Oculus Rift

Hades

Oculus Rift has gone on "sale" for $400 for a limited time.  You get both the headset, couple of sensors, and the controls.  You no longer get the xbox controller.  I've been interested in VR, but it was just a little too expensive to justify the means... but now, it's the price of a good monitor...  Might have to pick it up.

The price is both on Amazon, and on their official website.

I believe the sale ends on August 7th, and will then be $500 there after.  Anywho, seems like good news to me... 1/2 the price the headset/controls originally costed.  

This IS a pre-order, so I'm not sure if it's just a new batch... or a new edition, but keep that in mind.

Dang that's half price, I paid the full $800 back in January. Hopefully it'll get VR in more people's hands, which should help VR be more viable to develop on with a larger pool of potential customers.

25 minutes ago, Haunty said:

Dang that's half price, I paid the full $800 back in January. Hopefully it'll get VR in more people's hands, which should help VR be more viable to develop on with a larger pool of potential customers.

Agreed, I imagine Vive will drop in price someday soon too... :)

Good news all around imho

• 2 weeks later...

Feel a bit "Meh" about my purchase. For 800 dollars I feel the apparent low screen resolution per eye is not really worth it. Too jarring. Not to mention the face plate is uncomfortable in my opinion and makes it hard to get even a few hours of non-stop use out of it. I can also say the same for the Vive as it's a bit heavier than the rift. Something like the Pimax 4k with the weight of the Oculus and quality of the Vive tracking is definitely the next gen of VR. 

VR is definitely something that is very immersive, no doubt about that but it is in its early days. 

58 minutes ago, OnePercent said:

Feel a bit "Meh" about my purchase. For 800 dollars I feel the apparent low screen resolution per eye is not really worth it. Too jarring. Not to mention the face plate is uncomfortable in my opinion and makes it hard to get even a few hours of non-stop use out of it. I can also say the same for the Vive as it's a bit heavier than the rift. Something like the Pimax 4k with the weight of the Oculus and quality of the Vive tracking is definitely the next gen of VR. 

VR is definitely something that is very immersive, no doubt about that but it is in its early days. 

Even the Rift feels heavy to the point where it gets uncomfortable after an hour. Hopefully next gen will be lighter and better. Something like they showed in the Ready Player One trailer maybe, heh.

9 hours ago, Haunty said:

Even the Rift feels heavy to the point where it gets uncomfortable after an hour. Hopefully next gen will be lighter and better. Something like they showed in the Ready Player One trailer maybe, heh.

Not for me, I'm able to use it for quite a long time.  As long as my normal play sessions anyways, although they are normally pretty short (1-2 hours) I have done longer 4-5 hour sessions.

All heads are different though, I suppose I can understand people not being able to handle the weight.   There's also the possibility you had it configured wrong when you tried it out.

The main problem for me is there isn't a game worth playing in VR for 4-5 hours at the moment.

For me, that's mainly due to the fact standard single player games aren't emergent enough for me to stick with it hours on end.  It's why I like MMORPGs so much.  Granted, I'm pretty sure VR support will be a long ways out for MMOs... Although I can handle trackpad movement in VR, I know the majority cannot.  Just need one to break the mold and implement it anyways.  Put it in for those who can handle, with some major disclaimer drilled into everyone's skull.

if anyone has recommendations let me know!  I've played robo recall, EVE/ED, Arizona sunshine (another favorite of mine), and Raw Data.

On 7/17/2017 at 2:30 PM, yamamushi said:

If I weren't going to Kyrium in a few weeks I would so buy this. 

Are we all going to ignore what yamma said?  "KYRIUM"

As for me, well I can dream~

4 hours ago, Ezghoul said:

I've been torn between an Oculus or Emerald for a while now, still trying to make up my mind..

Way better just getting lifetime tier pledge for Dual universe and not getting an oculus at all, wait for the next versions, or even the third refined version of oculus/vive.. 

18 minutes ago, OnePercent said:

Way better just getting lifetime tier pledge for Dual universe and not getting an oculus at all, wait for the next versions, or even the third refined version of oculus/vive.. 

this and DU wont be VR ready at release more than likely

17 hours ago, Ezghoul said:

I've been torn between an Oculus or Emerald for a while now, still trying to make up my mind..

I'd honestly say go for the Oculus.  Unless you really want the conference call and other physical rewards.

