Once Again.... The Reddit Community

yamamushi

9 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

I vote Kane for mod!

Totally not just voting for him because he said he'd upvote everything I posted

Hell No lol. Not worth that sort of modding not anymore. When I was younger sure but now you are a babysitter these days. 

I... I... I Think I'll just go work on a new css style for the r/dualthegame Reddit while we await response from Reddit admins... 

Meanwhile, anyone that has input or ideas on how to improve r/dualthegame let moi know!

*munches on popcorn* 

Cheers,

Comrademoco

As far as I know if you contacted reddit admins you just ruined your rep with them. They not going hand over a subreddit because you don't agree with them. If it was not modded as in chaos left to die etc then yes but since he still reg visits the subreddit even if he does not post I doubt they will do a thing and in fact you are prob more doomed to repeat it when it turns into a real issue down the road. Take WoW subreddit for an example. Biggest MMO Subreddit took how long till things got back to normal.. 

As I already said in that other thread:

It's a shame that the other reddit is run by someone clearly not interested in the DU community at all. But imho it will work out - ppl will use the most active and best reddit, just takes time.

Problem here is, as others said, that ppl could possibly be driven away pre/post alpha from DU because of a bad reddit. Then again they aren't THAT interested anyway if such a thing clouds their minds.....

Once open Beta hits it won't be much of a PR issue anymore

The way I see it. 

There isn't really a way to redirect people to the "correct" subreddit beyond what's being done already. 

Now what would help to endorse our preferred subreddit is some NQ interaction on the subreddit. 

An AMA would drive a lot of Google searches to it. I think. Then again NQ most likely has better things to do. ?

12 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

The way I see it. 

There isn't really a way to redirect people to the "correct" subreddit beyond what's being done already. 

Now what would help to endorse our preferred subreddit is some NQ interaction on the subreddit. 

An AMA would drive a lot of Google searches to it. I think. Then again NQ most likely has better things to do. ?

While I like the idea, I don't think there's a lot of value out of doing something like that right now, like you said. 

I'd rather they focus on getting Alpha shipped first, and then worry about an AMA after things are running (as certainly there will be new people coming into the fold with lots of questions) 

They've got founders packs ending, they've got PAX coming up, they've got Alpha to launch, they've got to fit another newsletter and a dev diary in between now and then too. And from what I can tell, they're still doing work on the forums getting all the kinks worked out. 

I'd be happier if they came into discord one day than if they did anything with Reddit :P 

15 hours ago, Velenka said:

@Pang_Dread

I admit the analogy isn't perfect, if only because you misunderstand. Certainly the internet doesn't work that way, but people do. People using a certain subreddit may not understand that there are other subreddits covering the same subject. It's especially true when /r/dualuniverse is actively removing all mentions of /r/dualthegame.

In a game whose foundation is built upon a community, it's incredibly important to keep that community alive, intact, and growing. More so than any other game. Dividing that community, even if done well, is just not a good idea. Wrecking the community could sink the game.

Not just that, but /r/dualuniverse isn't being managed properly. The issue isn't the visual web design or the content (currently), but with the mods there. Yama has tried more than once to contact them about a merger, but so far they have been resistant or unresponsive about it. Mods who go on with a blatant disregard for both the studio and its community is clearly not suited for the job.

And clearly, the effort that yama and others put into /r/dualthegame should not be ignored, so yes, it is very important that /r/dualthegame should become the dominant subreddit.

Don't care how many reddit pages there are that wasn't my point. It was that this forum and the main site are the official Main places to get info about the game and join the community. The foundation is HERE with this site. Its the very first things that show up on a google search. If people are really interested in the game they are not just going to go to a single site or page and make their decision to follow the game further or not. Also the community doesn't get split the community is the community whether there is 1 site or 1 million sites with all varying degrees of competency at being managed.

But yes I agree 100% the community is very important in games like this I was never disputing that.  Was simply trying to figure out what was so scary about that reddit page that some think its some kind of disaster that will ruin the game. Yeah its not as active or w/e as others but there is still info and links to other sites with info namely the MAIN sites if they haven't already been there. There's nothing there that is damaging to the game that will run people away from the game.

