Once Again.... The Reddit Community

yamamushi

The last time I brought this up, the person in question was quick to show up here to try and defend themselves for leaving the subreddit in such a poor shape, but as of now that person has been suspended from Reddit and the subreddit has once again become neglected (could have predicted that...)

So, again, I am posting this to point people towards the better subreddit -> https://www.reddit.com/r/dualthegame/  (I'm not a mod there)

The other one was seemingly completely abandoned, with a 10-day old Reddit account currently "in charge" of it and a bot account put in to keep people from trying to request it from /r/redditrequest. 

Why am I bringing this up, again?

Because the success of Dual Universe depends entirely on the community and the way that it is reflected in various forms around the gaming world. It's hard to argue that Reddit doesn't have an impact on games, and there are plenty of vibrant Reddit Gaming communities out there that interact back and forth with devs and give the impression that their games are healthy (full of players) and still active.

If a random user were to come across /r/dualuniverse, they'd see months old posts sitting around, a completely unresponsive mod team, and a sidebar that to this day is full of incorrect information (the old mod refused to remove No Man's Sky as a related subreddit, for example). 

That's a disappointment because of the work that the /r/dualthegame mods put into making their subreddit active and accurate, yet because one person buried their head in the sand and refused to lift a finger for their subreddit, /r/dualuniverse is going to continue to get more traffic and subscribers regardless of how bad it is. 

So why post this? 

Because if we want DU to survive into the future, and to continue growing and be seen as an active community, we should do our part to continue directing people to what is the best reflection on it (and /r/dualuniverse is not it).

So if you're on Reddit, or you know Redditors who are into Dual Universe, point them towards /r/dualthegame. 

And to the person responsible for the mess that is /r/dualuniverse, you should feel ashamed of yourself for leaving this stain on the community. Plenty of people reached out to you asking you to fix the subreddit, instead you wanted to feel this imaginary power over the community, refused to do anything about the mess you left, spread a bunch of misinformation about me on the subreddit and discord, and then got yourself suspended from Reddit leaving the subreddit in the condition that it's in now. 

If we look at the situation with what happened to the ark community on reddit, I really feel action should be taken before alpha comes out because when I got banned for when I msging the mod about just a normal question, it should not be a thing others should have to deal with. (For those that don't know the r/ark sub is ran by 1 person and a bot with 35k subs while /r/playark which is the official one with multiple mods that care is only at 31k subs.)

I completely agree that the dualuniverse sub is not what the front page of this game should look like with all it's outdated content and a mod team on there that doesn't seem to show respect for the game or those with dissenting opinions. However on an important site like Reddit (going to use the word important loosely here) if anything should be done, now should be the time before this game grows bigger.

I'm excited for this game and can't wait for it to come out, but for many new people who don't know about the game yet that we want to join, we need a "golden" entrance that people see an active community therefore enticing new players to join us for this game.

Usually don't go on reddit, but I agree with your points on how vital it is to the DU community to clean up and maintain what may essentially be someone's first impression of the game.

I'll keep a lookout and try to direct any reddit peeps I know of to see if they're up to it.

I don't know anything about Reddit, but wouldn't NQ be able to reach out to Reddit and request that they have power over it? Or at least have it redirected to /r/dualthegame ?

45 minutes ago, Kael said:

I don't know anything about Reddit, but wouldn't NQ be able to reach out to Reddit and request that they have power over it? Or at least have it redirected to /r/dualthegame ?

Thats not how that works. If it did, imagine if some companies use this to maliciously hide information that is outside the subreddit they moderate (such as a community run subreddit that shows how bad the devs are)

1 hour ago, Kael said:

Not going to put it all out in the open, but Reddit's response throughout this whole situation for the past year has pretty much been "lol oh well not our problem".

It baffles me why someone who doesn't even support the game demanded to be in charge of the subreddit for the game (as several people tried reasoning with him to try and clean up the subreddit and get more competent people in charge). Then as soon as they were called out on the hypocrisy, they showed up on the forums, made one or two posts to try and make it seem like they were willing to be part of the community and then vanished again. 

And because of the nature of how Reddit's are transferred to different owners, there is almost zero chance that /r/dualuniverse will ever be put into someone's hands who can really take care of it like it should be. 

Alas, it's on us to make it clear which subreddit we believe represents us (the community) more. 

1 hour ago, Kane Hart said:

This is normal for reddit. Just use the subreddit you have now and just get most people to support it and fansites etc as well. Drama weekly over it will not change it. 

