Matter Recycling, Conservation, and Currency Generation

Lord_Void

Okay, so this idea hit me the other day and it is not fully fleshed out, but I think it is a good start of something. 

First, here are a few assumptions:

1. There is a finite amount of each material to be mined in a given system.
  2. Systems will be depleted over time.
  3. When a ship is destroyed or a person is killed some material is "lost" forever, while some can be salvaged/reclaimed.
  4. The economy needs some sinks and faucets in order to prevent excessive inflation or deflation over time.

Now, my idea to address some of this. 

Basically, when ships are destroyed or people are killed and some of the material is "lost" the amount can get added to a system-wide tally. Material sold to the Market Bots that JC mentioned would also get added to this tally. The game could then pull from this tally to generate material asteroids in deserted parts of the system which could be scanned down and mined, thus restoring the resources to circulation and conserving the mass. These materials could then be used or sold to market bots again, bringing currency into the game. In addition to preserving mass and providing a currency faucet, this would provide some basic "PvE" content and help prevent systems from becoming depleted. 

To provide a currency sink to counter the currency faucet: the market bots could also sell the materials directly from the tally but for a fairly high price relative to what they buy it for.

I think the asteroids should be flying around, and gas giants should probably emit massive stoney islands (If you look past my previous posts until Neru?/Seru? star system).

Maybe have possible stray planets colliding with other planets for a "fresh restart" in completely broken planets with <100 players.

At this point, the only "bots" confirmed in the game are "Market Bots".

This will allow NovaQuark to control the economy by adjusting the supply of materials.  They can sell materials to increase the supply of that material in the market, thereby lowering the price due to supply and demand.  They can also purchase materials in order to decrease the supply and thereby increase the price.

The bots don't have to mine or stockpile materials.  They have an infinite supply of each.  Novaquark just has to set a price range for each material, and the bots will handle the rest.  If the price of a material exceeds NQ's limits, the bots will adjust the price and supply as needed.

Otherwise, if the price is within NQ's range, all transactions would be performed by players, and the price will fluctuate based upon player demand.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

At this point, the only "bots" confirmed in the game are "Market Bots".

This will allow NovaQuark to control the economy by adjusting the supply of materials.  They can sell materials to increase the supply of that material in the market, thereby lowering the price due to supply and demand.  They can also purchase materials in order to decrease the supply and thereby increase the price.

The bots don't have to mine or stockpile materials.  They have an infinite supply of each.  Novaquark just has to set a price range for each material, and the bots will handle the rest.  If the price of a material exceeds NQ's limits, the bots will adjust the price and supply as needed.

Otherwise, if the price is within NQ's range, all transactions would be performed by players, and the price will fluctuate based upon player demand.

Yes, I am quite aware of the current model. 

This is an idea for a different model.

46 minutes ago, Lord_Void said:

Yes, I am quite aware of the current model. 

This is an idea for a different model.

Sorry,

Your initial post made some assumptions that suggested you thought market bots had a FINITE amount of resources to work with.  This isn't the case.

I do agree with you that there should probably needs to be a mechanism to regenerate resources that are depleted from high traffic areas.  I like the asteroid idea.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Sorry,

Your initial post made some assumptions that suggested you thought market bots had a FINITE amount of resources to work with.  This isn't the case.

Fair enough. No, my point was to propose an idea where they did have a finite amount of material in order to conserve the amount of mass in the universe.