@Pang_Dread
It is a problem when the heart of the community exists on one subreddit and is being actively ignored because the mods of the other, who are REDACTED. The content on both subreddits may be the same for now but that's going to change. It's easy enough to provide a link to a devdiary or interview, but when it comes to generating real, novel, thoughtful content, it's not going to show up where the administrators have zero interest in garnering such content from their subscribers. New players who come in to see a brain-dead subreddit will then automatically assume the game is dead as well and abandon DU before they even had a chance to start.

As long as there's at least one place (forums) where the community exists as a whole (outside of the game) sure, there won't be major problems. The problem with the other sub is that it is attracting new people to a place isolated from the true heart of the community.

On 7/12/2017 at 1:52 AM, yamamushi said:

I'd be happier if they came into discord one day than if they did anything with Reddit :P 

I might just lose it, too xD

36 minutes ago, Velenka said:

@Pang_Dread
It is a problem when the heart of the community exists on one subreddit and is being actively ignored because the mods of the other, who are at best incompetent and at worst have extreme animosity. The content on both subreddits may be the same for now but that's going to change. It's easy enough to provide a link to a devdiary or interview, but when it comes to generating real, novel, thoughtful content, it's not going to show up where the administrators have zero interest in garnering such content from their subscribers. New players who come in to see a brain-dead subreddit will then automatically assume the game is dead as well and abandon DU before they even had a chance to start.

As long as there's at least one place (forums) where the community exists as a whole (outside of the game) sure, there won't be major problems. The problem with the other sub is that it is attracting new people to a place isolated from the true heart of the community.

I might just lose it, too xD

THIS is the main community hub though... These forums... New players will 99% likely to get directed here rather then some off site pages first. Then later when they find other sites and fansites they will always come back HERE to the foundation of the games community. Why do you insist on thinking that some reddit page will be the one and only place were most of the community gathers? Its not and won't be. If one site is dead/abandoned, they'll use other sites, not just give up that's silly.

Also its not isolated that other site, there are links back to here the Main sites... Again why would someone who is interested in the game only use or visit one (off)site and base 100% of their judgment on the game from it? Sorry but they just wouldn't, hence not seeing what the actual problem is.

10 hours ago, Falstaf said:

I don't know what an AMA is, but I think if DU could come out and endorse the proper Reddit as a social media or community platform and maybe have a few official folks actually engage there, I think that could put this whole issue to rest. Like others have said though, they already have a lot of things on their plate leading up to the start of the new college semester alpha.

I too don't fully understand this whole issue with Reddit, but I'd have to agree with Pang on this issue. If folks are really looking for the community then they'd click on NQs website or check out their youtube channel. Then you got their kickstarter, a wikipedia entry, and their facebook page to go through before the subredit comes up. With a little bit of clicking, all three are great platforms to make the jump over here to the forums which are as official as they come.

It seems like a complete non-issue since reddit just seems like an extension of the forums where the only perk is non-NQ staff. If it's as mission critical as you say it is though Yama, by all means, go after it if you feel the calling. I just don't see why we need two (in this case three) forums dividing the community when we have everything we need right here. It's not like we're dealing with big bad NQ where we need to go off and make our own forums and such.

Oh well, this isn't exactly my area to be in anyways, I wish you all the best of luck in ironing this out.

On 7/12/2017 at 11:07 AM, Pang_Dread said:

THIS is the main community hub though... These forums... New players will 99% likely to get directed here rather then some off site pages first. Then later when they find other sites and fansites they will always come back HERE to the foundation of the games community. Why do you insist on thinking that some reddit page will be the one and only place were most of the community gathers? Its not and won't be. If one site is dead/abandoned, they'll use other sites, not just give up that's silly.

Also its not isolated that other site, there are links back to here the Main sites... Again why would someone who is interested in the game only use or visit one (off)site and base 100% of their judgment on the game from it? Sorry but they just wouldn't, hence not seeing what the actual problem is.

Because that's how the internet works, Reddit is where people get their information from, it literally IS the front page of the internet. It is the 8th most used (traffic) website, in the entire internet. To help put it into perspective: 

Reddit Page - source Alexa

reddit.PNG

Dual Forum Page - Source Alexa

board.PNG

:)

Cheers,

Comrademoco

Don't get me wrong. I understand the fact that the boards are a great place for conversation as I learnt from my time on world of warships. But, by saying the reddit community doesn't influence the games popularity is a horrible misconception. Reddit is very, very popular and people will find out about the game from that website and decide if they want it without ever coming to the fourms.