That's the point of this, to tell people about it and to stress why I'm telling people about it. I also don't own any of the DU subreddits. 

So if /r/dualthegame is abandoned and in bad shape, not moderated and largely filled with outdated information...
I'm not a redditor, but please tell me what prevents us from opening another DU subreddit like /r/dualuniversegame? is it just to prevent cluttering or is it because nobody wants to moderate a subreddit?

27 minutes ago, Croomar said:

So if /r/dualthegame is abandoned and in bad shape, not moderated and largely filled with outdated information...
I'm not a redditor, but please tell me what prevents us from opening another DU subreddit like /r/dualuniversegame? is it just to prevent cluttering or is it because nobody wants to moderate a subreddit?

/r/dualthegame is correctly moderated. The /r/dualuniverse some kid who just wants fame / power.

The devs should not have control of either of these subreddits only the fans/community. 

But surely if the devs have at least 1 moderator on there then they can at least keep it alive and free from being abandoned?

At least they would be able to remove/appoint new moderators who actually want to help

Even if it was being worked on, it still not a good sign that it even exists. It means there's a potential to split the community. That should be avoided, since as yama mentioned, the community is important to the popularity and success of the game.

I am not very familiar with how reddit works, but doesn't whichever is the most active/popular subreddit get higher google recognition? I don't like the fact that the subreddit with the more official game name is run by someone who doesn't seem to care, but I would assume there is also some way to vote this subreddit away from them in the future if needed. If that was the case, we should be able to just continue having the more "official" stay active to gain new members.

That's how it works on Google Rankings, the problem is that the subreddit /r/dualuniverse is going to get more traffic because the name of the game is "Dual Universe" as opposed to "Dual The Game". Based simply out of virtue of having that subreddit name, it will continue to get more traffic regardless of how good /r/dualthegame is. The only way that /r/dualthegame is going to the top of the Google rankings is if it gets more members, and right now /r/dualuniverse has over twice as many subscribers (and arguably much more traffic). 

The naming problem even happened with the domain name for dualuniverse.com, as NQ has to use dualthegame.com (and this happened with the Twitter account too apparently but that was a long time ago). I've looked into how much dualuniverse.com is, and the current owners want several thousand dollars for it >_< 

As an aside, don't bother mentioning /r/dualthegame on /r/dualuniverse as the auto-moderator there is configured to auto filter any mentions of it. Several of us have had our comments instantly deleted simply for bringing it up. It's b/s that they would go so far as to try and silence anyone mentioning another subreddit, but that is what is happening.

In regards to having NQ moderate a subreddit, I don't think any of us want NQ to moderate any subreddits. I'd rather them not have to get involved in Reddit anymore because of the poor response that the Reddit admins have given to the whole situation, it's effectively a huge waste of time to try resolving it that way. I get the impression that NQ doesn't want to be involved in it either. 

I'm not concerned about /r/dualthegame losing moderators or losing quality simply because there are so many dedicated mods there that are pretty deeply involved in the Dual Universe community. Let's just say that I have way more faith in them doing a good job than an automated bot running things.

I do want to point out that the mods of /r/dualuniverse are still unknown to any of us here, they just don't seem to be very interested in interacting with anyone (they won't even respond to mod mail on Reddit). I'm sure that this could all be resolved and the subreddits merged and things would just work out if they were open to communicating and letting good people run things, but they've either refused or ignored any efforts towards that. All we've wanted is for someone that cares about the game to moderate the subreddit that is going to be the face of DU on Reddit.

This is all on us, the community, to make things right. 

I mean... isn't this (the forums and the main page) the main site for the game? If someone only uses google once goes to one website and bases everything off of that, is that really a loss? They weren't really interested if they are turned off that quickly. Wouldn't logic dictate that if someone who found the game through a google search they would click on multiple links to get info? Besides I just tested this and when you google dual universe the main site is the first on the list, followed by youtube videos of the game.

Don't think I've ever seen a game community that only has one or two sources of info, usually there is many and yes some will be antiquated and poorly run compared to others. When I tell people about the game I don't tell them to use google or reddit which I don't even use I tell them to come here to the actual main websites of the game.

Not trying to sound negative or rude but just don't see what the actual issue or problem is. If you want to promote your favorite sites for the game then great but not sure that we really need Monthly posts about this and how someone isn't managing a website properly. Word of mouth is a great tool for these type of indie KS games and I very much doubt one webpage out of likely hundreds will have any real effect.