Most of the people who say it's "too early for VR" haven't actually sat down and used the Oculus or Vive.  Of course, there are some... but very few and far between in my experience.  Everyone I have showed the Oculus are completely blown away, and I've only had it a couple of weeks!  Someone I know actually went out and purchased one after giving it a try.

Sure, the headsets could be lighter and the screens could have a higher resolution... (I don't find either of these a problem in the games I play though)

However, if they did up the resolution... could luck being able to power it!

As I've stated before, the only thing holding VR back is the lack of meaningful content.

Edit:
Oh yeah, if you just want VR for Dual Universe... go with the Emerald pack, as VR support in DU is way down the road...

11 minutes ago, Hades said:

Oh yeah, if you just want VR for Dual Universe... go with the Emerald pack, as VR support in DU is way down the road...

Thanks! Yea I'll probably be going with Emerald. I did a compatibility scan last night and I would have to upgrade my comp (even though I'm currently able to play any games at 4k ultra settings)... I guess VR doesn't like Ivy Bridge lol

10 minutes ago, Ezghoul said:

Thanks! Yea I'll probably be going with Emerald. I did a compatibility scan last night and I would have to upgrade my comp (even though I'm currently able to play any games at 4k ultra settings)... I guess VR doesn't like Ivy Bridge lol

Strange, I have a pretty dated rig (i7 4770k and r9 290x) but runs things well.  

Enjoy the emerald though!  Also another fine purchase ^^

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Replic TuaniOne said:

You can now also get the HTC Vive for less than 700 (200 less), but even then, the 400 sounds really nice, not sure what makes the difference though

I've tried a friends vive, and my oculus rift.  I'd say they're both great headsets.  I just wouldn't pay $700 for either of them.  $400 was even a stretch, but a little over a decent monitor?  I had to snag it.

Personally I don't get this Vive is "better" trend/hype train that is going on.  They're practically the same experience lol.  For me anyway.

What differences I noticed:

Oculus:

crisper screen

Lighter

Vive:

Slightly wider fov (maybe?).  The oculus already looks like regular vision to me, but my eyes could ignore the peripheral more than others maybe.

slightly larger walk space, but this is taking into account I only used the stock sensors. For true room-scale experience you're supposed to get another sensor.  That would put the rift at $450 or something though.

anyway, your best bet is just to try them out in Best Buy or something if possible.

23 hours ago, Hades said:

I've tried a friends vive, and my oculus rift.  I'd say they're both great headsets.  I just wouldn't pay $700 for either of them.  $400 was even a stretch, but a little over a decent monitor?  I had to snag it.

Personally I don't get this Vive is "better" trend/hype train that is going on.  They're practically the same experience lol.  For me anyway.

What differences I noticed:

Oculus:

crisper screen

Lighter

Vive:

Slightly wider fov (maybe?).  The oculus already looks like regular vision to me, but my eyes could ignore the peripheral more than others maybe.

slightly larger walk space, but this is taking into account I only used the stock sensors. For true room-scale experience you're supposed to get another sensor.  That would put the rift at $450 or something though.

anyway, your best bet is just to try them out in Best Buy or something if possible.

I do have the Vive though, just because I felt that the controllers are better and even coming out with a second version of that, I'm not sure how oculus looks like though, but I do need to say, if they both do the same thing (and I thought the roomscale was not available for Oculus) than the 400 seems more appealing

1 hour ago, Replic TuaniOne said:

I do have the Vive though, just because I felt that the controllers are better and even coming out with a second version of that, I'm not sure how oculus looks like though, but I do need to say, if they both do the same thing (and I thought the roomscale was not available for Oculus) than the 400 seems more appealing

Oh yeah, I have no problems with room scale... and I'm only using one sensor for the headset and one for the controllers (both in front).  Ideally I should have a sensor in back, but I must live in a small enough apartment that it doesn't matter lol.

If you live/play in a big area, you probably need another sensor.  

As for the quality of motion, I'd say they're about the same.

One thing the vive does have is chaperon, so if you're inherently clumsy... and taking away eyesight doesn't help with that... then I'd get the vive lol.  I'm usually pretty good with situational awareness, and I've knocked a few things over every now and then.  Not a big factor for me though.

Either way though, if you wear glasses I would recommend getting prescription inserts for the headset.  I used glasses for about a month until I decided to jump on them, best $50-60 bucks spent ever.

My glasses are pretty big and they fit in both headsets without a problem... but they were annoying