Now if beta comes out and in the trending subreddit the dualuniverse subreddit gets it first, there will be little to no hope of getting the correctly moderated sub off the ground.

Just wanted to point this out as it was theorized that they were banning and muting people. I saw that the creator of the dualuniverse sub made a mod post and when I told my friend about it, he proceeded to make a post onto it. https://i.imgur.com/bo0uzqQ.png (I personally don't that think it's malicious for what was said but I guess the OP doesn't agree)

When I decided to take a look not 20ish min later, the comment was gone and the thread was now locked. You can still see the shadowbanned comment and now my friend is banned from posting onto that sub. https://i.imgur.com/ZrJGbBl.png

Don't get me wrong, if that moderator was willing to work with the dualthegame mods and didn't ban dissenting opinions, I may still lurk but the fact both I and my friend were banned is something that is completely unacceptable for literally the biggest dual universe sub on Reddit atm.

Is there any way to covertly tell the people who are on the dualuniverse sub (and not on the forums) that people are being banned and they should move over to the other subreddit? Could a moderator with full permissions un-hide comments and pardon those who are banned?

1 hour ago, mrjacobean said:

Is there any way to covertly tell the people who are on the dualuniverse sub (and not on the forums) that people are being banned and they should move over to the other subreddit? Could a moderator with full permissions un-hide comments and pardon those who are banned?

There's only one mod in that subreddit, and its the one actively banning people and removing their comments. Anything that mentions the other reddit gets removed and user banned.

@Pang_Dread

I did mention that if this forum continues to act as a main portal as it has been, there won't be any major problems.

I think there's still one aspect of this that is still escaping you. As Comrademoco shows, reddit is a very popular website, so it's logical that people would go there seeking information. People may visit the other sub and see that it's dead. And then from that extrapolate and assume that DU is dead and move on for good. Just because YOU may be smart enough to know that collecting information from more than one source is the best thing to do, it does not mean that others will. As Lethys points out, people are REDACTED

This is akin to having a major news corporation covering DU in an hour long spot on TV and saying that you wouldn't care if the information they put out was skewed in a way to make DU look bad or even downright misinformation. That you wouldn't care about that at all as long as the right information existed somewhere. Again, not everyone's smart enough to dig a little deeper.

Also consider that any improperly mismanaged portals paints not only the community, but DU and NQ in a bad light. If I'd been an outsider and seen and heard REDACTED  I might have stayed the hell away, considering that community "toxic" if it can't even get along with itself.

Regardless of which of the sites gets used as a primary source of information, the actions of the mod of the r/dualuniverse (by Yam's report) make him someone that is most likely only going to damage peoples' opinion of the Dual Universe community imo. The question is what can or should be done, if anything.

25 minutes ago, Shockeray said:

Regardless of which of the sites gets used as a primary source of information, the actions of the mod of the r/dualuniverse (by Yam's report) make him someone that is most likely only going to damage peoples' opinion of the Dual Universe community imo. The question is what can or should be done, if anything.

The only options that I personally see that are on the table are either have the dev's talk to the reddit admins in order to remove the mod staff of dualuniverse due to their "harmful" acts towards the DU community, (Note: Which so far from what I read has not be successful for with talking to the admins.), or simply have a public statement from the NQ of what is the official subreddit of the game along with linking it in vids, newsletters and other PR items which will in turn bring people to that subreddit instead of the other.

This is what I'm talking about (from the latest "mod post")-> 

43MepwX.png

The "new" mod is literally the same mod from before with a brand new account (10 day old Reddit account) because their old one was suspended. 

He has this desire to be in charge without ever participating with the community on anything, and all of these "mod team" posts are immediately locked without the ability for anyone to comment. No criticism is allowed, and if you have complaints you're part of the "vocal minority" that he refuses to respond to. 

Not to mention the censoring of any mention of communities he doesn't like. 