We have two sprinklers watering a lawn:

There's one that's clearly superior. It can spread water further and faster and isn't going to break any time soon. It doesn't leak and is very reliable.

The inferior sprinkler is just terrible: short range, leaky nozzle, grinds gears, taints the water, and looks in bad shape.

But there's a problem: the inferior sprinkler is further up the line than the superior one. The inferior sprinkler is using pretty much all the water and the superior sprinkler is getting barely anything. With no pressure for the better sprinkler, it's unable to shoot much more than a dribble.

As a result, part of lawn is being poisoned and will die. The other part gets no water, and will die. The obvious solution is to get rid of the inferior sprinkler, unfortunately, the line appears to be set in concrete a few inches below the ground.

That's the issue we all face here.

27 minutes ago, Velenka said:

We have two sprinklers watering a lawn:

There's one that's clearly superior. It can spread water further and faster and isn't going to break any time soon. It doesn't leak and is very reliable.

The inferior sprinkler is just terrible: short range, leaky nozzle, grinds gears, taints the water, and looks in bad shape.

But there's a problem: the inferior sprinkler is further up the line than the superior one. The inferior sprinkler is using pretty much all the water and the superior sprinkler is getting barely anything. With no pressure for the better sprinkler, it's unable to shoot much more than a dribble.

As a result, part of lawn is being poisoned and will die. The other part gets no water, and will die. The obvious solution is to get rid of the inferior sprinkler, unfortunately, the line appears to be set in concrete a few inches below the ground.

Unless going to that reddit site blocks ones internet from using other websites your analogy doesn't work.  

If you think that one website won't have any effect on the game, you clearly don't understand the impact that Reddit has had on games of all different genres. 

The problem isn't having too many sources of info, the problem is that one of those sources of info is going to end pushing people away in the early stages of the game where community building is incredibly important.

Perhaps you just don't understand Reddit. 

Not to mention that I've had several people contact me or mods from the subreddit asking why the other one is in such a bad condition. If there are random strangers putting in the effort to reach out like that, undoubtedly there are more people who feel the same way but just haven't said anything about it yet.

Actually I don't agree with you at all at that point. Reddit is self modding most the time. As long as the community is strong things should be fine. If it grows big enough and they fuck around you can actually petition reddit admins to get evolved. But they have to be doing something wrong and so far their just holding onto it and pissing a few people off.

Be there to give the correct info don't leave it to only newbies to just cause issues. 

2 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

If you think that one website won't have any effect on the game, you clearly don't understand the impact that Reddit has had on games of all different genres. 

The problem isn't having too many sources of info, the problem is that one of those sources of info is going to end pushing people away in the early stages of the game where community building is incredibly important.

Perhaps you just don't understand Reddit. 

I understand gaming community's and specifically MMO game community's. There are usually lots of sites with info on that game. Some good some bad.

Besides I went to both of the reddit sites and besides background and colors they look pretty much the same.  Didn't see anything on the one you don't like that would scare anyone away. There is recent posts and links to various dev videos. Also has links to the main sites for the game as well. So yeah no idea whats so scary about the page beyond the fact that its just not run the way you want it to be. The way you make it sound its like the page is actively trying to ruin the game.  Promote the one you like and move on. All I'm saying is I just don't see the point for the drama and scare tactics because of one single website out of many.

1 hour ago, Velenka said:

That was literally the perfect example, how did you come up with that?

@Pang_Dread

I admit the analogy isn't perfect, if only because you misunderstand. Certainly the internet doesn't work that way, but people do. People using a certain subreddit may not understand that there are other subreddits covering the same subject. It's especially true when /r/dualuniverse is actively removing all mentions of /r/dualthegame.

In a game whose foundation is built upon a community, it's incredibly important to keep that community alive, intact, and growing. More so than any other game. Dividing that community, even if done well, is just not a good idea. Wrecking the community could sink the game.

Not just that, but /r/dualuniverse isn't being managed properly. The issue isn't the visual web design or the content (currently), but with the mods there. Yama has tried more than once to contact them about a merger, but so far they have been resistant or unresponsive about it. Mods who go on with a blatant disregard for both the studio and its community is clearly not suited for the job.

And clearly, the effort that yama and others put into /r/dualthegame should not be ignored, so yes, it is very important that /r/dualthegame should become the dominant subreddit.

I want to point out that I'm not a mod on /r/dualthegame anymore.

Discord is enough for me, and although I help out on various other DU-related communities, I know I wouldn't do a very good job of being a subreddit mod for any communities related to the game.