

The forum is based on the IPBoard engine developed by a full web developer team, and meddling with the core code (when the developer is external to the IPBoard team) might be a bit tricky to have a global vision of the code and make changes without breaking anything. Also, we try to limit the amount of customizations we add to the forum engine as it could also break the forum when we try to update with official IPBoard updates. We don't say it's impossible, it's just that it's far more time consuming than it may seems at first glance. We don't say we won't do it at some point, but we currently don't have the time to focus on that, especially as we don't have a full-time dedicated web developer at the moment (but we will have one very soon. However, his priorities will be the official web site, the community portal and the crowdfunding portal before thinking to add any feature on the forum).

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

@Shynras : I already began, a few days ago, to sort all the ideas on a Google spreadsheet. But the idea is for people to have an easy way to find what they are looking for without asking to them to go on a spreadsheet out of the forum.

@Nyzaltar :
Well, at least I'm relieved to know that you have planned a better bug report system and that the forum will not be flooded by reports.

About the modifications, indeed with the available system, my idea is not a good one.
So, I can propose a new one (keeping in mind that we have to do with the existing).

A full forum section with sub-sections per thematic is indeed a good solution.
In fact that was my 1st thought. But, as I said, I already began to try to define sections name and assign topics to it. And I found that, this is not so simple.
People often speaks about many subjects in one topic (just look at "Features that would please me ...", it's the name of a topic).
Another problem : there is some sub-categories that you would like to put in multiple main-categories. (example : Building and PvP is very different, but there is topics about Building in PvP)
One solution would be to define only some very general categories like "Forum", "Website", "Game"... but 90% will go into "Game".

So, I thought about another idea : Tags.
The main goal of tags is to help people to find what they are looking for in the forum.
The problem with tags is that everybody use different words, so you usually don't search with the good ones.
The solution I propose is to pin a thread in which would be defined a list of tags that should be used to search and post ideas. Add a little help to explain how to post a new idea, and how to search by tags.
The tools are already there and it works great, it would just generate some more work for the moderation because, of course we know that most people will not use these tags when they create a new thread, so it will be to the moderators to edit the new threads and put the good tags. (moderators have the right to do that, right?)

We could even do both solutions, it's just more work.

Summary:

Solution 1 = create sub-sections
+ more user friendly
- hard to define sections
- unclassified topics

Solution 2 = use tags
+ easy finding
+ accurate finding
- more work for moderation

Solution 1&2 = create sub-sections and use tags
+ more user friendly
+ easy finding