This is one person with the goal of being in charge without doing anything for it and apparently being proud they go out of their way to not communicate with anyone else here because I seriously doubt anyone here has heard from this person before. 

Does nobody else find it strange that after a year or more on the forums, arguably the "center" of the DU Community, where everyone seems to know each other and everyone communicates on an almost daily basis, where there are familiar names all over, where every minor topic on the forums gets talked about on Discord, that in all of this time nobody has heard from this person before?

Yet we're supposed to be happy with them being in charge of the face of Dual Universe on Reddit because they talk about how good of a job they are doing all the time? I mean even this "mod team" is 1 inactive account (last post 3 months ago), 1 bot account, and 1 10-day old Reddit account. 

I should mention - NQ did an AMA on /r/dualthegame before last year, and when I posted about it on /r/dualuniverse my posts were deleted. 

Is that really something we're okay with? 

1 hour ago, yamamushi said:

[...]
Is that really something we're okay with? 

I don't think any of us are "okay" with this. I think everyone just has a varying idea on what level of response should be taken. Having you trust you on your word, I feel similar to yourself.

Hey, I'm the former mod of /r/DualUniverse. The real reason we're having all this drama is that a small group of users, including some current and former mods of /r/DualTheGame, wanted to have control over the main subreddit (/r/DualUniverse). I offered them to merge and join as moderators and help out in the main subreddit but they declined, insisting that one of them needs to have full ownership of the subreddit. So uniting the community on reddit was secondary to them, they were more interested in power.

Since I would not give up the subreddit, they started a campaign on the forums and the discord to de-legitimize me and the main subreddit. Not to mention all the hate messages and insults I was getting. This, despite me being the creator of the subreddit and spending countless hours on moderation and growing the community there for the benefit of the players and the game.

If you go to https://www.reddit.com/r/dualuniverse you can see it's doing great. It is in no way "abandoned" or "neglected" as some of the users on this thread would have you to believe. on the contrary, it's bustling with activity. Please go there yourself and have a look around. If you're pondering the purpose of being prensented all the false info in this thread, it's to create a sense of urgency as if the success of the game lays on whether or not the subreddit is run by someone they like. As if I was some sort of monster who set up the subreddit just to make people run away from the game and that we should all be panicking because people are running for their life in droves after stumbling on the subreddit. Actually the opposite is true, I worked a lot on promoting the game throughout reddit and helped grow the subreddit's population and get tons of new people excited about the game.

Another reason some users here are trying to get people to panic is because they want NQ to step in, but because of all the drama I don't think NQ wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. I'm no longer involved in the sub but I hope the new moderators will be able to eventually get everything back on track with NQ and that all the small group of people who are responsible for instigating this drama will someday mature and will stop splitting the community, or they risk losing respect from the fellow players.

Am happy that many people in the forums (such as Pang_Dread) can see reason and be critical and not accept the fake picture that was presented in this thread. I was very tired and frustrated of dealing with the constant drama, insults, and hate from the people obssessed about being in control of the subreddit, and I feel kinda sorry for the new moderator that needs to deal with it going forward. I won't be commenting in this thread anymore, and since I'm sure you will hear more stories on how horrible I am, I just ask you to think about the motives those people have - the main one being wanting to be in charge of the subreddit - so you should take anything they write with a grain of salt and don't accept it at face value.

I normally don't reply with harsh words but I'm gonna call the amount of edit: wrong in that response...

Aiden, you sat on the Reddit for nearly over a year, ignoring requests from us to merge...

Not only that, you also sat on 45+ reddits, when we tried to reason with you to at least add a mutal friend between us to run it, you started to mute, censor and even ban people... This, hasn't stopped either... Several other users that are not even mods of either subreddit have been censored out during the past few days, just because they asked what was going on...

And we all know you're still mod of the reddit as well, the new moderator you so call "mod team" is no one the community knows or has heard of, a part from showing up a few days ago and being added to the mod list the same day the account was created... 

And the pictures in this thread are not fake, those are being directly taken from the Reddit to show the amount of censorship you've done and caused...

If you got to the Reddit you can see that you and your mod team have only showed up when the issue is made public

So please, "edit out", we asked you to help solve this but you declined, and censored us out...

So now, well let NQ handle it again.

Edited by Comrademoco